GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Noisy Windscreen Wipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 05:10 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
E300, C63
Originally Posted by Roni07
That's the. Biggest load of horse crap I've heard. I'm driving a brand new 2017 GLC300 loaner with 47 miles. I can see the wipers studders already.
How is it that the weather affects MB cars more than any others ? Clean the windshield with MB approved solution?! Total BS. I have driven 10 different cars in the last 2 years and Never experienced this problem. Never cleaned the windshield either. I don't think the rain falls differently. No excuses MB needs to fix it.
so two cars from the same dealership having the same problem, and it's horsecrap? Sounds like their detailers are putting something on the glass, or not cleaning them properly on arrival. Perhaps they sit outside on the lot and their touch-up guy paints in their vicinity.

Also I'm not sure how the amount of cars you have driven is in any way relevant to the concern you're having. If you don't want it resolved, keep assuming it's the assembly. If you do, maybe take some advice from somebody who fixes this exact issue on a daily basis. Up to you.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
20 GLE on order, 17 GLC 300 4M, Ducati 1299R
Originally Posted by ec_nova
Also, if you have tried polishing using anything other than the mb cleaning kit and as directed, the windshield may be damaged irreversibly in which case the problem will never be rectified unless you replace the glass.
Question, what is special about the MB cleaning kit for a windshield?
Old 10-07-2016, 07:27 PM

E300, C63
Originally Posted by edofloat
Question, what is special about the MB cleaning kit for a windshield?
it's a 2 part cleaning kit that is designed specifically for Benz windshields. To my knowledge, it is not available over the counter. It is used for certain bulletins/customer concerns to ensure the glass is perfectly clean. Some brands' glass does well with wax, rainx, polishing, etc. (my tacoma for example always has a coat of wax on the windshield with no adverse effects) However Benz windshields don't fare well with anything on them.

My theory is that it has to do with the style of blade and the pivot point, as some of the chassis' are more prone to this condition than others. But I'm not sure. All that I do know is every time a customer brings their vehicle in with this concern, swearing it's something other than the windshield needing cleaned and/or arms adjusted... that is exactly what fixes their concern. Unless, of course, they've tried their own irreversible remedies and pitted/scratched the glass
Old 10-07-2016, 07:38 PM

it's a 2 part cleaning kit that is designed specifically for Benz windshields. To my knowledge, it is not available over the counter. It is used for certain bulletins/customer concerns to ensure the glass is perfectly clean. Some brands' glass does well with wax, rainx, polishing, etc. (my tacoma for example always has a coat of wax on the windshield with no adverse effects) However Benz windshields don't fare well with anything on them.

My theory is that it has to do with the style of blade and the pivot point, as some of the chassis' are more prone to this condition than others. But I'm not sure. All that I do know is every time a customer brings their vehicle in with this concern, swearing it's something other than the windshield needing cleaned and/or arms adjusted... that is exactly what fixes their concern. Unless, of course, they've tried their own irreversible remedies and pitted/scratched the glass
Guess it will become a problem when the windshield becomes pitted through the normal course of driving which won't take long...maybe 30k miles.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:14 PM

E300, C63
Originally Posted by edofloat
Guess it will become a problem when the windshield becomes pitted through the normal course of driving which won't take long...maybe 30k miles.
I've seen some with many thousands of miles on them with no issues. I'm assuming it's because the way sand/dirt pits the glass is different than chemical/polish pitting? But it's definitely only a theory. Even hard water spots/mineral deposits from sprinklers/washing can cause issue.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:35 AM

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
This is. Not user fault. It's MB fault. Stop trying to blame yourselves for not cleaning the windshield properly. The rain doesn't discriminates against German made windshield wipers.

