GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

I just bought a GLC300 and there is no Jack in the trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2024, 07:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by larrypmyers
If your vehicle is delivered with runflat tires it will not have a jack, lugwrench, inflator kit, spare tire or anything else to change a tire. Why? Because with runflats you will probably never be in a situation where you will need to change a tire.

Should you get a TPMS warning, stop, inspect the tire and surrounding wheel well to ensure there is nothing more serious going on. If the tire is deflated but otherwise intact, at reduced speed continue on to the nearest MB dealer or tire shop. The beauty of runflats. You don't end up on the muddy shoulder of a deserted road in the middle of the night.

Not to worry about damaging the expensive alloy wheel as the stiff tire sidewall will not allow the wheel to come into contact with the pavement. As a matter of fact, when looking at a car with runflats and one of the tires is at zero pressure you will not be able to tell which tire it is because it will look normal. I recently saw a photo of a runflat with a hole in the sidewall large enough to stick your fist through. Even with such massive damage the driver was able to drive to the tire shop.

If a tire has had the inflator kit used some tire shops will refuse to attempt repair. The reason being the material left by the kit must be thoroughly cleaned, a tedious and time consuming task I'm told.

There have been several posts disparaging runflat tires. These comments would have been true 15 or 20 years ago. However, todays modern tires such as on our GLC, possess none of the undesirable characteristics of early runflats. Treadwear life, ride quality, durability and cost rival any non runflat. And the best part, I don't need a damm jack and lugwrench.

My thought is, runflats are the best thing since canned beer!!
The only problem with runflats, is if you are either over 50 miles from your destination, or you get a flat in the middle of the night, or on a weekend, you are stuck. This happened to me, and after spending the night at a motel, I replaced the runflats with Michelin Defender II's, purchased a mini spare, and jack, etc. I could not now be happier. I have a smoother ride, better treadwear, and confidence knowing that I won't get stuck more than 50 miles from home.