GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC43 - Test Drive notes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 10:40 PM

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
GLC43 - Test Drive notes

My local dealer received their GLC43 last weekend and I managed to spend about 3 hours with it. As a point of comparison: I'd spent about 30 minutes with a GLC300 immediately afterwards. Here's a summary of my thoughts:

The exterior:

The example I drove came with 20" multispoke wheels (painted), Obsidian Black Metallic paint, LED headlamps, illuminated star, and optional roof spoiler. As far as the latter 2 items are concerned I'd suggest skipping them and saving yourself $800.

The LED headlamps appeared to be fully LED and did not change direction in sync with the steering wheel.

The interior:

The GLC43 came with the standard Black MB-Tex/DINAMICA with Red stitching interior. The doors were trimmed with aluminum and the center console was covered with piano black plastic. (The standard trim.) The vehicle also came equipped with the Premium 2 package and Burmester audio.

Despite what the mbusa.com website shows, the standard interior on the GLC43 provides 14-way seats (including 4-way lumbar and 3-postion memory) for both driver and passenger.

The piano black center console is a fingerprint (and scratch) magnet. Would not recommend.

The artificial suede material on the seats (aka DINAMICA) was grippy but not obnoxiously so. This was notable since I fidget a lot. (For what it's worth: I was wearing jeans. I'm not sure how obnoxious it would be if I were wearing dress pants or gym clothes.)

The interior passed my "backseat test": I position the front seat so that it's comfortable for me then sit behind myself. I'm 6'2" and about 205 lbs and I had 1-2 inches left in front of my knees to spare. Not bad. (For comparison: The Porsche Macan I sat in last year failed this test miserably. Not only were my knees jammed into the seatback but my head was hitting the roof.)

I haven't compared the Burmester audio to the base audio, so I can't tell you how much of an improvement it is. I played various types of music over Bluetooth (jazz, orchestral, rock, and electronic) and didn't find the system wanting. I did have to use the EQ to boost the low-end a little bit however. For the perceived audio performance and fantastic looking laser-cut aluminum speaker grilles, $850 seems like a fair price to pay for what you get.

Performance:

Switching between the various Dynamic Select modes (ECO, Comfort, Sport and Sport+) does noticeably change the character of the car. In Sport or Sport+ mode the acceleration will snap your head back into your headrest if you're not paying attention (my passenger wasn't) and you'll be able to chirp the tires as the 9 speed transmission slams through the gears. As an added bonus: Dynamic Select also alters the exhaust note and putting it into Sport or Sport+ will have it spitting out a series of rapid-fire pops when you downshift. It's awesome and your neighbors will probably hate you for it.

The air suspension was a bit of a mixed bag. When taking corners at speed it exhibited a preternatural ability to keep the GLC completely level no matter how aggressive I was. In comfort mode, I found then air suspension on the GLC43 was stiffer than the steel springs on the GLC300 I drove that day. Said GLC also came equipped with 18" wheels and therefore an additional inch of sidewall. I'm not sure how much of the difference in feel could be attributed to the suspension or the tires. Regardless, it's a shame that Mercedes didn't see fit to offer a 19" wheel option for the GLC43 in the US.

(On a side note: After the GLC43 had warmed up, I noticed the tires were filled to 36-37 psi...which seemed rather high to me.)

Another complaint of mine was that comfort mode didn't mute the exhaust as much as I would've liked. The GLC300 sets another standard here with an exhaust that just seemed to fade into the background of road and wind noise. On the GLC43 the exhaust would emit an incessant droning that gave me a headache. (To be fair to the GLC43: I was stressed and dehydrated.)

Conclusion:

If you're looking for a fast, sporty crossover the GLC43 is a compelling, balanced package.

If you're looking for a fast, luxury crossover the GLC43...might not be what you're looking for.

The GLC43 is limited by a series of seemingly arbitrary limitations when it comes to the ordering process. Want a grey headliner with that black leather interior? Sorry, only on the base model. Want 19" wheels to help soften the ride? That too is only available on the base model. Would you rather have the Black MBTex interior with grey contrast stitching? You sure can - at zero cost no less! - on the base model.

Mercedes can make a good car even better by making the GLC43 a superset of the GLC300 and not an alternative to it.
The following 4 users liked this post by FrostyZoob:
clarst (11-12-2016), peteh21 (11-18-2016), speedeye (11-13-2016), tiger_x (01-30-2017)
Old 11-12-2016, 11:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
GLC
Nice writeup--thanks!
Old 11-13-2016, 04:24 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Interesting write up, a couple of points to note as some of the comments made highly depends on the amount of use/mileage it will have had.