It's 100% not t motors. It is from the wipers dragging and skipping. The windshield needs to be cleaned properly, which is a very specific process. If it is not followed precisely, it will not be effective at all

I've seen some with many thousands of miles on them with no issues. I'm assuming it's because the way sand/dirt pits the glass is different than chemical/polish pitting? But it's definitely only a theory. Even hard water spots/mineral deposits from sprinklers/washing can cause issue.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Roni07
This is. Not user fault. It's MB fault. Stop trying to blame yourselves for not cleaning the windshield properly. The rain doesn't discriminates against German made windshield wipers.
Agreed. Having worked in a dealership in the past (not MB) for ten years I experienced all kinds of weird things along the way but never any issues similar to this issue.

Not sure how many manufacturers are out there making front windshields but it seems crazy that water spots and other minor things can make the wipers skip.

This thread makes me think that wipers skipping is a universal issue on GLC and it probably is not. Perhaps a poll to measure the percentage of owners that have the skipping issue is in order.

Last edited by edofloat; 10-09-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
I have had my GLC since February. No issues with wipers.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:57 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Have had my GLC since Feb. 16 having accumulated about 9,000 miles.

It's disappointing to read the numerous posts concerning subpar operation of the windscreen wipers.

As one should expect from a Benz the wiper function on my vehicle have been flawless.

Don't know how important this is but I've been using M-B windscreen washer fluid. One unusual aspect of the fluid is that as its sprayed on the glass it assumes a soapy appearance.

Last edited by larrypmyers; 10-09-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:59 AM

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
For those of you who are experiencing the issue, it sounds a lot like the GLE350 door frames creaking. MB dealer is applying ''lotion'' on the door seals to remedy the situation. On a new car?! Really?! I've never experienced that with any other SUVs or cars for that matter. I'm sure Honda and Toyota are laughing all the way.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 MB GLC
Unhappy Same problem here in Michigan!

Hi,
I got my 2017 GLC brand new almost 2 months ago
and same noisy sticky wiper blades problems

I went to MB dealer 4 times!

First time: They did noting!
Second Time: they changed wiper blades and polish windshield ! (still same problem)
Third time: they did nothing!
Last time: polish the windshield (still same problem)

They told me they are going to order wiper blades motors to see changing these will help or not!

Any idea? anyone who had this problem and could finally fixed it?

Thanks inadvance.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:12 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 350D GLC 250D, Previous vehicles W204, W164, W163, W210 & W202
The jittery wipers issue has recently started on my vehicle especially on the return stroke.

It seems to get worse when the windscreen has been thoroughly cleaned.

I recently tried Rain-X and that made the judder much worse.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:57 AM

2017 MB GLC
Originally Posted by Penn
The jittery wipers issue has recently started on my vehicle especially on the return stroke.

It seems to get worse when the windscreen has been thoroughly cleaned.

I recently tried Rain-X and that made the judder much worse.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 GLE 43 SUV
Jittery wipers are not unique to the GLC,

When I owned a U.S.-manufactured ML350 five years ago, that forum was full of similar complaints. Everybody tried the same solutions--new blades, polished glass--but I don't recall anything working.

I myself spritzed the windscreen with washer fluid from time to time which seemed to lubricate the wiper blades, but only temporarily.
The following users liked this post:
hjebb (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 10:29 AM

2017 MB GLC
Originally Posted by Shrdlu
Jittery wipers are not unique to the GLC,

When I owned a U.S.-manufactured ML350 five years ago, that forum was full of similar complaints. Everybody tried the same solutions--new blades, polished glass--but I don't recall anything working.

I myself spritzed the windscreen with washer fluid from time to time which seemed to lubricate the wiper blades, but only temporarily.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:46 PM

2017 MB GLC
Any updates?

Any updates? still I have same problem with my wiper blades (
I tried to changed the wiper blades and use another brand to see if it changes anything, couldn't find any that fit 2017 MB GLC, any idea?
Old 10-27-2016, 03:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
I purchased my 2016 GLC 300 late December 2015. We live in the western US. My wife drives it primarily and she noticed the juddering on the left driver side wiper pretty soon thereafter, particularly when it hits the end of its path. We took it back once, where they apparently did nothing? (according to their own records the second time we returned).

