GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

The Great US Factory Towbar (hitch) Debacle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Thumbs up The Great US Factory Towbar (hitch) Debacle

Here's my first post...hoping to hit a home run (I apologize for the long story)

I purchased a 2016 GLC300 4Matic from Mercedes-Benz of Chicago back in early may. It has almost everything I want on it....except the factory installed tow bar.

Now, I'm sure most of you know there aren't a lot of aftermarket options out there for a tow bar or roof rack...yet.
For those of us that are impatient and want a tow bar now...this is your ticket.

Now down to the good news. For those who didn't get a car with a factory installed reciever you can now obtain one yourself.
here is a quote from one of the emails:

"There is a kit available 253-310-14-00 for $730 but this does not include the wiring harness. I assume the harness would be another $400 roughly and would need to be determined with the VIN in the EPC. It is a little unclear because the product description is in German! The Vehicle will then require 5 hours for installation."

So there's your information...

Part Number: 253-310-14-00 (which is just the receiver and electrical harness for the exterior of the vehicle).

Now the only catch is that if you want a fully integrated install like the factory they will need to program the electrical system to work with the newly installed harness.

Being an internet savvy person I was able to find the same part number on MBwholesalepartsonline.com for $584 +52 dollars for shipping.

But there's more:

FOR A LIMITED TIME RECEIVE 10% OFF YOUR
ENTIRE FIRST ORDER WHEN YOU SPEND
$100 OR MORE.*
ENTER CODE: "10OFFFIRST"

UPDATED:

Spec: Class C
Capacity: 3500lbs
1.25" x 1.25"
Attaches to factory crash bar location

Last edited by 312GLC; 07-01-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:05 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 BMW X6 - Soon to be GLC300 4M
Note that if you have the "kick to open" option, adding a tow hitch will disable or otherwise nullify this function. It's the only reason I did not get a factory installed hitch.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2023 AMG sl43
Ran into the same problem at the dealership yesterday. Had the GLC we wanted all picked out but with no factory hitch. Sales man said I would have to go to U-Haul and have an aftermarket one installed. However, on further checking with his service dept he advised duplicating a "factory" hitch could cost as much as $3000. From the post above I can only assume most of that cost is 5 hours labor and electrical issues. Also the factory hitch has a different underside with more black plastic and less shiny stuff. I am now considering ordering a GLC with factory hitch without the Parktronic as that seems to be the only way you can get the hitch.

Has anyone had an aftermarket hitch installed?

FYI: just found out that you can get a GLE with factory hitch and Parktronic ... so I wonder what is the problem with getting that combo on a GLC?

Last edited by FirstBenz@62; 07-05-2016 at 09:45 AM. Reason: added new information