GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

PSA Make sure to turn off automatic wipers before carwash...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 02:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW
PSA Make sure to turn off automatic wipers before carwash...

If you take your car to a car wash and its not a touch less or hand wash place with your automatic wipers on,

The wipers will kick on in the tunnel, bind, tear off and put some nice scratches in your windshield.

Very stupid design, BMW has it best, a button not a switch and it only last for a driving session, defaults to OFF when the car is turned off.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
I guess one just has to get used to it. I have it in my Audi and had it in my MDX...just have to remember to turn it off.
I don't get how a button vs switch matters. And with a drive through wash, car is usually on for me.

I think a bigger issue may be the Start/stop along with tranny moving to Park
Old 06-26-2016, 12:17 PM

BMW
If its a button its state can be changed via software, like the start stop button, you turn it off but the next start its back ON.

With a mechanical switch the function is perm ON unless the user remembers to switch back off.

Drove the car 1500 miles across the country and needed a quick wash to get the bugs and stuff off, rained the day before and had them ON, forgot to switch off.

And like I said in a post above touchless/handwash places are okay, I just got really unluckly selecting brush wash at my destination (full service place). Didn't realize until it was too late.

Car comes out of the tunnel with the wipers missing and the arms running up and down the glass by themselfs.

See my attachment, all that red stuff hanging over the car, thats where they got torn off.

If it was a BMW it wouldn't be a issue the next morning the auto wipers would be automatically turned off.

Audi is even worse, its buried in the NAV system.
Attached Thumbnails PSA Make sure to turn off automatic wipers before carwash...-car-wash.jpeg  

Last edited by index1489; 06-26-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by index1489
If its a button its state can be changed via software, like the start stop button, you turn it off but the next start its back ON.

With a mechanical switch the function is perm ON unless the user remembers to switch back off.

Drove the car 1500 miles across the country and needed a quick wash to get the bugs and stuff off, rained the day before and had them ON, forgot to switch off..

If it was a BMW it wouldn't be a issue the next morning the auto wipers would be automatically turned off.

Audi is even worse, its buried in the NAV system.
I don't get your point. One can shut off the rain sensor whenever one wants.. leave it on OFF. How is that different that having to go into the settings to shut it off. One has to turn it off either way. So you leave it off on the stalk. If you're promoting a means to have it reset to OFF whenever one shuts the vehicle off, that kind of defeats the purpose of having rain sensors... at least part of it. I'm missing something.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:32 PM

BMW
The part your missing is that on the BMW side they don't default the rain sensor ON as this can cause problems if the wipers unexpectedly come on,

As soon as it begins to rain, you press the bottom on the tip of the stalk, for the rest of the driving session the wipers will automatically handle themselves, speed up down, turn off and on after it stops raining.

This is a much more safer design then Audi/MB which prioritize user convenience in their system.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:47 PM

I see the point. BMW shuts off the wiper every time one shuts off the car. Audi/Acura/MB leave the wiper in the last used position.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:10 PM

BMW
Yep exactly