GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Intro and questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche Macan Turbo
Intro and questions

Hi all, new member looking to pick up a GLC for the wife, she's pretty much sold. Below are what we're looking at for options:

- White/Black
- Night Package
- Premium Package
- Multimedia Package
- Pano Roof

MSRP $48,785

Questions for the group:

- what are we missing?
- is the full leather upgrade worth it? we're set on black
- are most members here leasing or buying? this will be our first MB after owning multiple BMW, Lexus, Porsche cars- what are the reliability thoughts from some of the more experienced members?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to learning from everyone here.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 BMW 435i Coupe
Originally Posted by slw23
Hi all, new member looking to pick up a GLC for the wife, she's pretty much sold. Below are what we're looking at for options:

- White/Black
- Night Package
- Premium Package
- Multimedia Package
- Pano Roof

MSRP $48,785

Questions for the group:

- what are we missing?
- are most members here leasing or buying? this will be our first MB after owning multiple BMW, Lexus, Porsche cars- what are the reliability thoughts from some of the more experienced members?

I would recommend getting the lighting package with LED lights. The only other option is halogen lights. You will not like it. I just put in an order for the GLC and will be leasing. I will take a little hit on interest rate (i.e. MF) on a lease, but it gives me an option to walk away after 3 years if I see the car will be a nightmare to maintained.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
LEDs are a must have. Burmester is real nice. The rest is a matter of how much technology you want. My C Class has MB tex. MY GL I just got rid of had MB tex. It was absolutely fine, but ordered leather this time because my wife wanted it and it is really gorgeous. I ordered my car loaded. I am buying my car. I drive them till the wheels fall off. I buy the extended warranty.

Last edited by dieseldoc; 02-22-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not applicable

- White/Black
- Night Package
- Premium Package
- Multimedia Package
- Pano Roof

MSRP $48,785

Questions for the group:

- what are we missing?

IMHO, everyone has different preference. That's whole idea of "build your own" isn't it?

For example, you have Night package and Pano roof. However, I totally don't need those "add-on" stuff. Instead, I want full safety features such as Active BLIS, LKAS, auto-braking, dynamic cruise control, 360 degree parking camera.....

So how can people really answer you "what are we missing?"
Unless you want to select every option you can select~
Old 02-22-2016, 07:48 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 Mercedes E Class
LED are must.. It just makes the car look so much better driving in day time and night time.. If you had the 2 cars side by side you would you would understand.

Pano roof is great if you love the view it brings to front and rear passengers.

Most of other options are more so subjective to what you want/need... Actually even those options I mentioned are.. Haha. But the LED lights just makes this car look totally different.. And I live in Los Angeles, I don't "need" it but I wouldn't get the car without them.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 250
I would consider the LED lights a "must have" option. They do make a significant difference in night time driving - I wouldn't want to go back.

As others have said, most options are quite subjective, both in terms of the owner's preference and the area in which they live. If you do either (or both) a lot of highway or a lot of stop and go traffic I would recommend the Distronic with steering assist. It works a treat and really makes these two types of driving less bothersome.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:04 AM

Porsche Macan Turbo
Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like the LED lights are something we should add to our build. I'm really on the fence about the leather upgrade- definitely need to see the MB tex up close, as the GLC we spent time with had full leather and it was great. I also did full leather on my car, it's amazing and well worth it IMO. The Burm is a bargain compared to the $4700 Porsche wanted. How is the standard system in the GLC?

And yes, I do know options and color choices are personal and subjective, but isn't one of the purposes of these forums to get other opinions? Again, appreciate the thoughts.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:53 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 350D GLC 250D, Previous vehicles W204, W164, W163, W210 & W202
Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like the LED lights are something we should add to our build. I'm really on the fence about the leather upgrade- definitely need to see the MB tex up close, as the GLC we spent time with had full leather and it was great. I also did full leather on my car, it's amazing and well worth it IMO. The Burm is a bargain compared to the $4700 Porsche wanted. How is the standard system in the GLC?

And yes, I do know options and color choices are personal and subjective, but isn't one of the purposes of these forums to get other opinions? Again, appreciate the thoughts.
The standard sound system is fine at normal listening volumes, it only has 4 speakers and a sub you only tend to notice its shortfalls when you crank it up.

The LED's are definitely worth it as they are a improvement on the xenon's.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:41 AM

2014 Mercedes E Class
The MBTex is also fine too.. If you went to sit in it without thinking of leather.. You wouldn't complain.. The main thing you get is the Ambient lighting.. So if the lights are worth a few grand.. If you looking to save, just go with the MB Tex... See if you can get to a dealer and sit inside. I'm sure they a dealer has at least one with MBTex.

Also are you planning to buy or lease? That could also play a role too.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 250
We have got the Burmester audio as that was quite important to me, but we also test drove a GLC without it - from what I recall, the standard audio system sounded fine.