- LED Headlamps: Sounds like just the basic option was put on the car LED+ with ILS most definitely changes direction with the steering, and keeps full beam whilst blacking out the vehicle in front and oncoming

- DINAMICA: I've now driven it in jeans, suit, shorts, my wife and daughters in a dress. Much prefer it to the all leather of our GL AMG that was outgoing, much less slippy but not so that it grips your skirt off But then again none of us are fidgety.

- Gloss Black: Yes looks like a finger print magnet, but based on having similar in my Golf R for two years and beyond the fear it never becoming a reality I doubt it is any different here. So far no issue at all, although I've heard of a UK user who had theirs replaced due to scratches. Personally I don't like how the alternatives darken the trim on the doors as well, but it is a choice. I would not recommend people not to go for it based on a test drive. I might be proofed wrong in a few thousand miles

- Burmester requires running in like every system, it is impossible on a new car to make judgement on how it sounds. I agree it is not bad at all, and when this tight and new it is better than my Harmon Kardon sounded in the GL AMG. So it is promising.

- Tyre pressure, oh gosh yes that sounds like it is bit high.

- The comments regarding comfort I found interesting, I think it comes down to the wheels and tyres ultimately if you look for that soft bouncy character. I test drove diesel versions in the UK (albeit in AMG line) and one had 20" wheels on it as well. The actual AMG is seriously more comfortable in comfort mode on 21" than that one was. To me, and my children and wife and grand parents, the key question is whether is can be driven normally without shaking your bones all the time. And the answer to that is a big fat YES. On our terrible UK roads with pot holes it does a really good job to quickly adjust and keep the vehicle steady. Yesterday I took it on unhardened surfaces to go to the stables and pick up my daughter, the 21s and a bumpy muddy farm track were absolutely fine. But yes I have no doubt that if you put 17" wheels on it the high sidewalls would make it even bouncier. Not sure that is the point why anyone would get the AMG version

- Regarding the noice, I guess you didn't spot the ECO mode But be aware this is an AMG. Not an AMG line, it is an AMG, you will get access to the Private Lounge and events by AMG. It is fast and loud like AMG's are. I don't know how many miles the vehicle had on it that you've driven, but I can guarantee you that it only gets louder with age. I was away for business in Poland/Russia for a few days this week, and noticed I could hear it arrive back on Saturday morning whilst I was in the office at the back of our house. Likewise later when it started up. And my wife hasn't touched Sport+ yet, I have for short sprints to ensure I vary the engine speeds. And yes it gets louder.

But basically if you don't like that, don't get an AMG vehicle It is a shame the US doesn't do the diesels, because with the 350d now available that would provide that fast, quiet, soft vehicle that some are after which in my opinion the GLC300, 220d and 250d just can't deliver. Perhaps mbusa will change their mind and provide a fast non AMG version. We are lucky in EMEA
The following 2 users liked this post by dejongj:
peteh21 (11-18-2016), speedeye (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 08:11 AM

2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by dejongj
- Regarding the noice, I guess you didn't spot the ECO mode But be aware this is an AMG. Not an AMG line, it is an AMG, you will get access to the Private Lounge and events by AMG. It is fast and loud like AMG's are. I don't know how many miles the vehicle had on it that you've driven, but I can guarantee you that it only gets louder with age. I was away for business in Poland/Russia for a few days this week, and noticed I could hear it arrive back on Saturday morning whilst I was in the office at the back of our house. Likewise later when it started up. And my wife hasn't touched Sport+ yet, I have for short sprints to ensure I vary the engine speeds. And yes it gets louder.

But basically if you don't like that, don't get an AMG vehicle It is a shame the US doesn't do the diesels, because with the 350d now available that would provide that fast, quiet, soft vehicle that some are after which in my opinion the GLC300, 220d and 250d just can't deliver. Perhaps mbusa will change their mind and provide a fast non AMG version. We are lucky in EMEA
I didn't try Eco mode. I didn't think think it would affect the sound of the exhaust any further than comfort mode already did.

I'm new to the whole Mercedes (and AMG) world so I didn't know what to expect. Now that I've spent some with both the base and AMG models, I can better understand what the "AMG" name gets you.

As far as the diesel is concerned...it sounds like it would be a better fit for me. However, I'm guessing the chances of the 6-cylinder diesel making it over to the states are slim to none. The US isn't very diesel friendly to begin with and with the VW scandal having happened so recently...well, I'm not holding my breath.

The sales manager at the dealer was pretty much making the same point as you are when trying to sell me the car: It's an AMG. It is what it is. You either like it or you don't.

