music plays automatically

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 04:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dodge
music plays automatically

Hi everyone,
I have GLC with command online when I pair my iPhone 6 via Bluetooth, it always plays music automatically when I get into the car, how can I disable this feature? So I can press the paly button each time?

Also is there any way to display the album cover into the command online display?

Thanks
Old 11-05-2016, 07:26 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by muhco3
Hi everyone,
I have GLC with command online when I pair my iPhone 6 via Bluetooth, it always plays music automatically when I get into the car, how can I disable this feature? So I can press the paly button each time?

Also is there any way to display the album cover into the command online display?

Thanks
On the Command Online system on my GL the only way to display cover art was to actually plug it in. There was a socket in the arm rest. It won't do it via bluetooth.

And yes I'd love to know a way it doesn't auto play, nor auto switch when you plug it in.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 220d Sport Premium Plus/Offroad pkg
... it always plays music automatically when I get into the car, how can I disable this feature? So I can press the paly button each time?
Thanks
This annoys me too. Especially when it chooses to use my wife's phone and playlist! I've not found a proper cure - the trouble is that it has been designed by German car engineers, not infotainment ergonomics professionals

My workaround is to set Media to play from an empty source, the USB slot perhaps, and this does stop the wretched music coming on every time. I hope someone can enlighten us with a real solution.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:30 AM

right to be forgotten
Press stop on the phone before switching it off, or just remove her phone from the system :P
Old 11-05-2016, 08:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 220d Sport Premium Plus/Offroad pkg
Originally Posted by dejongj
Press stop on the phone before switching it off, or just remove her phone from the system :P
Nah - I like her to pay for the data connection
Old 11-05-2016, 12:06 PM

dodge
Thanks everyone for the contribution, I'm disappointed in this car, it is 2017 and with this problem that the music plays automatically + no apple car play like its counterparts from Mercedes E-Class, GLA, GLE, etc...

I hope someone will be able to help us.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
E300, C63
Thanks everyone for the contribution, I'm disappointed in this car, it is 2017 and with this problem that the music plays automatically + no apple car play like its counterparts from Mercedes E-Class, GLA, GLE, etc...

I hope someone will be able to help us.
no offense, but how is that a "problem"??? when you have the radio on, and turn your car back on, the radio plays. When you have a CD playing, and turn your car off/back on, the CD plays. Why would you expect anything different from bluetooth audio?? This feature is the same across every make/model I've ever experienced or owned.

Also, having personally used Apple CarPlay, I couldn't care less that the C/GLC doesn't have it. Slow/limited interface.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:17 PM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by ec_nova
no offense, but how is that a "problem"??? when you have the radio on, and turn your car back on, the radio plays. When you have a CD playing, and turn your car off/back on, the CD plays. Why would you expect anything different from bluetooth audio?? This feature is the same across every make/model I've ever experienced or owned.

Also, having personally used Apple CarPlay, I couldn't care less that the C/GLC doesn't have it. Slow/limited interface.
I've got the agree with you ec_nova - I don't see how this is a problem. I mean you have a preset selected and it continues as a preset after you get back in the car. What is the issue with that? And it works from both devices, the iPhone does the same, it remembers where you were last at to the second and continues from where it left off.

Having Apple Play would not make it operate any differently.

What I do find annoying is how it automatically switches to the Media Interface when you plug in a device. I don't want that, I just want to plug it in so it charges. But in the grand scheme of things, it is just an annoyance.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:26 PM

E300, C63
I've got the agree with you ec_nova - I don't see how this is a problem. I mean you have a preset selected and it continues as a preset after you get back in the car. What is the issue with that? And it works from both devices, the iPhone does the same, it remembers where you were last at to the second and continues from where it left off.

Having Apple Play would not make it operate any differently.

What I do find annoying is how it automatically switches to the Media Interface when you plug in a device. I don't want that, I just want to plug it in so it charges. But in the grand scheme of things, it is just an annoyance.
Agreed. My guess is they figured less people would complain when they plugged in their media device and it automatically selected it vs plugging it in then having to navigate to it. The assumption being if you're plugging it in, it's because you intend to use it.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:29 PM

right to be forgotten
Yup - although a switch would have been nice in both use cases
Old 11-05-2016, 01:32 PM

dodge

Whats suits you does not necessarily suit everyone, I for one don't want it to paly automatically and finds it annoying, considering the car class and price tag this is a negative point, in my opinion, as an owner.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:41 PM

right to be forgotten
Whats suits you does not necessarily suit everyone, I for one don't want it to paly automatically and finds it annoying, considering the car class and price tag this is a negative point, in my opinion, as an owner.
Which is great, so switch to another input or stop playing on the phone I can be done, just in a different place than you think. It is the same when you connect a bluetooth headset, it will continue then as well. Barking is good, it is even better when it directed at the correct target
Old 11-05-2016, 02:04 PM