I tried replacing the wipers but apparently there are NO generic wipers out there that are compatible, though many online compatibility computers say they are. In removing the wipers though, I found that the sliding clip that locks the wiper in place was cracked. I thought that might be it, as that would allow for more lateral flexion in the wiper as it wiped across the windshield.

The dealer this time replaced that piece, maybe the wiper blades themselves, and other parts? It was not very clear what they did. My wife claims it is still there but better. I recently took it on a very rainy weekend and did not experience any dramatic juddering. Perhaps it does have to do with the amount of water to lubricate the windshield.

Last edited by waylo; 10-27-2016 at 03:57 PM.
hjebb (10-27-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 04:16 PM

2017 MB GLC
Cool

Originally Posted by waylo
I purchased my 2016 GLC 300 late December 2015. We live in the western US. My wife drives it primarily and she noticed the juddering on the left driver side wiper pretty soon thereafter, particularly when it hits the end of its path. We took it back once, where they apparently did nothing? (according to their own records the second time we returned).

I tried replacing the wipers but apparently there are NO generic wipers out there that are compatible, though many online compatibility computers say they are. In removing the wipers though, I found that the sliding clip that locks the wiper in place was cracked. I thought that might be it, as that would allow for more lateral flexion in the wiper as it wiped across the windshield.

The dealer this time replaced that piece, maybe the wiper blades themselves, and other parts? It was not very clear what they did. My wife claims it is still there but better. I recently took it on a very rainy weekend and did not experience any dramatic juddering. Perhaps it does have to do with the amount of water to lubricate the windshield.

Thank you for sharing this.
Dealer changed the wiper blades once and polished the window 2 times. But still I have the same problem,I think it's even worst now! I asked them to change the wiper motor this time. I was told they are going to order the wiper motors! at the mean time I am trying to clean/ polish the windshield one more time myself to see if there might be any wax remaining that causes this problem. This problem is so annoying and the next step I am going to ask them to change the screen! I would suggest you report your problem to Mercedes-Benz of USA, I believe they should solve this ASAP!
Just for your information their number is: 1 (800) 367-6372
Old 10-29-2016, 06:36 PM

Lexus RX350
Related to wiper issue, the first time i washed my new GLC300 4Matic, I noticed when I lifted the drivers side wiper that the wiper would make contact with the edge of hood scraping the paint.

I have a loaner GLC300 and it does the same thing.

Anyone else noticed this.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:04 PM

E300, C63
Originally Posted by mb4mb
Related to wiper issue, the first time i washed my new GLC300 4Matic, I noticed when I lifted the drivers side wiper that the wiper would make contact with the edge of hood scraping the paint.

this has absolutely nothing to do with the wiper issue in this thread. Why would you lift your wiper arms into your hood? There is a service position for the wipers. Regardless, you should never(on any vehicle) lift the wipers up and leave them up. Even with the blades on the arms, a fall from that height has a very good chance of breaking the windshield. If you're trying to clean or dry under a blade, lift with one hand and clean with the other.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:05 PM

