GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC arrives after 4 months with wrong configuration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well... a order unit gives the customer the EXACT specs the customer wants - and correctly processed is a Win/Win for the customer - the dealership - and Mercedes.

please understand that Confirmation is a copy of the actual factory PO - which lists the specs being built - and will also show estimated Production Date - THAT is the document for CONFIRMATION with the customer.

What was posted was just a salesman's Netstar configuration outline of the specs that the customer says they want to order - it is NOT confirmation.

The correct procedure - salesman submit's spec outline to the order person at the dealership - the PO gets entered or existing PO is revised - factory issues confirmation on that PO back to the dealer - salesman pulls up Netstar copy of the confirmed factory
PO - salesman emails or presents copy of FACTORY PO to customer for customer sign-off/customer confirmation.

Yes - this was dealer error - and the dealer error was POOR and INCOMPLETE communication with the customer - NO CUSTOMER CONFIRMATION - dealer and ealer-salesperson was d*mn sloppy - and what should have been straightforward is now fracked up.

If you do not have copy of FACTORY PO on your ordered Mercedes - then you DO NOT HAVE CONFIRMATION - and your rig will either exactly what you think it should be - or your ordered rig could be something different..
The following 2 users liked this post by fabbrisd1:
clarst (11-27-2016), Sigp232 (11-27-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 08:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
no more
Originally Posted by dejongj
.... I can't help but think that the dealer may have sold your nicer spec to someone willing to pay more if you had such a good deal.
+1, you were robbed and the best the dealer could do was put you onto another order that was close and hope you would bend over. Best wishes with the outcome.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
+2
Old 11-28-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
GLC
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Well... a order unit gives the customer the EXACT specs the customer wants - and correctly processed is a Win/Win for the customer - the dealership - and Mercedes.

please understand that Confirmation is a copy of the actual factory PO - which lists the specs being built - and will also show estimated Production Date - THAT is the document for CONFIRMATION with the customer.

What was posted was just a salesman's Netstar configuration outline of the specs that the customer says they want to order - it is NOT confirmation.

The correct procedure - salesman submit's spec outline to the order person at the dealership - the PO gets entered or existing PO is revised - factory issues confirmation on that PO back to the dealer - salesman pulls up Netstar copy of the confirmed factory
PO - salesman emails or presents copy of FACTORY PO to customer for customer sign-off/customer confirmation.

Yes - this was dealer error - and the dealer error was POOR and INCOMPLETE communication with the customer - NO CUSTOMER CONFIRMATION - dealer and ealer-salesperson was d*mn sloppy - and what should have been straightforward is now fracked up.

If you do not have copy of FACTORY PO on your ordered Mercedes - then you DO NOT HAVE CONFIRMATION - and your rig will either exactly what you think it should be - or your ordered rig could be something different..
Thanks, Fabbris--I was hoping you would weigh in. This answers most of my questions about what happened and confirms my suspicions.

We went to "look at" the car today (it had just arrived). Still in travel mode, with cardboard and packing inside; not yet driveable. The SA was (to me) strangely unapologetic--in his last email, he said "If you don't like the way it looks, you are not obligated to take delivery of the car. I deeply apologize for the inconvenience."

Inconvenience!?!?!? After waiting four months to take delivery of a special order, and it is the wrong build? Inconvenience?

We expressed our disappointment and asked if he could walk us through what happened--did the factory not communicate about the change? Was the first they heard of it when the vehicle hit the port in Long Beach?

He said, no communication. He said the VIN and PO had not changed and he had been following production. I said, so you followed production, but didn't keep track of whether the build changed? He semi-admitted responsibility by seeming to admit to this. I suspect they would almost prefer that we walk, because they would probably make $3-4K more than they will get from us for the car.

I said, so our options are: accept the car the way it is, reject it, or order a new one? He agreed, seemingly surprised by the last one. I said, what about getting 19" wheels swapped out for the 18" on the car? He said that was not possible. Wheels can be downsized, but not upsized, he said.

We're in a bind, because if we opt to not take the car, we have to wait another 3-4 months. If we walk, we may not get the same deal elsewhere--it seems the popularity of the car is decreasing the decent deals on special orders. We don't have much leverage (other than Yelp) since they don't seem to be too concerned about fixing this.