The GLC comes standard with the leather in the Australia so I am not too familiar with the MB-Tex for the seats. But I can tell you that the door panels, dashboard, etc. in my car are MB-Tex - and I have trouble telling the difference to the leather that's on the seats.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:00 PM

Porsche Macan Turbo
Great additional follow up, thanks all!

We're still unsure whether to lease or buy. I've never owned or really even considered a MB, so I'm hesitant to buy. Know nothing of the long term reliability (yet). That said, I also told myself after my last lease (BMW), I wouldn't lease again because I hated the feeling of walking away with nothing after paying all that money. Pros/cons to both leasing & owning for sure.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:15 PM

2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
I like having a new car every few years so leasing makes more sense for me. I'm ok with the knowledge that over time, it's costing me more money for the convenience. On the opposite side of the spectrum, if you are concerned about value and getting the most for your money, then buying used is the best bet to avoid the immediate depreciation the moment it's driven off the lot and keep it for 8-10 years.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:33 PM

2014 Mercedes E Class
Same here after 2 years.. Maybe 3 years at the most I get the itch for something totally new and I'm always with peace of mind because the warrentee never expires. Usually a car refreshes every 3/4 years too, so even if it's the same Class, it will be a different look with new standard features.

If you plan to keep the car for 7-10 years and you plan to get the ELW, then you def should consider buying.. But if you don't like keeping cars for 10 years, and rather have something new, go ahead and lease especially considering its your first time with MB just to see what the experience is like for yourself
Old 02-27-2016, 05:36 PM

Porsche Macan Turbo
We may up leasing this vehicle, will decide when it comes in.

On the options, surprised no one mentioned the Advanced Parking Assist package. After having parking sensors on my last two vehicles, I feel like it's a must have. For whatever reason, I thought parking sensors were standard- glad we double checked that today at the dealership. Surround view and the hands free access, while I don't feel are necessary, I'm sure will be useful given it's part of the package. I think we're close to finalizing our build.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
We may up leasing this vehicle, will decide when it comes in.

On the options, surprised no one mentioned the Advanced Parking Assist package. After having parking sensors on my last two vehicles, I feel like it's a must have. For whatever reason, I thought parking sensors were standard- glad we double checked that today at the dealership. Surround view and the hands free access, while I don't feel are necessary, I'm sure will be useful given it's part of the package. I think we're close to finalizing our build.
I got the parking assist as well as drivers assist. Love them both. Get the Burmester and LEDs.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:42 AM

Porsche Macan Turbo
I'm trying the get both the Burm and LEDs added, but the wife isn't convinced she needs them and wants to save the ~$2500. We listened to the standard stereo today and it wasn't bad at all. We'll see, but below is where we are:

- night package (requires sport pkg)
- pano roof
- premium package
- multimedia package
- advanced parking assist package

I'm at $50,325 msrp, 25% increase over base with options. $2500 isn't really going to impact us financially, but if the wifey doesn't care, I'm not sure it's really worth the "fight?"
Old 02-28-2016, 06:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux
Make sure you have the lighting package.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Talking

I'm trying the get both the Burm and LEDs added, but the wife isn't convinced she needs them and wants to save the ~$2500. We listened to the standard stereo today and it wasn't bad at all. We'll see, but below is where we are:

- pano roof
- premium package
- multimedia package

I'm at $50,325 msrp, 25% increase over base with options. $2500 isn't really going to impact us financially, but if the wifey doesn't care, I'm not sure it's really worth the "fight?"
Another way to configure car is to get burmester, LeDs, and 19 inch wheels and skip the night pack. The car is quite pretty without it. I got lucky my wife wanted all the toys.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 GLC300
I would choose the lighting pack over the night pack. If you really like the sports look, then change your night to sports pack and add the lighting pack. The car just looks sexier with the LED lighting pack.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 GLC 300 4, 2014 Nissan Leaf

- pano roof
- premium package
- multimedia package

If the extra options aren't going to impact you financially, you should get them. You only live once and I guarantee (from personal experiences), once you can no longer change the order, you'll regret not having it the way you want it.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:14 PM

Porsche Macan Turbo
Thanks guys. The wife says she'd rather spend $2350 on a new handbag vs the additional options. She knows my preference, but both are bad investments. Lol.

In any case, while writing this post, I also I just emailed my SA to add the Lighing package. I'll tell her later and blame everyone on this thread. These car forums, while free, really do end up costing. Plus, she really can't get a handbag she wants for for $1500.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts and contributions! Now the waiting game... End of April is what he's telling me, which isn't too bad.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:33 PM

2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
Thanks guys. The wife says she'd rather spend $2350 on a new handbag.
$2350? You're getting off cheap!
Old 02-28-2016, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow!!!! Nice bag. Your wife has the same taste as mine