GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Beware-run flats

Old 10-04-2017, 05:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes GLC 250d, Mercedes B200
Originally Posted by larrypmyers

Makes me think, perhaps there is in fact, no difference between MOE and run flat flat tires.

MOE actually stands for Mercedes Original Equipment. My GLC has normal tyres and came equipped with a pump and a can of goo in the boot (trunk). On my tyres (tires) it also says MOE on the side.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
Originally Posted by bips
Changing to run-flats is like any other mod - in Australia it's virtually impossible to find anything written that says you can, and it's also virtually impossible to find anything written to say you can't.

Teckno and I have rather different outlooks. By his own admission (in another related thread) he is rather risk averse. I'm not a risk taker, but I do believe in informed risk management. The best you can do is talk to your insurance company. I did that and switched to non-RFT.

I was also comforted by the fact that when we bought the GLC, I discussed the option with my dealer and they said, sure we can do that, but people usually wait until the first service, presumably to get their money's worth out of the initial tyres. If my dealer didn't see a problem then nor can I. That said, as you can see from recent posts, dealer responses in the US seem to vary enormously.
First service is 10,000 miles. So much for expecting decent wear from the OEM's.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
My GLC with 22,000 miles has 6/32 tread remaining on 19 inch Pirellis.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C350e with Comand, Vision Package and seat package, 2017 Mini Cooper S 7
Changing to run-flats is like any other mod - in Australia it's virtually impossible to find anything written that says you can, and it's also virtually impossible to find anything written to say you can't.

Teckno and I have rather different outlooks. By his own admission (in another related thread) he is rather risk averse. I'm not a risk taker, but I do believe in informed risk management. The best you can do is talk to your insurance company. I did that and switched to non-RFT.

I was also comforted by the fact that when we bought the GLC, I discussed the option with my dealer and they said, sure we can do that, but people usually wait until the first service, presumably to get their money's worth out of the initial tyres. If my dealer didn't see a problem then nor can I. That said, as you can see from recent posts, dealer responses in the US seem to vary enormously.
Went to my tyre dealer to discuss this. He knew of no regulation about this, but, advised to check with my insurance since this may affect any claim (As was previously mentioned).
He was absolutely against changing from run flats. I argued that they would not be available in country towns, but, he said that most country dealers had very cheap non runflat tyres that could be used in an emergency. I'm not convinced about that argument.

However, he suggested that the rear tyres were wearing oddly and that a wheel alignment was needed. I had this done.

He checked the tyre pressures (set by the dealer from new) and found that they were way above recommendation. He set them to recommended pressures and now the ride, with Airmatic, is what I expected from a MB car.

It was the hard ride that made me consider changing. Now I am happy with the runflats.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
Originally Posted by JIMSHANN
Went to my tyre dealer to discuss this. He knew of no regulation about this, but, advised to check with my insurance since this may affect any claim (As was previously mentioned).
He was absolutely against changing from run flats. I argued that they would not be available in country towns, but, he said that most country dealers had very cheap non runflat tyres that could be used in an emergency. I'm not convinced about that argument.

However, he suggested that the rear tyres were wearing oddly and that a wheel alignment was needed. I had this done.

He checked the tyre pressures (set by the dealer from new) and found that they were way above recommendation. He set them to recommended pressures and now the ride, with Airmatic, is what I expected from a MB car.

It was the hard ride that made me consider changing. Now I am happy with the runflats.
Can you post what they are? I know what is listed by our fuel filler door, but there are 2 values. One with a full load and another. I keep mine on the full load as I typically have at least 2 passengers along with extras...adds about 300+ pounds. I've only got 10k miles on ours and wear doesn't look bad. At times I do find the ride a bit rougher.. when going over bumps. I've asked one dealer about it and they claimed it's normal. I'll be checking another in a few but still curious about TP's
TIA
Old 10-04-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by RedwinGV
Can you post what they are? I know what is listed by our fuel filler door, but there are 2 values. One with a full load and another. I keep mine on the full load as I typically have at least 2 passengers along with extras...adds about 300+ pounds. I've only got 10k miles on ours and wear doesn't look bad. At times I do find the ride a bit rougher.. when going over bumps. I've asked one dealer about it and they claimed it's normal. I'll be checking another in a few but still curious about TP's
TIA
There is a long thread on tire pressure which can give you the experience of others on what their toes are set to

Upon delivery mine were low 40's. I dropped them a bit at a time and​and ended up around 34 which significantly improved the ride.