2017 MB GLC
Originally Posted by mb4mb

Hi,
You should turn on your wiper blades and stop them in the upward position. Then you can easily remove/clean them without causing any scratch in your hood. Btw, would you please share what was wrong with your glc? (Since you got a loaner I am aaking)
Old 10-29-2016, 07:40 PM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
It would be interesting to hear where these GLC's with the wiper problem are built. Wiki says Bremen and Finland. If that's the case, then transport to the US would be by ocean car carrier. Rhetorical questions. Does MB put that white plastic on the windows that you sometimes see on cars being transported from the port to the dealers? Does MB prep the cars at the port of entry before going to the dealers? Anyway, at the risk of being booed off the face of the earth, this worked for me after seeing it on Motor Week 20+ years ago. I used it more than once. I would get build up on the windshield because I left my car at the airport for extended periods of time, and used a car wash that sprayed "wax" on the whole car. After awhile, the wipers would be jumping all over the place. The current can of Bon Ami says not for use on glass. As someone else here said, use diatomaceous earth. Maybe that's what's in Bon Ami. I would wet the windshield, sprinkle a little on the wet part, and then use a small terrycloth towel to wipe it around using a circular motion. Got it to a consistency of toothpaste. If MB is inadventently leaving a glue behind from that plastic, it could be the common thread. BTW, I still have the original can I bought from the Chevy dealer.
Noisy Windscreen Wipers-bonami001_zps1f97dee1.jpg
Noisy Windscreen Wipers-bonami002_zps3fcd5d99.jpg
Noisy Windscreen Wipers-bonami004_zpsb5451c8c.jpg
clarst (10-29-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 08:13 PM

2017 MB GLC
Originally Posted by pjw1967
It would be interesting to hear where these GLC's with the wiper problem are built. Wiki says Bremen and Finland. If that's the case, then transport to the US would be by ocean car carrier. Rhetorical questions. Does MB put that white plastic on the windows that you sometimes see on cars being transported from the port to the dealers? Does MB prep the cars at the port of entry before going to the dealers? Anyway, at the risk of being
booed off the face of the earth, this worked for me after seeing it on Motor Week 20+ years ago. I used it more than once. I would get build up on the windshield because I left my car at the airport for extended periods of time, and used a car wash that sprayed "wax" on the whole car. After awhile, the wipers would be jumping all over the place. The current can of Bon Ami says not for use on glass. As someone else here said, use diatomaceous earth. Maybe that's what's in Bon Ami. I would wet the windshield, sprinkle a little on the wet part, and then use a small terrycloth towel to wipe it around using a circular motion. Got it to a consistency of toothpaste. If MB is inadventently leaving a glue behind from that plastic, it could be the common thread. BTW, I still have the original can I bought from the Chevy dealer.

Thank you for sharing this and thanks for the picture.
I start thinking its probably not a problem that can be solved by cleaning.
That might be a motor wiper problem or screen problem
Old 10-29-2016, 08:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 GLE 43 SUV
"I still have the original can I bought from the Chevy dealer."

Does it work on your ML350?
Old 10-29-2016, 09:08 PM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Originally Posted by Shrdlu
"I still have the original can I bought from the Chevy dealer."

Does it work on your ML350?
Don't have the problem. ML was built in Alabama. According to Carfax, the windshield was replaced in July 2014 at 4600 miles. No reason given but this is TX so windshields get replaced as fast as I eat potato chips. Carfax also says wipers were replaced at 20,000 miles Oct 2015. They were replaced again as part of the CPO process at 30,000 miles. When we drove the car home from the dealer it was pissing down rain for 3 hours so we played with the multiple settings of the rain sensors. No juddering, etc.

The first car I used it on was a 92 Camry. I bought it from Avis. As you know, rentals get washed but only air or sun dried. The build up of scale was on all the windows. None of the products like Limeaway worked. So when I saw Pat Goss use it on Motor Week, I hotfooted it down to the local Chevy dealer. The parts guy said "what?" when I asked for it. He went in the back and a little while later came out with it in his hand, shaking his head. The other cars that I used it on were my 2000 Dodge Durango and 2006 Infiniti M. Both cars bought new. I did the Durango at least twice. Got a step stool, the garden hose and went at it. I did not get "aggressive" with the rubbing as you're never really sure about things like this. But the water sheeted off the windshield just like the can said it would. Added bonus was that the wipers got quiet! I am suggesting this as a solution of last resort. I am as fussy a car owner that ever lived. Crappy-performing wipers would put me over the edge.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Noisy Windscreen Wipers