GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

How good is your internet connection?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
like a maniac
Originally Posted by edofloat
So I get .94 Mbps download and 7.47 Mbps upload while parked. Internet radio just locks up and doesn't function. Did notice when I use the internet on the Command system and go to the Google site (mobile) it says www.google.de so MB is routing data through Germany in the command. But my iPhone says it uses some site in Kansas when I checked the bandwidth. The requirement to subscribe to mbrace Secure for $199 a year then pay another $18 a month for entertainment (that is not present) and WiFi is a complete waste. The take rate must be abysmal at best.
That upload rate is actually pretty good if we're talking 3G, lol. I'm kind of surprised with the download rate though. That seems abnormally low given how download rates usually tower over the upload rates. I'd have to question whether it's being throttled either intentionally or unintentionally or if there's something wrong with the software or hardware.

I can understand why they'd want a high upload rate given what the connection is used for but less than 2 Mbps for downloads is probably one of the contributing factors to why the Internet radio just freezes. That is really low even for 3G, generally speaking. Then again we don't have anything to compare it to as far as what other owners are seeing so far.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
20 GLE on order, 17 GLC 300 4M, Ducati 1299R
So I get a call today from mbrace Activations wanting to know if I would like to sign up for my free mbrace concierge and mbrace entertain trials. I kindly told them no explaining I didn't want a trail (with or without my credit card on file) for something that is a terrible execution in product delivery/user experience. I sensed that they have heard this before from customers. :
My remote start feature was working, the operative word being "was," can't imagine the subscription rate in the US is even up to pathetic for mbrace.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:49 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLE 450
this is disappointing as I am considering the glc vs the new q5. as a current audi S3 owner I can use the car's sim on my att account and it works great and is always lte. I know that most dont care about the tech in a vehicle but I do and I cant stand verizon to boot. very disappointing. I have never heard anything positive about the embrace experience.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S 550 (2016)
The Mbrace service in Los Angeles is spotty at best. 2016 S550. Lots of excuses are given by Mbrace and MB, but after three months of researching, talking with Mbrace Tech and have the Dealer update software and communicate directly with them, I have concluded that MB should not be in this business at all. They really are not up to it. I have no issue with the MB dealer. But MB should not be claiming the system works when it does not. It should be on a defect list. Not being touted as a connected vehicle. Even worse, the financial portfolio tracker, as bad as it was, is being withdrawn. They are going from bad to worse. What were they thinking. Frustrating as a new car experience.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:16 PM

+1

mbrace contacted me again asking me to sign up for my free trials, I kindly declined. Again.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC300
Verizon announced their plans to phase out 3G by the end of the decade. In Pittsburgh we have already seen the effects with increasingly spotty connectivity and disconnects which make MB internet apps, specifically iHeart Radio, unusable.

Given no MB upgrade path to 4G for the built-in data network I wonder if there might be a way for USA users to follow the network connection approach used in Canada. As outlined on page 121 of the Command Supplement internet connectivity is provided the a Bluetooth connected phone rather than the built-in soon to be obsolete 3g.

Any insights out there?
Old 12-21-2016, 03:59 PM

GLC 300
Same here

Originally Posted by doctor4kydz
Still having problems connecting consistently with the MB apps. Seems to work about 50% of the time. mbrace technical support elevated my issue to Engineering who determined that everything was OK on their end and that my car was receiving signals OK. Took to dealership who could not determine why I'm having a problem. Am I the only one with this issue? Is anyone else having a problem connecting with the MB apps? For the recod, I'm in suburban Philadelphia, and cell phone reception is always decent.

I'm in Boston and speed is terrible
Old 12-21-2016, 08:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
like a maniac
Has anyone asked for a coverage map or a link to a coverage map for the network mbrace uses? Obviously any coverage map, just like with any wireless carrier, is only an estimate and not meant to be assumed as 100% accurate all the time. However, having a map like that provided by the wireless carrier would help single out certain issues.

Coverage, like anything, is always subject to factors that negatively affect a wireless network connection. Calling mbrace as Joe Smoe #698 reporting a network issue isn't going to get down to the root of the issue either unless you're lucky and find someone who just happens to know what they're really talking about. FYI, the chances of getting someone who really wants to help you drops significantly if you're a jerk or argumentative, just saying.

