GLB Class (X247) Produced 2020 to Present

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLB
Windshield Replacement

I bought the GLB about a year ago. May 2022 to be exact.

Within 24 of ownership my windshield cracked on what felt like a small pebble.

Fast forward to July 4th weekend this year, 2023 and another rock jumps out and grabs it and another crack.

Had it replaced on Friday and driving home today, Monday, another small pebble jumped up and cracked the windshield.

This is getting ridiculously frustrating.

Is this a design flaw?

Im over it. Legit feel like I can’t drive it.

Anyone else having this issue?
Old 07-17-2023, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 430 Likes on 355 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
Search this forum. Others have complained about it. I don’t know if there is a remedy, though. Our 2021 GLB250 had a small chip last year that turned into a bona fide crack in the hot sun. The new windshield has a star shaped crack from a large rock that was epoxy stabilized and is still okay. But we live in the “land of road debris” (20’ extension ladders are not unheard of). We always carry “crap on the road” coverage on our insurance. Didn’t think anything more of it.
Old 07-18-2023, 09:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLB250
I drove my GLK for 9 years on a ton of road trips, not one chip/crack. Took the GLB on it's 3rd road trip, big chip on the windshield. Cost $1200 CDN to fix with OE glass. I think the windshield is angled a tad higher than normal...just a guess, I haven't measured the slope of it.
Old 07-20-2023, 11:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GLK 350 4matic
No modern car has a windshield angle taller than the GLK! I'm shopping for a replacement windshield right now...
Old 08-09-2023, 11:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLB 250 4 MATIC 2022
Originally Posted by Libs_22
I bought the GLB about a year ago. May 2022 to be exact.

Within 24 of ownership my windshield cracked on what felt like a small pebble.

Fast forward to July 4th weekend this year, 2023 and another rock jumps out and grabs it and another crack.

Had it replaced on Friday and driving home today, Monday, another small pebble jumped up and cracked the windshield.

This is getting ridiculously frustrating.

Is this a design flaw?

Im over it. Legit feel like I can’t drive it.

Anyone else having this issue?
Same issue... The chip that hit that windshield is tiny and still managed to crack And open up diagonally... Windshield quality itself is lower compared to other MB models.
Old 08-10-2023, 01:08 AM

2014 GLK 350 4matic
Our GLKs have some of the most upright windshields of any modern vehicle. I like that, for better visibility (and shorter A-pillars). But a flatter, more laid-back windshield would tend to bounce rocks away, rather than taking the impact squarely. The unknown thing that hit my car would have dented any surface, and since glass doesn't dent, it would break it. This one sounded more like a stove bolt than an ordinary piece of gravel.

My repair was ably done by Startech, an indy shop here in Denver. The only hitch was that I had to drop the car off twice. The first scheduled day, the contract glass tech was involved in a wreck on the way to work. No wonder our insurance rates are so high here...
Old 08-16-2023, 10:21 AM

LEXUS RX 2023
I can definitely understand how frustrating it must be to have your windshield crack multiple times in such a short period after purchasing your GLB. It's unusual for this to happen frequently and might not necessarily be a design flaw with the vehicle itself. It could just be a string of unfortunate incidents involving road debris.

However, considering the frequency of these incidents, it might be worth exploring whether there could be any external factors contributing to the issue. Sometimes, road conditions or certain driving environments can increase the likelihood of windshield damage. If you're seeking further advice or insights, you could consider discussing this matter with professionals at a windshield repair center like Dr. Rock Chip (www.coloradochip.com). They might be able to offer more specific guidance based on your experiences and vehicle model. Remember, you're not alone in these frustrations, and seeking expert opinions could provide you with some clarity and potential solutions.
Old 08-16-2023, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We have a lot of vehicles and always carry extended road debris coverage because that’s a common cause of damage where we live. I don’t know if it’s available everywhere. But over the past 3 years, evidence shows it has something to do with the design of the vehicles. The GLB is on its 2nd and that one is cracked and epoxy stabilized. The GLK was cracked when we retired it. The F-350 is on its 2nd. The XT6 has a large star shaped crack below the wipers. And it’s interesting that none of the sedans or sports cars have cracked windshields, but most of the trucks and SUVs do. Is it the slope of the windshield? Maybe the less upright glass deflects the impact. Or is it the height above the roadway? Maybe the majority of the debris is going over the top of the sedans and coupes but hitting the taller vehicles. The windshield of the F-350 is between 5½ and 8 feet from the ground and it was broken almost immediately, which lends support to that theory.
Old 08-17-2023, 02:25 PM

