Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Corolla 2006
Extended Warranty for GLC 300

Folks,

Starting this thread to discuss warranty details:

(1) What is the coverage we get from the dealer with a new car ?
(2) What kind of extra coverage is worth paying for ?
(3) Should you buy the extended coverage at the time of picking up your new GLC or wait till you are about to run out of the default coverage ?
(4) What is a good price to pay for extended warranty and can you negotiate these ?

Please specify the region your suggestion is applicable.

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:36 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 volkswagen beetle
I'm in the US and the warranty covers non-wear items up to 4 years or 50k miles. If you're looking at an extended warranty, it's best to purchase it at delivery or sometime in the first 30 days of ownership. Warranties are cheaper within that period. Pricing all depends on the dealer, or model.

TBH, buying extended warranties is a bit of a gamble. You could pay in the thousands of dollars for repairs that may or may not ever be needed. If you must get an extended warranty, by all means get one but this is a question no one can really answer but yourself. When I get mine, it isn't ever seeing the dealer ever again once it's out of warranty and I will start using an indie garage. Nowadays, unless it's a Maserati, I wouldn't really worry about it.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:46 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
Originally Posted by TSchuettinger
I'm in the US and the warranty covers non-wear items up to 4 years or 50k miles. If you're looking at an extended warranty, it's best to purchase it at delivery or sometime in the first 30 days of ownership. Warranties are cheaper within that period. Pricing all depends on the dealer, or model.

TBH, buying extended warranties is a bit of a gamble. You could pay in the thousands of dollars for repairs that may or may not ever be needed. If you must get an extended warranty, by all means get one but this is a question no one can really answer but yourself. When I get mine, it isn't ever seeing the dealer ever again once it's out of warranty and I will start using an indie garage. Nowadays, unless it's a Maserati, I wouldn't really worry about it.
If I understand this correctly though, if one doesn't use it, one can get a refund of it. Some time value of money is the cost. Not too much of a cost from that perspective.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
If traded/sold before expiration of new car warranty (4yr/50K) entire warranty amount is refndable - processing takes about 6 weeks.

If selling to private party - extended warranty is transferable with nominal $35 fee.

If you go into the extendedwarranty (after expiration of 4yr/50K) - then refund is prorated (by time/months or miles which ever is the greater portion used on the warranty) LESS any paid claims.

Dealer cost on extended warranty goes up 5% after 30 days from original purchase - and can be purchased up to last-mile/last-day (whichever sooner) of the 4yr/50K mile new car warranty.

If financing vehcile thru MBFS - then can be 0% add-on amortization to your vehcile purchase.

"Some" choose adding warranty to "park" extra cash at the tail end - remember warranty refund separate process that takes about 6 weeks to have that future cash in-hand.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:54 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 volkswagen beetle
Originally Posted by RedwinGV
If I understand this correctly though, if one doesn't use it, one can get a refund of it. Some time value of money is the cost. Not too much of a cost from that perspective.
I don't know if it is refunded or not if you don't use it. If they do refund, than its a no brainer. Get the warranty.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
Originally Posted by RedwinGV
If you trade in or sell the car you can get a pro-rated refund. If you have the car during the covered period it's just like insurance. You gambled and lost. Unfortunately to win the car has to have covered repairs done. I would not have any of the new cars or trucks without the extended coverage if I were to keep them for 7 or 8 years. They are just too expensive to repair. As Clint said " Do you feel lucky?"