If Verizon is dropping 3G in a market, I'd love to know what their 4G looks like right now in that same market area. 3G is the fallback when 4G isn't readily and widely available. If they have 5G that prominently in an area, I suppose shutting the outdated 3G network in that same area would make financial sense. Screwing everyone over who have better 3G reception than 4G is your typical corporate logic either way anyway.

If some of you could post the speeds you're receiving in Mbps both for downloads and uploads or ask what mbrace support expects to see as an average for either (obviously every single area/city is different), the words "terrible" and "slow" will have more context behind them.

For everyone else who's wondering if this will be fixed:

Watch from the start to 2:47. You'll have a better idea of what the actual issue is if you know how long this issue has been around.

Long story short, unless mbrace moves to 5G let alone 4G, all of you should only be using the remote unlock, lock, and start feature from mbrace. Anything else and I have to ask why you're 1.) a masochist or 2.) not spending that money on a connected smartphone/tablet from a wireless carrier.

Last edited by Witch; 12-21-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:43 PM

Got a J.D. Power survey in the mail today with a nice crisp one dollar bill. I rated the vehicle very well but did flame the hell of Mercedes for the terrible Mbrace execution of that nearly useless product.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:32 PM

2016 C300 Sport
I just canceled my free trial of the in-car wifi. Both the built-it i-heart radio app and Spotify on my phone would not play without constant drop outs. The signal was fine but I guess the bandwidth is the issue.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
S550
I have a 2017 GLC 300 inbound. The spec sheet lists 4G Hermes LTE module for rhe command. I assumed I would be getting 4G connectivity, but perhaps not? Anyone know?
The following users liked this post:
NISHANA (02-09-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by TestnDoc
I have a 2017 GLC 300 inbound. The spec sheet lists 4G Hermes LTE module for rhe command. I assumed I would be getting 4G connectivity, but perhaps not? Anyone know?
It is 3G via Verizon.
NISHANA (02-09-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 08:54 AM

GLC300 4Matic, E350 Coupe
Angry internet connectivity unreliable

I am in Tulsa OK and the availability of MB internet connectivity is really bad, like 3 out 4 attempts fail. Has been this way since I purchased the GLC in April of last year. Reported issue to tech support before christmas and was told the system was having issues and had been for a week. really like paying for this customer love.
NISHANA (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 01:24 AM

Activa
Smile The best solution

Anybody facing the problem of poor internet connection around your locality?

No worries

Go for cell phone signal boosters that improves signal reception anywhere you locate it. It is an ideal solution for your internet problems.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by NISHANA
Anybody facing the problem of poor internet connection around your locality?

No worries

Go for cell phone signal boosters that improves signal reception anywhere you locate it. It is an ideal solution for your internet problems.
I think most customers have crappy internet connections via Mbrace.

If you have installed some sort of booster what did you install and how does it help. Seems signal is good for most people, and yes better signal helps with throughput but it doesn't fix poor execution of the system. Could you give us more information?

Noticed the 2017 GLC brochure has been posted here.

It says in the technology section:

Mercedes me with
smartphone app,
in-car Internet
and 4G LTE WiFi

My build sheet seemed to indicate there is an LTE module. We all know how well the Mbrace features work, not well.

Has anyone gotten any information regarding improved services? Can't imagine why they would hobble the hardware unless it is to save money with second or third tier 3G and **** off their customers as well. If that is the case, they seem to be succeeding.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:40 AM

GL450
not reliable

I have brand new GLS 450 and I'm on 3 months trails mbrace service. There is no internet some days, causing my Navigation (phone app) to fail. Very unreliable, if they are asking for $18/month, they have to be serious in providing service.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by solaris72
I have brand new GLS 450 and I'm on 3 months trails mbrace service. There is no internet some days, causing my Navigation (phone app) to fail. Very unreliable, if they are asking for $18/month, they have to be serious in providing service.
can i connect the vehicle to my phones wifi and get better speeds? going through the menu it seems that i can setup[ a wifi hotspot and use the mb data connection to surf from my phone which would be painfully slow
Old 08-25-2017, 09:39 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by solaris72
I had the same problem on my GLC 300. It was constantly dropping the connection and pausing to refill the buffer on both of the internet radio services, making them pretty much useless. But for whatever reason it's gotten better in the last couple of weeks, so much so that I am keeping the service after the 3 months trial and hoping that the improvement will continue.