Received 158 Likes on 118 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
I had a chip damage on the glk windshield and I got one rock chip with a star on GLB last evening driving from work. I was not in a construction zone, but the rock came from a fast driving tow truck...I opened the website here and see this post at the top... Hopefully repair will be done tomorrow and see how much it will be gone...
Old 08-24-2023, 02:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLB250
Originally Posted by AJCNADFJKA
I can definitely understand how frustrating it must be to have your windshield crack multiple times in such a short period after purchasing your GLB. It's unusual for this to happen frequently and might not necessarily be a design flaw with the vehicle itself. It could just be a string of unfortunate incidents involving road debris.

However, considering the frequency of these incidents, it might be worth exploring whether there could be any external factors contributing to the issue. Sometimes, road conditions or certain driving environments can increase the likelihood of windshield damage. If you're seeking further advice or insights, you could consider discussing this matter with professionals at a windshield repair center like Dr. Rock Chip (www.coloradochip.com). They might be able to offer more specific guidance based on your experiences and vehicle model. Remember, you're not alone in these frustrations, and seeking expert opinions could provide you with some clarity and potential solutions.
This definitely reads like a bot!
Old 11-19-2023, 04:36 PM

GLB 250
I got my first chip a few weeks ago n my 2020 GLB. took 3 years but still a bummer. GEICO full glass coverage is awesome though!
Old 05-29-2024, 01:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2022 GLB250
Well, you can add me to this team. I drove my Solara and Sonata for years in crappy roads and was pelted with bigger rocks and sounding louder than what hit my GLB yesterday afternoon. Most I got on those cars was small pits and one chip that was about 1/4 inch.
The rock that hit my windshield caused a similar sized chip, but for some reason the windshield also cracked from inside the glass and looks bad. The outside, except the actual place of impact, is smooth as is the windshiedl from inside the car.

Safelite says it'll be $379.99 for a new windshield and installation. Seems very cheap to me. Anyone have experience with these guys?
Old 05-30-2024, 10:08 PM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
GLC EQB GLS C300 convertible
Originally Posted by kgzero
Well, you can add me to this team. I drove my Solara and Sonata for years in crappy roads and was pelted with bigger rocks and sounding louder than what hit my GLB yesterday afternoon. Most I got on those cars was small pits and one chip that was about 1/4 inch.
The rock that hit my windshield caused a similar sized chip, but for some reason the windshield also cracked from inside the glass and looks bad. The outside, except the actual place of impact, is smooth as is the windshiedl from inside the car.

Safelite says it'll be $379.99 for a new windshield and installation. Seems very cheap to me. Anyone have experience with these guys?
How can windscreen be so cheap?

Old 05-30-2024, 10:09 PM

2014 GLK 350 4matic
Well, it IS a small windshield, by today's standards.
Old 05-31-2024, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kgzero

That’s about right for a Safelight aftermarket windshield. They should also be able to get an MB OE one now. I had mine done at a dealer because Safelight couldn’t get one during the supply chain problems. It was only $711 at the dealer. GLBs don’t have the heat reflecting feature or the electric defrosting layer that runs the price up. Mine doesn’t even have the green or blue tint. Excellent service from our local Safelight shop on our other vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
kgzero (06-01-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 12:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2022 GLB250
Thanks I'll ask about getting an OE windshield.