GLB Class (X247) Produced 2020 to Present

2021 GLB 250 - Currently Leasing | Not sure if I should keep the car at lease end

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2024, 12:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLB250
2021 GLB 250 - Currently Leasing | Not sure if I should keep the car at lease end

Hi.

My lease is maturing in couple months and 1st I was thinking of just returning the car or doing a trade in for a '21/'22 GLE CPO. But now I'm thinking that maybe keeping the unit is the best option for me as the residual will be less than the GLE CPO and of course I'm the only owner on the GLB250. I'm at 35k miles and I haven't got the Cylinder Head issue yet... I know MB did an extended warranty extension on it for 15 years / 150k miles. I did got the Check Engine Light at 13k miles with code P019185 (Rail Pressure sensor malfunction) and P02FF02 (Frequency counter 'Downtime of drivetrain' has a malfunction). They installed all new 4 injectors, the fuel rail pressure sensor and the high pressure fuel pump. After that all good with the car so far.. no major issues... just minor stuff like the crappy USB-C port for Carplay that is very flaky and the rattle on the speaker in the front passenger side door.

I know that the cylinder head issues may popup any time. I like the car and it has some good MB packages on it. I reached out for a quote on ELW to have an idea on pricing and got the following numbers for my current 35k miles:

5YR/75k - 2020
6YR/75k - 2260
7YR/75k - 2630
7YR/100k - 3480

Also PPM 2 Services - 1630 and 3 Services - 2290.

I was thinking of getting the 7YR/100k ELW but not the PPM and find an indy shop in my area that can work on it. This is my 1st MB Car.. so trying to cover all bases.. and also trying to get some advise from other MB owners...
Old 06-02-2024, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 430 Likes on 355 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
We have a ’21 GLB250 and a ‘21 GLA250. Both have the same engine and drive train and both have had the cylinder head replaced. Our ‘23 GLA250 is okay so far, but only 20k miles. Our service manager says that after the head is replaced it will not fail again because of design changes. The GLB250 now has ~65k miles, so time will tell.

The GLB250 carries a lot of passengers (7 seat model), gets a lot of hard use, some of it off-road, and has been very serviceable so far. We usually retire our MBs around 155k-190k miles but these are our first ones below the C-Class level, so they’re “new” to us.

Even if the cylinder head is replaced under the extended warranty, MBs are more expensive to fix than domestics even at indie shops, so factor in the cost of a good warranty.

I agree with using an indie German car shop for routine maintenance. Don’t forget to service that DCT at 60k miles - it has clutches that need fresh fluid to continue working properly for the life of the vehicle.

Also, get the dealer to replace that USB-C port in the console. It’s cover under the original warranty.

Last edited by Odd Piggy; 06-02-2024 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2024, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLB250
Originally Posted by Odd Piggy
We have a ’21 GLB250 and a ‘21 GLA250. Both have the same engine and drive train and both have had the cylinder head replaced. Our ‘23 GLA250 is okay so far, but only 20k miles. Our service manager says that after the head is replaced it will not fail again because of design changes. The GLB250 now has ~65k miles, so time will tell.

The GLB250 carries a lot of passengers (7 seat model), gets a lot of hard use, some of it off-road, and has been very serviceable so far. We usually retire our MBs around 155k-190k miles but these are our first ones below the C-Class level, so they’re “new” to us.

Even if the cylinder head is replaced under the extended warranty, MBs are more expensive to fix than domestics even at indie shops, so factor in the cost of a good warranty.

I agree with using an indie German car shop for routine maintenance. Don’t forget to service that DCT at 60k miles - it has clutches that need fresh fluid to continue working properly for the life of the vehicle.

Also, get the dealer to replace that USB-C port in the console. It’s cover under the original warranty.

DTC is listed on the service sheet at 60k and 120k. I do have the service sheet for the 2022 and not the 2021.. I'm unable to find the 2021 on the Web but they should be very similar.

On the USB-C port, It was replaced already but it is a piece of junk... I opted for connecting a wireless adapter for using CarPlay wirelessly and that way I don't need to touch that port.

I still have a few months on the lease.... I will continue looking for ELW quotes for comparison for when the time comes... There are 2 things I wish I have on the car.

1. The Automatic High Bean Control - Talked to RJ for coding it but I'm missing a windscreen camera
2. The Distronic Plus - I will do this later on with RJ Coding.. already did Start Stop Remember Last setting, AMG Menus, Driving Mode, etc.gh beam

control
Automatic high beam control
Old 06-03-2024, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 430 Likes on 355 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
Originally Posted by embeleco
DTC is listed on the service sheet at 60k and 120k. I do have the service sheet for the 2022 and not the 2021.. I'm unable to find the 2021 on the Web but they should be very similar.

On the USB-C port, It was replaced already but it is a piece of junk... I opted for connecting a wireless adapter for using CarPlay wirelessly and that way I don't need to touch that port.

I still have a few months on the lease.... I will continue looking for ELW quotes for comparison for when the time comes... There are 2 things I wish I have on the car.

1. The Automatic High Bean Control - Talked to RJ for coding it but I'm missing a windscreen camera
2. The Distronic Plus - I will do this later on with RJ Coding.. already did Start Stop Remember Last setting, AMG Menus, Driving Mode, etc.gh b[size=33px]
[/size]
As far as I know, the service sheets for all the 247 chassis are essentially the same for 2020-2023.

Dealer got tired of replacing my USB-C port and stabilized it with RTV adhesive, with a note that it will be harder to replace if it breaks again.

For the DISTRONIC + I believe you’ll need to replace the steering wheel button panel. BTW - if you have the illuminated star, you’ll have to swap it to the standard one.

Start stop on mine is coded out completely. Button is inactive.