One thing I have noticed is that the the system seems to have to pause and rebuffer more often on stations that stream at a higher bit rate. Of course, the higher the bit rate the better the sound, but the lower bit rate stations are less likely to have to pause and rebuffer, so the trade off is to sacrifice quality of sound for continuity of streaming.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:23 PM

glc300
2018 GLS 450 has issues

Drive from Texas to Fl recently revealed no IHeart service. Car taken to dealer. Faults discovered, but they claim signal is my problem. Tried to explain entertainment package includes IHeartRadio and hotspot for up to eight devices. Looking forward to the best or nothing at all. MB is a great company that would not want to sully their reputation.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:19 PM

S 550 (2016)
Mercedes Internet Apps Ugh.

Originally Posted by Jack Lambert
Drive from Texas to Fl recently revealed no IHeart service. Car taken to dealer. Faults discovered, but they claim signal is my problem. Tried to explain entertainment package includes IHeartRadio and hotspot for up to eight devices. Looking forward to the best or nothing at all. MB is a great company that would not want to sully their reputation.
None of the internet apps work here n Los Angeles. They really should not sell them with the S550, as it really does ruin their reputation. I was told the system works in Germany but is not reliable here. They decommissioned many of the apps. I have satellite radio, so there is plenty of entertainment, just no reliable app that run on the Mercedes system. Use your phone.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:31 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by Jack Lambert
Drive from Texas to Fl recently revealed no IHeart service.
I feel your pain. Gave up on the Mercedes apps long ago but out of curiosity tried iHeart again after seeing your post. Same result: zip. I have had much better luck with audio streaming and Bluetooth. Got a cheap 7" Android tablet with Dolby (~ $100) and use it exclusively for streaming radio and downloading music, podcasts, audio books, etc., in the car. More reliable and much better sound quality than M-B internet radio even on its best day.

I've complained before on this forum about the reliability of the hotspot but am now happy to report that it seems to have gotten better recently and even get pretty reliable live radio streaming much of the time. As for podcasts, music, etc., I still download those to listen later.
woppenhe (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 12:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
18 GLC300 4M
we’re considering a coast to coast trip now, so I just contacted Mbrace to price reactivating the concierge and entertainment services, which are still only possible if you also buy the Secure feature, which makes the package over $650 per year !
I cancelled it last year after my free trial because, here in the NYC area it rarely worked. I’m hoping the WiFi capabilities will work now.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:05 PM

S 550 (2016)
Yes, in my new s560, the hotspot works, though it really does not do anything I cannot do on my phone. They have removed most of the old apps, which obviously did not work. Weather, some local POI, and internet radio remain. What is missing is a mirror application for your phone, which most likely is not an ATT phone.
Android Auto works well, but again very limited available apps. It does allow me to access my itunes library via my phone. We need more google apps for android auto. The maps are already ok in the regular MB navigation system.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:52 AM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 EQB300
When I acquired my 2018 GLC in Oct '17 I activated the trial internet connectivity. The connection was sporadic, it dropped frequently and was very slow. Wanted it mainly for on-line foreign radio stations (can'ty take the kid with the shortwave radio out of me). Worthless, so I did not continue the paid subscription. We'll see how it is this Sept-Oct when my 2021 GLE comes in. Meanwhile, Mercedes Me has defintiely been sporadic. Even with very few trips, the SendToBenz has stopped working.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:15 PM

S 550 (2016)
Perhaps their internet systems are tuned to Europe and Germany in particular. They do not seem to be built for the US.
I am having trouble with their frustrating phone trees offering circular choices, and not really pursuing the choices that are offered.
One day it took over 30 minutes to get someone to answer, and then it was the wrong someone, who explained that when it gets busy the calls are routed to whomever is free to answer. Not helpful nor fitting for their customer base.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How good is your internet connection?