GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC Towbar options - Australia

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by Teckno
By the way, you loose the kick option to open and close the tailgate when a tow bar is fitted.
We found out later when we tried to use it. Happy with tow bar, may be difficult to fit bike rack due to narrow neck design and loss of surface area at base. Time will tell.
At least it stops idiots using touch parking. It also helps in reversing as the ball image can be used to centre the car when reversing in a curved driveway, using the concrete expansion line.
Cheers
Teckno, do you get a different graphic overlay on your reversing camera image when your tow ball is fitted? Mine doesnt change at all. I connected the tow ball to the receiver on the weekend, expecting to see the 'sight guidelines' for the tow ball appear on the reversing camera image, but nothing! Just the standard reversing guidelines appear..
Old 11-06-2018, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Hi, never saw reverse on my wagon until we collected it and tow bar fitted by dealer pre delivery.
After reading your earlier bit re picture, I checked out our Coupe that has no tow bar.
Picture diagram is same for both cars !
Reverse shows solid line that curves in direction of rear movement and hatched like train lines also appear to be same.
The red horizontal line on wagon is just before tow ball. Line looks to be about same distance on coupe.
When towing side mirror warnings are disabled.
System also alerts you if globe on trailer is broken or not working.
Surprisingly we still have foot opening of rear tailgate on wagon, not perfect, but works 90% time, have not seen where sensor is located or wiring , but book said it would not work, it does, strange. Not complaining, very happy it does.
The following users liked this post:
tiger_x (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 08:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by Teckno
Hi, never saw reverse on my wagon until we collected it and tow bar fitted by dealer pre delivery.
After reading your earlier bit re picture, I checked out our Coupe that has no tow bar.
Picture diagram is same for both cars !
Reverse shows solid line that curves in direction of rear movement and hatched like train lines also appear to be same.
The red horizontal line on wagon is just before tow ball. Line looks to be about same distance on coupe.
When towing side mirror warnings are disabled.
System also alerts you if globe on trailer is broken or not working.
Surprisingly we still have foot opening of rear tailgate on wagon, not perfect, but works 90% time, have not seen where sensor is located or wiring , but book said it would not work, it does, strange. Not complaining, very happy it does.
Im guessing then the rear camera sight lines only change if the factory electric tow ball is fitted. Its a bummer the electric tow ball is not ADR approved!

You're lucky you retained the foot opening feature. Mine doesnt work at all, though they did warn me i would lose this feature if i added the tow bar.. It would be a very handy feature to have retained. Im a bit bummed that its removed . Quite a few times now i could have used it..
Old 02-10-2019, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glc
GLC TOW BAR

Hi all, I have been installing the Euro Tow bar various makes , Westfalia, Brink, etc all work very well.

I have sourced and have fitted a 50mm x 50mm Hayman Reese style made in the US. 2450kg tow capacity same as the Euro.

This was requusted by the customer , I can now fit both styles depending on your requirements. We are a Brisbane based company , if you are not in this state I would be happy to supply the bar and send to a installer of your choice or recommend for you.

regards,

Tony Maddern

PREMIER TINT AND TOW BARS 07 3274 6088/ 0425 848 828
Old 02-10-2019, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glc
Hi Please call PREMIER TOW BARS , can get you a tow bar for the coupe.

07 3274 6088 or 0425 848 828
Old 10-16-2020, 09:27 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLC 300
Hi Tony, have you had any success with the MY20 models? My dealer tells me there are problems with the wiring harness for Australia?