GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

So, I looked at an F-Pace yesterday...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E Coupe
Originally Posted by dejongj
Have you guys/girls not seen this episode from Top Gear? Jaguar vs Porsche vs Mercedes

Chris vs Eddie vs Matt - New Top Gear Ep 2 Teaser - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube
Interesting, can I watch the full episode somewhere?
Old 09-29-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
I couldn't find it; in short the F-Pace was really good however it was the 3.0 diesel against the 250d of Mercedes. The Mercedes diesel was found to be very slow compared to the F-Pace and Porsche 3.0 diesel versions. Exactly what I found as well, didn't even want to go on a further test drive, personally I think it is underpowered and should have been supplied with the 350d block instead. Then Eddie Jordan (who drove the GLC) was a **** and didn't raise the off-road pack to off-road mode and thus ripped the GLC apart in true top gear fashion.

If I recall it correctly the F-Pace was the best all rounder, but in its 3.0 disguise not the 2.0d which is much more common.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:02 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 volkswagen beetle
Originally Posted by ddeliber
Interesting perspective, it sounds like you are saying that because the interior of the F-Pace isn't as nice as a car that is $30,000 - $60,000+ more expensive in the RR Sport then it is crap. The comparison here is with the GLC right?

IMO the GLC interior is nicer than the FPace no doubt, but not by that much, and the FPace exterior styling is hands down the best out there (but the GLC is nice too).

The drive of the FPace is more sporty but still smooth and luxurious (on the std 19" or 20" wheels) and the GLC is a nice but a bit bland (on std 18" wheels). For me, the Jag wins this by a lot, but that is a matter of my sporty preference.

At least here in the US price/value shouldn't really come in to play as they are very similar. In fact Jag should win easily because of the tiny $1500 premium to get the 3.0l six (what do you think the GLC 43AMG will cost). I built similar cars on the perspective web sites and they were very close. GLC 3004M with P2, Lighting and pano vs FP 2.0 premium, with cold weather, vision (lighting and blind spot, parking sensors etc) and Nav. The FP was $49.5k and the GLC (without parking sensors or rear seat heaters) was $50.1k. Similar difference if you went with the GLC sport and the FP prestige (you don't get leather interior with the GLC and you don't get stitched dash in the FP). Maintenance is $1.2k extra on the Merc for 4 instead of 5 yrs. Discounts will be better on the GLC - now you probably won't get much more than $1k off on an FPace.

To me the real consideration should be things like:
-Size, the FP is significantly bigger and more useful and yet still more sporty
-Brand - MB wins this for reliability history and number of dealers but Jag has been doing very well here recently and has 5yr warranty and free maintenance for 5 yrs. Both have a high luxury prestige.
-Sport vs lux and styling preference - totally subjective you gotta go look for yourself on this one.

Bottom line, you really should drive them both, preferably on the same day. Pictures don't do either of them justice, and you can only measure feel (road, to the touch, and emotional) and things like ergonomics from the drivers seat. Bring some golf clubs or boxes or whatever to see if the sizes are right for you.
I was just saying that the interior of the F-Pace/XE is simply not as nice as other cars on the market. I'm not the only one who has stated it. The GLC has a very opulent cabin (about as nice as a range rover), as does others in segment. But for this to be a Jaguar, who's known for interiors that are packed to the gills with wood and leather, it's quite disappointing to me.

like I said, it all depends what the person's priorities are. Whether they want to give up plushness to sportiness or sportiness to plushness.

I wouldn't worry much about brand reputation anymore. I'm sure Jaguar has stepped up their game since 1986.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:43 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by TSchuettinger
I was just saying that the interior of the F-Pace/XE is simply not as nice as other cars on the market. I'm not the only one who has stated it. The GLC has a very opulent cabin (about as nice as a range rover), as does others in segment. But for this to be a Jaguar, who's known for interiors that are packed to the gills with wood and leather, it's quite disappointing to me.

like I said, it all depends what the person's priorities are. Whether they want to give up plushness to sportiness or sportiness to plushness.

I wouldn't worry much about brand reputation anymore. I'm sure Jaguar has stepped up their game since 1986.

I think calling the GLC out to have an opulent cabin is a serious overstatement. It is nice, but not a patch on Range Rover for opulence. But also Mercedes are great and clever and nearly all cabins look the same however don't be fooled, whilst they look the same the materials look and feel very different. I had that with a neighbour with his GLE who was suprised to note such a difference with my GL(S). I noted that as well with the GLC. It is nice but I wouldn't call it opulent.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:03 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 volkswagen beetle
Originally Posted by dejongj
I think calling the GLC out to have an opulent cabin is a serious overstatement. It is nice, but not a patch on Range Rover for opulence. But also Mercedes are great and clever and nearly all cabins look the same however don't be fooled, whilst they look the same the materials look and feel very different. I had that with a neighbour with his GLE who was suprised to note such a difference with my GL(S). I noted that as well with the GLC. It is nice but I wouldn't call it opulent.
Exactly. YOU think. Just like, for the money, I think the inside of the F-Pace or XE is not all that nice. All opinions. None are right or wrong. Just opinions. Let's stay respectful and non-confrontational.

Last edited by TSchuettinger; 09-30-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:38 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by TSchuettinger
Exactly. YOU think. Just like, for the money, I think the inside of the F-Pace or XE is not all that nice. All opinions. None are right or wrong. Just opinions. Let's stay respectful and non-confrontational.
WTF????

It is not thinking, different materials are being used. A GLC interior is not in the same league as that of a Range Rover full stop. One may prefer one over the other but just because we drive or have these cars on order lets not get carried away and behave like fanboys. Even amongst the Mercedes range the is a difference notable. Again one may prefer but the fact is that they aren't the same. Nothing disrespectful about stating that and putting it into context oh delicate little flower