E300, C63
the car class? Not sure what that has to do with anything, but it's not even in the top half of MB's SUV lineup. Regardless, a $14,000 Kia does the same thing, so do the $200,000+ Maybach's. I suppose your only option would be to sell the GLC and buy a car from the 90's that didn't even have bluetooth?
Old 11-05-2016, 03:27 PM

dodge
the car class? Not sure what that has to do with anything, but it's not even in the top half of MB's SUV lineup. Regardless, a $14,000 Kia does the same thing, so do the $200,000+ Maybach's. I suppose your only option would be to sell the GLC and buy a car from the 90's that didn't even have bluetooth?
What is your point exactly? I don't need any suggestions for Mercedes sales personnel, if you have an answer to my question above, please answer it otherwise relief me from your personal opinions that I don't ask for.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:32 PM

dodge
Which is great, so switch to another input or stop playing on the phone I can be done, just in a different place than you think. It is the same when you connect a bluetooth headset, it will continue then as well. Barking is good, it is even better when it directed at the correct target
Well ,don't have any problem except that I want it to play at a press of a button , in the meanwhile I may switch to a USB although is not a practical as Bluetooth , but what can you do .
Old 11-05-2016, 04:56 PM

right to be forgotten
Take a look in the manual, there is a whole section about this and how to prevent auto connecting Bluetooth audio profile. Personally I would find it annoying but it may do what you want.
Attached Thumbnails music plays automatically-img_0110.png  
Old 11-06-2016, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Glc 300 4matic
I like to stream Spotify. It is super annoying for the car to decide to play music from my Apple library randomly after I've started driving cutting Spotify off mid song.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:33 PM

dodge
Take a look in the manual, there is a whole section about this and how to prevent auto connecting Bluetooth audio profile. Personally I would find it annoying but it may do what you want.
Thank you, yesterday I have tried everything possible and nothing worked, so I kept pausing the musing from the mouse I every time.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:39 PM

dodge
Originally Posted by kinleysma
I like to stream Spotify. It is super annoying for the car to decide to play music from my Apple library randomly after I've started driving cutting Spotify off mid song.
Well, when I searched this issue in other forums and some blogs it was quite common, and some people associate it with the iPhone being responsible for this. Honestly, I haven't tried an Andriod phone to make sure whether the *"issue" is in the car or the phone itself.

*Yes it is an issue for me and very annoying one.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:33 AM

right to be forgotten
Interestingly, yesterday I picked up my GLC43 so now have experience with the current version of command. One thing I noted was that it doesn't automatically switch when I plug in my iPhone 7 is plugged in.

I don't stream Spotify but I will believe that Apple will resort to its default Apple Music instead. We have Apple Music so as such I don't experience at all what you are getting.

But like in my case with three phones connected you'll have the have some manual management to tell it which one to use.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW X3

The problem is if you stop the "Radio" or "CD" last time, will they continue to play after restart your car? Of course not. But only the bluetooth continue to play even I disabled it before.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300
All the cars I've owned with Bluetooth connection play music automatically, regardless of brand.

There are plenty of internet articles about this:
Many newer cars have Bluetooth stereo systems that sync wirelessly with an iPhone. One common and prominent feature of this experience is that music will automatically start playing from the iPhone through the Bluetooth speakers when you get into the car, sometimes autoplaying from a local music library or sometimes from a streamed music service

Be aware there is currently no perfect solution to this. The good news is you can use a few workarounds for stopping auto-playing music over Bluetooth from iPhone to a car stereo. The bad news is there is no single setting on the iPhone to stop auto-playing music over Bluetooth,
Old 12-13-2017, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300
Since this issue has been re-opened. I think the way Mercedes is doing it is annoying and by no means the way every other manufacturer does it.

I have had several BMW's, including a new 2018 model. All have this wonderful power off button for media. Leave the power on and yes, the last connected will play. Press power off before exiting and it will stay off when the car is started again.

Now, on the Mercedes, it has a Mute button. If I switch to radio and then press Mute, the source is muted. If I restart the car the source stays muted. Great! However, if I switch source to Bluetooth and Mute, the source does not stay muted when I restart. What is needed is same behavior between Radio as source and Bluetooth as source.

My current workaround is that when I park the car, I switch the source to Radio and then Mute. When the I restart the car, perfect silence! The workaround require two steps, switch to Radio and Mute vs. a single power button like the BMW.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Way different than radio etc.

Agreed. My guess is they figured less people would complain when they plugged in their media device and it automatically selected it vs plugging it in then having to navigate to it. The assumption being if you're plugging it in, it's because you intend to use it.
ridiculous response that it is OK -
if I turn off my radio or CD it doesn’t automatically start again when I turn on my car. The phone will play a song from library or from Audible, Youtube even if you turned it off.

How is that ok?

You need to turn it off over and over unless you swipe it to the end off the song with car off.

Last edited by Del Toro 2300; 10-27-2018 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Posted to wrong comment.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
FWIW - this has been the norm for a while. My previous GLA did the same thing. What's truly annoying is it plays the last thing played. So let's say every day you listen to podcasts on your drive - that's great, it keeps reopening podcasts, unless you listened to something else in between. And by listen - it means ANY media. So let's say you watched that stupid cat video someone pointed out, or something more embarrassing let's say, that is what is paused and will resume playing when you get in the car. Even if a bunch of time has gone by! So be careful on that one!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.