GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

2016 GLC BlueTec or RX Hybrid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota
Did head or heart win?

Well here we are months later. I test drove the GLC, Lexus RX and the Jaguar F-Pace (which wasn't even on my radar last year). All VERY nice vehicles.

I was really WOWed by the Jag. They really nailed it--fun, solid, quiet and smooth with just the right amount of damping over bumps without being soft. I though it was love at first blush. But then the question of comfort popped, and hard. The seats are great; the most comfortable of the three vehicles. However for me there is a big problem. The seat does not have an independent control to drop the front to alleviate back thigh pressure. Deal killer right there for me. This car is modeled for taller people with relatively long calves. I don't fit the model, and then there are not enough seat adjustments for me to get comfortable. What a shame. The only other thing I found not up to standard is the transmission hump that protrudes too far into the driver's footwell impeding leg comfort.

Next Lexus RX: the luxurious, smooth-riding (almost to a fault), impeccably reliable CUV that set the standard for the luxury market. How can it get better any than that? Well, lol, a little excitement would help. I found the drive B O R I N G! I also thought the vehicle had a bit to much movement over bumps and I really could feel even small changes in road surfaces. But at the same time it had a sort-of floating sensation. To me weird. Oh, and that mouse-like controller, horrible! I found it somewhat noisy inside also, and we won't talk about the exterior styling again.

Okay, drum roll: Mercedes-Benz GLC--what a gorgeous vehicle! Wow. Inside and out every attention was given to detail. The ride is smooth but somewhat sporty, not a sports car drive, but never boring. The interior is comfortable and functional with no disappointments. And it's quiet inside--very quiet. The driving position is good with plenty of seat adjustments to find comfort. I think I just fell in love!

So the heart wins. I will wait for the diesel because I live rural, and regeneration will not be a problem. I'll save on fuel to benefit both my wallet and the environment. Win-win. I can't wait until fall. This is going to be an excruciatingly painful summer! Lol

Last edited by Sheddah; 05-24-2016 at 10:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Alex Bel (05-24-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 05:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 220d Sport Premium Plus/Offroad pkg
Originally Posted by Teckno
Hi,
Great discussion. This is the very question we have battled with; Lexus, Mercedes, GLC or RX Hybrid ?
GLC much cheaper, even with option build. Cost of ownership still worries me with MB, given I want to keep this one for at least 10 + years, time will tell.
Cheers.
Good to know at least one other owner shares our philosophy - we tend to buy a new car every 12-14 years, when we've looked after the previous one and got our money's worth! It does seem that most new cars are pitched firmly at buyers who will keep the vehicle for perhaps 3 years and this is reflected in the options, pricing and in M-B's case, the awful reputation for, and cost of, dealer servicing. When considering the total cost of ownership for a long-term purchase, the decision is much harder. We checked out the RX before ordering a GLC but we were worried about what all those batteries will be like in a decade's time and went for the traditional diesel GLC.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Hi we own a 3 year old RX 270X, straight 4 cal petrol. Now have a GLC 250d, with 6000km. Looked at the new JAG F-Pace, not driven yet. We love the reliability and Dealer service for the Lexus. Will test drive RX 450h. Yes batteries might be an issue in 8 years, but here in Oz the RX is about $30k more than the GLC (which is not standard and has a number of packs). My $30 k might reduce to $20k with discounts. The F-Pace is around $28k dearer than our GLC too, minor discount might be possible, but even at $20k differance, we are struggling to not purchase a second GLC.
Yes reliability and life of type operating costs, incl reliability might be an issue. I usually prefer to spread risk across several different brands in the driveway. The GLC and the Lexus replacement will be keepers as we age !
The GLC continues to kick goals, just next time no side steps, nil cost option.
VW Tiguan is yet to be released, but I doubt it will be Lux enough to match the GLC.
So still not sure yet..... Will keep looking, but time is running out given order delays for GLC.
Cheers
Old 05-25-2016, 07:49 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 220d Sport
Originally Posted by MartynW
Good to know at least one other owner shares our philosophy - we tend to buy a new car every 12-14 years, when we've looked after the previous one and got our money's worth! It does seem that most new cars are pitched firmly at buyers who will keep the vehicle for perhaps 3 years and this is reflected in the options, pricing and in M-B's case, the awful reputation for, and cost of, dealer servicing. When considering the total cost of ownership for a long-term purchase, the decision is much harder. We checked out the RX before ordering a GLC but we were worried about what all those batteries will be like in a decade's time and went for the traditional diesel GLC.
Wow Martyn, talk about brother from another mother! Just sold our immaculate customised 4WD pickup truck after 13.5 years to make way for the GLC which we'll now keep for at least 12 years until we buy that new fully autonomous hydrogen fuel celled transport or perhaps a hovercar Coming from a pickup truck, the ride in the GLC was akin to a religious experience. We put a big emphasis on comfort hence we optioned air suspension and 18-inch wheels. I accept the drive may not be as engaging as the other German brands but we've also got a 27-year old TVR a.k.a. The Red Throbber should we yearn for spinal injury or loose fillings.

I'd feel very nervous after 6 years ownership of a new hybrid knowing the effect a replacement battery bank will have of residual value. I can see how a leasing agreement makes more sense with these jobbies.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC220
wrong thread