Water damage/warranty help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 11:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2021 GLB 250
Water damage/warranty help

Hi all,

I could use some advice. I have a leased 2021 GLB 250, bought in upstate NY but reregistered in California when we moved. Drove back to NY for a visit and on the last day of the drive the dashboard display went black. Brought the car to the dealer who leased it to us and they discovered water damage due to a clogged a/c drain. They say parts to fix it won’t be here until January!! We have had a loaner for a month but they don’t want us to take it out of state, nor do we want to leave without our car only to have to come back for it next year. We are technically on a trip away from home so could try to use Mercedes’ trip interruption coverage but details on that are scarce.

what would you do? What are our options. We have 28k miles on it so technically beyond NY lemon law. I would like them to give us a loaner or different car and then ship our car to California when it’s repaired. Is this realistic? The kicker is we are scheduled to leave in 4 business days from now, so whatever happens needs to happen fast. Thanks for any advice you may have!
The following users liked this post:
dvenneman (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 12:37 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
E350 4matic Wagon
Lease provisions

I’m assuming the vehicle is inoperable until replacement parts come in

Have a NY attorney review the lease with a view to cancellation. If they will not let you take the loaner out of state, do what you can to cancel the lease as they have breached the contract and warranties of merchantability and use. Unless the loaner can move with you, it is the dealer/mfg that is in breach of the lease terms.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:31 PM

2021 GLB 250
thank you, super helpful reply! the dealer says they will have an update for us today. we will keep this in our back pocket in case they can't come to a satisfactory resolution.
The following users liked this post:
dvenneman (08-26-2022)
Old 01-11-2023, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Originally Posted by pavo33
Hi all,

I could use some advice. I have a leased 2021 GLB 250, bought in upstate NY but reregistered in California when we moved. Drove back to NY for a visit and on the last day of the drive the dashboard display went black. Brought the car to the dealer who leased it to us and they discovered water damage due to a clogged a/c drain. They say parts to fix it won’t be here until January!! We have had a loaner for a month but they don’t want us to take it out of state, nor do we want to leave without our car only to have to come back for it next year. We are technically on a trip away from home so could try to use Mercedes’ trip interruption coverage but details on that are scarce.

what would you do? What are our options. We have 28k miles on it so technically beyond NY lemon law. I would like them to give us a loaner or different car and then ship our car to California when it’s repaired. Is this realistic? The kicker is we are scheduled to leave in 4 business days from now, so whatever happens needs to happen fast. Thanks for any advice you may have!
Hi, I have a similar situation. Bought a lightly water damaged 2022 GLB 250. The car runs. But the dashboard display is black. I would like to know what parts get water damaged in your car. I can use this info to figure out my car’s issue. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-11-2023, 10:17 PM

2021 GLB 250
update is that MB corporate bought us out of the lease after we could not identify a suitable replacement car for a "make good" lease replacement on the dealer lot. very fair settlement, in my estimation, probably because it helped them avoid a lemon law buyback title (they did not want to discuss lemon law at all with me, but it was clear that was why they were offering favorable terms). it did take 3 months to finally get the check, and I am now waiting on the NY State tax refund.

to answer your question, the electronics are apparently under the driver's seat and also behind the dash. sorry I don't know more than that. they did say the a/c drain was improperly installed leading to the water damage. we had also driven through a heavy rainstorm and were driving cross country, so many hours of operation per day, for multiple days. either way, the car was clearly not built to snuff to not be able to "survive" that sort of usage. I hope that helps!
Old 01-12-2023, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Originally Posted by pavo33
update is that MB corporate bought us out of the lease after we could not identify a suitable replacement car for a "make good" lease replacement on the dealer lot. very fair settlement, in my estimation, probably because it helped them avoid a lemon law buyback title (they did not want to discuss lemon law at all with me, but it was clear that was why they were offering favorable terms). it did take 3 months to finally get the check, and I am now waiting on the NY State tax refund.

to answer your question, the electronics are apparently under the driver's seat and also behind the dash. sorry I don't know more than that. they did say the a/c drain was improperly installed leading to the water damage. we had also driven through a heavy rainstorm and were driving cross country, so many hours of operation per day, for multiple days. either way, the car was clearly not built to snuff to not be able to "survive" that sort of usage. I hope that helps!
I am glad that you got a favorable settlement. Thanks for the quick response.