Having written all this and having a full day to think about it, my expectations were that the AMG was a "best of both worlds" thing and it really isn't. I've either got to adjust my expectations or find something else.

I think what I need to do is go for another test drive. Maybe the exhaust won't bother me as much the 2nd time around.

Last edited by FrostyZoob; 11-13-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:32 AM

right to be forgotten
Yes a 350d in AMG Line (meaning just the part of the look but not the mechanical adjustments) would be best. Don't know whether Audi and Porsche have those options in the US.

Be aware, with age and running in the exhaust rumble will get louder and deeper. It will become more pronounced that what it is like in a new demonstrator.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC43AMG Polar White, 21" Alloys, Prem Plus Package, LED Intelligent Light, 360 Camera
Originally Posted by dejongj
Interesting write up, a couple of points to note as some of the comments made highly depends on the amount of use/mileage it will have had.

- LED Headlamps: Sounds like just the basic option was put on the car LED+ with ILS most definitely changes direction with the steering, and keeps full beam whilst blacking out the vehicle in front and oncoming

- DINAMICA: I've now driven it in jeans, suit, shorts, my wife and daughters in a dress. Much prefer it to the all leather of our GL AMG that was outgoing, much less slippy but not so that it grips your skirt off But then again none of us are fidgety.

- Gloss Black: Yes looks like a finger print magnet, but based on having similar in my Golf R for two years and beyond the fear it never becoming a reality I doubt it is any different here. So far no issue at all, although I've heard of a UK user who had theirs replaced due to scratches. Personally I don't like how the alternatives darken the trim on the doors as well, but it is a choice. I would not recommend people not to go for it based on a test drive. I might be proofed wrong in a few thousand miles

- Burmester requires running in like every system, it is impossible on a new car to make judgement on how it sounds. I agree it is not bad at all, and when this tight and new it is better than my Harmon Kardon sounded in the GL AMG. So it is promising.

- Tyre pressure, oh gosh yes that sounds like it is bit high.

- The comments regarding comfort I found interesting, I think it comes down to the wheels and tyres ultimately if you look for that soft bouncy character. I test drove diesel versions in the UK (albeit in AMG line) and one had 20" wheels on it as well. The actual AMG is seriously more comfortable in comfort mode on 21" than that one was. To me, and my children and wife and grand parents, the key question is whether is can be driven normally without shaking your bones all the time. And the answer to that is a big fat YES. On our terrible UK roads with pot holes it does a really good job to quickly adjust and keep the vehicle steady. Yesterday I took it on unhardened surfaces to go to the stables and pick up my daughter, the 21s and a bumpy muddy farm track were absolutely fine. But yes I have no doubt that if you put 17" wheels on it the high sidewalls would make it even bouncier. Not sure that is the point why anyone would get the AMG version

I pretty much agree with @dejongj here.. I have the same spec but with the wooden finish. Didn't want the Piano black and I am pretty happy with the finish..

The ILS LED lights, simply awesome.. Soo much more light compared to my previous Xenons..

The ride I am pretty impressed with too.. I thought it may be pretty firm and bumpy but it smoothes out most of this..
Old 11-14-2016, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by FrostyZoob

The LED headlamps appeared to be fully LED and did not change direction in sync with the steering wheel.

Was it daylight when you tested?
Old 11-14-2016, 08:19 AM

2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by decorily
Was it daylight when you tested?
Yes, it was.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by FrostyZoob
Yes, it was.
Thought so...
ILEDs only move with steering in darkness.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:46 AM

2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by decorily
Thought so...
ILEDs only move with steering in darkness.
Interesting, I wouldn't have expected that. Good to know!
Old 11-14-2016, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 300d 4matic
Maybe cuts down on wear n tear on moving parts..
Old 11-18-2016, 08:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C43
I noticed the GLC43 doesn't have any drivers package/Performance Exhaust option like the C43 does. My C43 came with a drivers package which came with the AMG Performance exhaust along with an exhaust button in the middle console. Since it doesn't have this, is it as loud as a C43? Because I know the C43 without the optional exhaust is quieter than the C450.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:59 PM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by lt1camaro
I noticed the GLC43 doesn't have any drivers package/Performance Exhaust option like the C43 does. My C43 came with a drivers package which came with the AMG Performance exhaust along with an exhaust button in the middle console. Since it doesn't have this, is it as loud as a C43? Because I know the C43 without the optional exhaust is quieter than the C450.
I've never seen or heard a C450. It is pretty loud in Sport+ and even in Comfort it is noticeable that this is no ordinary vehicle.