I did notice as the weather has now cooled bit i may need to add a bit of air

​​​​​​
Old 10-04-2017, 09:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GenesisG70 '20 GLC300 DakotaBrwn/Silk '16
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
There is a long thread on tire pressure which can give you the experience of others on what their toes are set to

Upon delivery mine were low 40's. I dropped them a bit at a time and​and ended up around 34 which significantly improved the ride.

I did notice as the weather has now cooled bit i may need to add a bit of air

​​​​​​
Yes, I've followed that thread quite closely. I was curious as to what the OP has his set at.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
Originally Posted by mikbar2
First service is 10,000 miles. So much for expecting decent wear from the OEM's.
Well part of your money's worth perhaps. Some people here report quite poor mileage on the OEM tyres and others seem to get good mileage. Go figure.

I was only reporting what the MD dealership salesman said. Personally I think you'd be better off changing at new and trying to sell them, than waiting 12 months and having partly worn tyres with little residual value.

He was absolutely against changing from run flats.
Did he say why?

Run-flats are tolerable with air. If I had air I may well have stuck with them. Although I found that the improved steering was the biggest improvement from switching to non-RFT.

If you stick with RFT there's still issue of how you handle a flat more than 80kms from help, esp if you don't have a phone signal. Also if you gash a sidewall enough to negate the ability to drive on a RFT. Has happened to us (saved by my complete spare tyre) and to a family member (no spare).
Old 10-05-2017, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by RedwinGV
TIA
Have just checked. They are 37psi (260kPA) all round.

This surprises me, since he said he reduced the pressures considerably. According to my label, it is a little high for the front and a little low for the rear. Don't have any idea why he selected these pressures. (Maybe experience?)

He did say that Pirelli P Zero runflats give a better ride and life than the Continentals and that I should, eventually, change to these.
The following users liked this post:
RedwinGV (10-05-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by jimmykashmir
Hello - I believe this nail is closer to the tread and should be simply patchable?

This is a run-flat tire that the GLC comes with...

I can tell you that i had a similar but smaller nail in my back tire. MB dealer immediately said that they were not going to patch it "That Run Flats are never to be patched" I went to a local shop, the tech took one look at it and plugged in less than 10 minutes. Not looking back. I have less than 5k on them.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC300
Originally Posted by psgmolina
I can tell you that i had a similar but smaller nail in my back tire. MB dealer immediately said that they were not going to patch it "That Run Flats are never to be patched" I went to a local shop, the tech took one look at it and plugged in less than 10 minutes. Not looking back. I have less than 5k on them.
Same things, the first month I receive my GLC 300 I had a nail on my right back tire. I plugged and now the tire have 10000km, no problem.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Mercedes GLC, 2021 BMW X3
GLC Run Flats

