GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Headlight Replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 10:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 300
Headlight Replacement?

When i ordered my GLC the salesman told me that the vehicle came standard with bi-xenon lights and i didn't doubt him because i knew that Audi Q5 and the x3 came standard with bi-xenon lights so i expected Mercedes to have them as well. i chose not to go with the LED package because a) its $1700 and b) i find the difference between bi-xenon and LED negligible (not worth the extra $1700) However, just last week a solid 3 months after i placed my order i heard that the GLC comes standard with HALOGENS! i never expected that a car in this market segment would still have halogen lights. so my car is now en-rout being shipped over to Canada so its too late to add any new packages so my question is would it be possible to convert the lights to LED or Xenon aftermarket? or even just replace the standard bulbs with white halogens?
Old 03-06-2016, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
It is not possible to convert factory halogen to factory LED after car is built. Different wiring harness
Old 03-06-2016, 01:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 GLC 300 4, 2014 Nissan Leaf
Originally Posted by Jason Zhang
When i ordered my GLC the salesman told me that the vehicle came standard with bi-xenon lights and i didn't doubt him because i knew that Audi Q5 and the x3 came standard with bi-xenon lights so i expected Mercedes to have them as well. i chose not to go with the LED package because a) its $1700 and b) i find the difference between bi-xenon and LED negligible (not worth the extra $1700) However, just last week a solid 3 months after i placed my order i heard that the GLC comes standard with HALOGENS! i never expected that a car in this market segment would still have halogen lights. so my car is now en-rout being shipped over to Canada so its too late to add any new packages so my question is would it be possible to convert the lights to LED or Xenon aftermarket? or even just replace the standard bulbs with white halogens?
Sorry to hear about this. I know this can be quite frustrating. If your salesman gave you incorrect information, you should be able to go to the manager and get some sort of compensation - but dieselsoc is right, can't change them up now. Everyone who's considering the LED lighting package should realize that it's not just about the bulbs. The LED lighting package has curve illumination, a big plus. I'm not sure what market you're in, but in some markets, the GLC is really hot and I'm guessing your dealer could easily sell your car when it arrives. Unfortunately that means another wait but at least you'll get what you want.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 BMW 335i Msport, 2012 Mustang GT
The way I see it, if the dealer gave you incorrect information, it's on them. I'd ask them to use their next open allocation spot to have a car built to your specs. They can accept the original car that was ordered for you and sell it, or they can offer it to any dealer in the country that would want it. Using an open allocation should put delivery hopefully only two or three weeks behind the current vehicle. It would be worth the longer wait for me.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:57 PM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by mdsbuc
The way I see it, if the dealer gave you incorrect information, it's on them. I'd ask them to use their next open allocation spot to have a car built to your specs. They can accept the original car that was ordered for you and sell it, or they can offer it to any dealer in the country that would want it. Using an open allocation should put delivery hopefully only two or three weeks behind the current vehicle. It would be worth the longer wait for me.
but how would i prove that he told me incorrect information as it was word of mouth 3 months ago?
Old 03-06-2016, 03:07 PM

but how would i prove that he told me incorrect information as it was word of mouth 3 months ago?
I don't think "proof" is necessary. If they are interested in keeping a happy and loyal customer through the years, it will be in their best interest.

I had a similar situation about ten years ago, except that it was totally on me, not the dealer. It was my first car purchase from them and I had ordered the wrong seats. They quickly ordered the car the way I wanted it, and the car I originally had ordered was scarfed up by another dealer, where I don't know. Now I've just ordered my third car from the same dealer.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:18 PM

GLC 300
Originally Posted by mdsbuc
I don't think "proof" is necessary. If they are interested in keeping a happy and loyal customer through the years, it will be in their best interest.

I had a similar situation about ten years ago, except that it was totally on me, not the dealer. It was my first car purchase from them and I had ordered the wrong seats. They quickly ordered the car the way I wanted it, and the car I originally had ordered was scarfed up by another dealer, where I don't know. Now I've just ordered my third car from the same dealer.
That's good to hear as this is my first vehicle i bought alone i do not have much experience dealing with dealers i'll head back to the dealer and see how soon they can get another car shipped over with the specifications i want. My only concern is i'm limited by time. i need to have the vehicle by June and the Demand for GLC's here is crazy high.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:20 PM

That's good to hear as this is my first vehicle i bought alone i do not have much experience dealing with dealers i'll head back to the dealer and see how soon they can get another car shipped over with the specifications i want. My only concern is i'm limited by time. i need to have the vehicle by June and the Demand for GLC's here is crazy high.
Good luck!
Old 03-06-2016, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Most dealers really want to make a sale. As everyone has said, they will have no problem selling your car when it gets here. I am sure your dealer will work with you to get you the car you want. There are a lot of aftermarket bulbs and kits on the market to replace halogen bulbs but they are not very good and are not really designed to work well in the halogen reflectors. You will be much happier with the real thing.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
Until you drive the car off the lot you can back out of the sale.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:09 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
'16 GLC300
Like everyone said, get them to order the car you want.

