GLC300 starting issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC
GLC300 starting issues

Hello -

The GLC is my first Mercedes and it has been a frustrating experience so far. I've been experiencing a few issues and have taken my GLC to the dealership several times for the same problem now.

Randomly, when I press the start button the car begins to start but ultimately fails to turn on. All of the electronics go on.

I then have to click the button to turn the car off fully... Once off, I press the button a third time and it always starts successfully.

It happens completely randomly and the dealership has not been able to replicate the problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:07 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
E300, C63
sounds to me like you're letting your foot off the brake pedal before the starting sequence has completed. Even letting off a small amount will cause it to stop cranking, as the ESP is very sensitive to brake pedal position. Happened to me a lot at first, because with my previous car(different brand) I could let my foot off the brake as soon as it began cranking, and would continue to start itself.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC
Thanks for that reply I will pay close attention to the brake and see what happens. My previous car wAs an Acura RDX.

I didn't mention this because it's only happened twice in about 5 months.... but the car has failed to kick back on at a red light from eco start. May be unrelated but I doubt it.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:56 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
E300, C63
possibly related.... I have seen a few that have sporadic crankshaft position sensor failures cause the same issue in regards to the eco start failing. Also, the auxiliary oil pump for the transmission can cause that, however I have only seen that issue on the 722.9 trans(i.e. w205 chassis)

Pay attention to pedal when/if it happens again. If you are certain that your foot is firmly depressed on the brake pedal and you did not let up, I would certainly take it back to the dealer.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:10 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by cmhatter
Thanks for that reply I will pay close attention to the brake and see what happens. My previous car wAs an Acura RDX.

I didn't mention this because it's only happened twice in about 5 months.... but the car has failed to kick back on at a red light from eco start. May be unrelated but I doubt it.
I'm sorry to hear that. I've had that a few times on our current GL class, well my wife to be honest. Was a right pain, we traded in our Prius to the GL as it was the ultimate anti-prius and then still the eco stuff came to hound us.

Mercedes has done some software updates to a controller for us, sounded like a network switch, and I must admit it has behaved itself since. We also found that when that happens hitting the eco button so it goes off helps to get going again. Maybe it works for a GLC as well.

I hope we don't get more of this nonsense on our GLC. Good luck with it.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 GLC 300
Originally Posted by cmhatter

I too, have migrated from an RDX...curious if your take on GLC vs RDX matches mine...