Originally Posted by kinleysma
Follow up....The Gen. Mgr from the giant dealership that I tried to get help from that day called to apologize, but also didn't really offer a solution for anyone in the same future predicament. My local dealership clarified that the Pirelli run flats CAN be patched twice as long as its on the tread. If you have the Continentals they CANNOT. My patch has held and the tire seems fine. It would have been really helpful that day for someone to just know that patching wasn't a cardinal sin.
I did go ahead and purchase the slime/inflator kit to keep in my car. I know that also isn't really supposed to be used on run flats either, but in the situation I faced I would have done it. Interestingly the same kit is an option from MB. It is mentioned in the manual. I went so far as to suggest they include it with their new car sales if they weren't going to stock any tires.
It seems like such a poor oversight for a brand I thought was supposed to be a cut above.
I have a 2017 GLC300 and one of tires was loosing pressure (due to nail/screw). My wife took it to NTB and they said it could npt be repaired. Then she took it to Discount Tire (who is the best tire store in my opinion) and they repaired it and it has been fine for over 3 months! I am waiting for the Bridgestone Driveguard to come out with a tire for the GLC (18") - it is run fat and has a 50k treadwear warranty! Great tire..
Old 05-18-2018, 11:21 AM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 C300 4 Matic
Originally Posted by mbchris
Run flats are patchable as long as they are on the tread. Check out the manufacturer recommendation. Benz etc. don't want the liability.

Large BMW dealerships carry their entire range of tires for RFT - not sure why Benz don't. Of course you will pay for that privilege.
This just is not the case.
I personally know a BMW salesperson that had a runflat tire go bad on an X5 they were driving. Took a week to get a tire in for it.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:51 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by abqhudson
This just is not the case.
I personally know a BMW salesperson that had a runflat tire go bad on an X5 they were driving. Took a week to get a tire in for it.
Something seriously wrong here with the supply chain. Where I live, almost without exception, out of stock tires can be had the next day.

Considering the large number of different sizes and types of tires in use today, not unusual the retailer does not have the size or type needed. Especially if the buyer has in mind a specific tire.

The biggest disadvantage of run flat tires is lack of choice. My oe tires are getting close to needing replacement. Accordingly have been looking at replacements. Searching on the web keyed up 32 different tires compatable with my vehicle. I then changed the search to runflats. Tire choice went to four from 32.

Last edited by larrypmyers; 05-18-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC, Q7
This may be helpful. I changed from 20" RFT to 19" MO tyres. What a difference. The handling and ride greatly improved. Whilst the downside is the need to carry a MB emergency tyre or the air glue, you do have a better ride and less fear of being stuck on a country road in the middle of nowhere.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:12 PM

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
E300-4matic
Forgot Run Flats

After years of driving MB’s every time I get a new one I go right to the parts dept. and order a spare wheel and then get on the internet to order a spare tire from the tire rack.com and when they get to my house I bring the tire and wheel to Firestone and get them mounted and balanced for $35. So, at the end of the day the car costs me an extra $500 but I never have to worry about flats or blowouts, look if you can afford a $60k to $100k car you can afford an extra $500, it’s that simple.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:17 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by 1guitar
After years of driving MB’s every time I get a new one I go right to the parts dept. and order a spare wheel and then get on the internet to order a spare tire from the tire rack.com and when they get to my house I bring the tire and wheel to Firestone and get them mounted and balanced for $35. So, at the end of the day the car costs me an extra $500 but I never have to worry about flats or blowouts, look if you can afford a $60k to $100k car you can afford an extra $500, it’s that simple.
Agreed, but the problem is there is nowhere to store it in the vehicle without making the cargo area basically useless
​​​
Old 05-20-2018, 04:59 AM

GLC, Q7
Whilst a spare tyre takes up space in the rear, it isn't such a big issue as the wagon has a high roof line in the back. Sure stacking cargo is not necessary convenient. Furthermore, in some circumstances you can remove the spare tyre and rely upon a glue air for journeys within the city boundaries .

I wonder those continuously criticizing the vehicle actually own one. The benefits of the car far outweigh the minor negatives. Just enjoy the car. If you can't, sell the car and buy something else.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:27 AM

GLC 250D
I'm with Ian.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 MB GLC300 & 2020 GLE350
Originally Posted by Ian of Sydney
This may be helpful. I changed from 20" RFT to 19" MO tyres. What a difference. The handling and ride greatly improved. Whilst the downside is the need to carry a MB emergency tyre or the air glue, you do have a better ride and less fear of being stuck on a country road in the middle of nowhere.
Same here! After losing considerable air pressure on a Sunday night trip from the Outer banks and having to pull off and add more "SLIME and airseveral times, I got rid of the run flats at 22,000 miles, purchased a "reconditioned" MB wheel and put the best of the run flats on the reconditioned wheel. I lug it into the back for out of town trips, otherwise it stays in the garage.And the ride is So MUCH better with the new Michelin Latitudes!!!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:45 PM