It's not worth it to modify your brand new car with some low end plug and play kit.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
I'll be devils advocate here as I have the full LED lights in my 2016 C300 Sport and we didn't get the LED's in our GLC300. Yes, the LED's are a brighter white. But the standard Halogen's in the GLC are much better than I thought they would be. It might be worth the $1700 to you, but I'm not sure the return is worth it in real use experience.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC300 4matic
We have the halogens on our GLC. It is bright enough but I dislike the "cheap" look and yellow lights. I mentioned elsewhere, even Kia and Corollas have LED headlamps, why can't MB make it standard in a luxury car or at least have HID as standard?

If I had to buy again, I would go with LEDs for the active function. which really helps during cornering. We could not wait for a custom built at that time, so went with what was available at the dealer.

It also looks nicer with the LED "eye brows" but this is subjective. If you frequently drive at night on unlit roads, the active curve of the headlamps really helps.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by GLCer
We have the halogens on our GLC. It is bright enough but I dislike the "cheap" look and yellow lights. I mentioned elsewhere, even Kia and Corollas have LED headlamps, why can't MB make it standard in a luxury car or at least have HID as standard?

If I had to buy again, I would go with LEDs for the active function. which really helps during cornering. We could not wait for a custom built at that time, so went with what was available at the dealer.

It also looks nicer with the LED "eye brows" but this is subjective. If you frequently drive at night on unlit roads, the active curve of the headlamps really helps.
I also like having the high beam assist feature, based on experience with the comparable feature in my current car.

I will say, after seeing my first GLC on the road last night, in the dark, the taillamps on the vehicle with the base lighting look quite beautiful. The car was gorgeous.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:24 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
I opted out of the LED headlights with auto dimming mainly because the auto dimming feature on my 2013 C300 with xenons failed to return to high beams many times when there was no reason not to and when high beams were needed. So, paying a hefty sum only to override a substandard feature left a bad taste for me. On the other hand, my 04 C-wagon had great xenons -- much better lighting and dimming than that of the 13 C300. I think the GLC's halogens are fine. I wouldn't lose any sleep over not having LEDs. Does the lighting package include headlight washers? Just curious.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not applicable
Same here, no LED package. But actually when I regret and want to add it, it's too late to change my order status.

I don't really need that so no frustration without getting it. However, I do prefer light color like LED, not sort of yellow color on Halogen. I have a close friend who is doing aftermarket car bulb business for many years. He would help me to change Halogen bulb when I get my GLC. He said it's possible.

We will see.....
Old 03-09-2016, 07:44 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
Originally Posted by guido3
Does the lighting package include headlight washers? Just curious.
I hope not...that just makes a mess
Old 03-09-2016, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JEVA
I hope not...that just makes a mess
No washers!
Old 03-09-2016, 09:25 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
I was unhappy with the cost of the led option. One the other hand, I was unwilling to purchase a 2016 vehicle with 20 year old headlight technology. Further, the huge improvement of LEDs over halogen was too great to ignore.

Now that I'm in possession of the vehicle am extremely pleased with the LEDs and don't regret spending the 1500 bucks to get them.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am extremely pleased with the LEDs. Expensive, but well worth it.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:40 PM

GLC300 4matic
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
I am extremely pleased with the LEDs. Expensive, but well worth it.
I don't think they are expensive at all at $1500 or thereabouts. Aftermarket HIDs or LEDs without active controls will run you anywhere from $200-$400 for a basic DIY install kit and double that if you add labor. Furthermore you are not guaranteed higher illumination or reliability with aftermarket HID/LED.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:12 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
I believe the GLC has Osram H7 halogen bulbs as used by Mercedes for other models. It is one of the whitest, brightest halogen bulbs on the market today, not quite xenon whiteness, of course, but certainly not the "yellow" halogen of yesteryear. IMHO I wouldn't attempt changing to another halogen bulb as I trust that Mercedes has certainly examined all aspects regarding the best halogen bulb and reflector design for the GLC.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
FS H7 HIGH OUTPUT BULBS

Have FS New Never used High Output H7 65w OSRAM RALLEY bulbs. 50% more lumens. REALLY makes a difference. Plug & Play.
Interested? pm me or golfcat@triad.rr.com
Old 03-27-2016, 05:46 PM

Lexus ES350
I'm with you OP - go fight it at the dealer and like everyone said, get them to order what you want.

I think it's stupid that a car in this price range as a $1700 option for LED lights. Like someone else said, even Honda and Kia have LED lights that will actually even last longer than MB since the Germans still haven't figured out electronics.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:52 PM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2016 GLC 300
LED's Awesome. Don't regret it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Headlight Replacement?