GLC 250D
This may be helpful. I changed from 20" RFT to 19" MO tyres. What a difference. The handling and ride greatly improved.
Coming from someone who did the same thing just on a year ago with the same results, a couple of questions if I may. Where did you get them from? Tempe Tyres? Which wheels and tyres? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by MO?
Old 05-21-2018, 09:22 PM

Coming from someone who did the same thing just on a year ago with the same results, a couple of questions if I may. Where did you get them from? Tempe Tyres? Which wheels and tyres? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by MO?
MO tyres.
These are Mercedes Original tyres. Apparently they are not true run flats and are designed by Mercedes.
I read this somewhere, but, it didn't explain the difference compared to true run flats.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:05 AM

GLC, Q7
MO are not RFT. They are simply Mercedes approved tyres which can be ordered from most if not all major tyre retailers. Brought mine from Bob Jane Tmart. Rims were purchased from Mercedes Benz Aust.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MB GLC250
Thumbs up

MO are not RFT. They are simply Mercedes approved tyres which can be ordered from most if not all major tyre retailers. Brought mine from Bob Jane Tmart. Rims were purchased from Mercedes Benz Aust.
Just to clarify.
MO labelled tyres are Mercedes version of RFT specifications. They are very similar in construction to Tyres labelled 'RFT'. The only difference is some concessions to given for ride comfort. MO labelled tyres do come in a little short of the specifications, to allow the 'RFT' label to be used.
Accordingly, MB, stipulates MO tyres as being 'designed by MB for MB vehicles'.
I beg to differ, in respect of my GLC …when the Bridgestone Duellers wear out, they will be replaced by standard tyres. A 12v tyre inflator/compressor and a can of 'slime' gives me the same protection as MO.

From Jax Tyres:
According to Bridgestone (supplier of MOE tyres to Mercedes) MOExtended technology is similar to their RFT (Run Flat Tyre) range. Bridgestone use thinner rubber sidewall inserts in their MOE marked tyres to provide improved ride comfort (when the tyre is operating at standard inflation pressure) compared to their RFT variants. In this case, MOExtended Bridgestone tyres are less durable than RFT when operated at zero pressure and consequently have a reduced runflat capability.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:31 AM

GLC, Q7
Originally Posted by Citizen613
Just to clarify.
MO labelled tyres are Mercedes version of RFT specifications. They are very similar in construction to Tyres labelled 'RFT'. The only difference is some concessions to given for ride comfort. MO labelled tyres do come in a little short of the specifications, to allow the 'RFT' label to be used.
Accordingly, MB, stipulates MO tyres as being 'designed by MB for MB vehicles'.
I beg to differ, in respect of my GLC …when the Bridgestone Duellers wear out, they will be replaced by standard tyres. A 12v tyre inflator/compressor and a can of 'slime' gives me the same protection as MO.

From Jax Tyres:
According to Bridgestone (supplier of MOE tyres to Mercedes) MOExtended technology is similar to their RFT (Run Flat Tyre) range. Bridgestone use thinner rubber sidewall inserts in their MOE marked tyres to provide improved ride comfort (when the tyre is operating at standard inflation pressure) compared to their RFT variants. In this case, MOExtended Bridgestone tyres are less durable than RFT when operated at zero pressure and consequently have a reduced runflat capability.
Suggest you re-read the note from Jax Tyres. They are referring to MOE tyres ( which are a type of RFT) and not MO tyres ( which are not RFT). Yes you would be right, very confusing and a common misunderstanding on this forum. If you need further convincing, just go to a major tyre retailer.

Last edited by Ian of Sydney; 05-22-2018 at 06:12 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Beware-run flats