So, we're inclined to accept the car, even though it isn't what we ordered or what we want. Very frustrating and maddening. If they could find some 19" wheels, that would help mitigate this, but seems they won't even do this? That seems like a minor thing to try and make this right for us.

Many thanks to all who have posted here--I appreciate your perspective and sympathy. No easy solutions, but such is life.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C300 (2016), Mercedes-Benz GLC300 (2017)
This really stinks. I personally would spend a couple of hours calling around to a few dealers this morning. See what you can get, in terms of both a vehicle to or at least close to your specs and pricing. If a rep at a different dealer can make a quick deal you might be surprised on how well you can do.

The good news is that you have a ton of options in your area. Where I live, dealers are separated by 60+ miles.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts
2021 GLE450
That's a raw deal, man. Did they even offer to try to find one closer to what you ordered? I realize you are unlikely to get the exact configuration, but maybe you can sacrifice a less important option or two to get the Night Package? Oh, and the wheel thing sounds like BS. Dealerships upsize wheels all the time, but they typically make a lot of profit doing it. Helping you will cost them money, so in this case they choose not to.

I assume MB does at least one post-transaction survey? If so, at least you'll have an opportunity to report your experience to MB USA.

Last edited by HotRodW; 11-28-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 GLC 300
That is a bummer. Consider pointing out that if they don't do something to compensate for the issue, you'll be sure to bring the issue up repeatedly on various social media platforms in order to alert future customers of the dangers of doing business with that particular dealership and SA. It may or may not lead to anything, but nobody wants to get an easily searchable and honest bad review.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:34 PM

GLC
Originally Posted by pkattack
That is a bummer. Consider pointing out that if they don't do something to compensate for the issue, you'll be sure to bring the issue up repeatedly on various social media platforms in order to alert future customers of the dangers of doing business with that particular dealership and SA. It may or may not lead to anything, but nobody wants to get an easily searchable and honest bad review.
Indeed. That is one of our few levers, and I am ready to use it.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The "heat is on" at the dealership to close a strong November - and quality face time will be very thin based on the other business on the plate - I say this from a factual point of view.

My best personal advice - drive the car - then decide immediately on completion of that drive on how you feel about the car on the road.

It was sloppy order handling by the salesman/dealer - has nothing to do with you - and nothing to do with Mercedes for that matter either.

SIGNED FACTORY PO is order confirmation - anything else ain't..

There are no "threats" here - this isn't Catholic Grammar School.

Good luck !
Old 11-28-2016, 09:24 PM

GLC
The "heat is on" at the dealership to close a strong November - and quality face time will be very thin based on the other business on the plate - I say this from a factual point of view.

My best personal advice - drive the car - then decide immediately on completion of that drive on how you feel about the car on the road.

It was sloppy order handling by the salesman/dealer - has nothing to do with you - and nothing to do with Mercedes for that matter either.

Good luck !
That's a little cryptic, but I think what I'm hearing is, if we don't decide we want the car pretty quickly, there's a danger they'll sell it out from under us. Right?

To that point, I've told them we're coming in tomorrow to drive it. I have feelers out for other options, but will be prepared to make a decision.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C300 (2016), Mercedes-Benz GLC300 (2017)
Good luck...I am anxious to hear the outcome.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:45 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten

Good luck !
Originally Posted by clarst
That's a little cryptic, but I think what I'm hearing is, if we don't decide we want the car pretty quickly, there's a danger they'll sell it out from under us. Right?

To that point, I've told them we're coming in tomorrow to drive it. I have feelers out for other options, but will be prepared to make a decision.
Thing is, those options that are missing aren't really driving related are they. There will be ongoing visual reminders each time you'll walk up to that car...I doubt that driving it will make any bit of difference when it looks like any other basic model out there. I would also have thought that the future value will take a hit, I mean it sounds like you've specced it really nice, but I doubt those values will retain any value on what looks from the outside a 'basic' spec GLC.

Just something else to consider.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
I assume they'll take the cost of those options of the final bill ? Or do they want their cake and to eat it. - I.e make more profit on the deal. In Europe, the night pack is expensive (IMHO considering you don't get anything extra, just differently painted stuff)

Richard
Old 12-02-2016, 03:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC 300
We ordered our GLC on July 25 and have been waiting (somewhat) patiently now for four months. It was at the port in Germany on 10/1, left on 10/17, and finally arrived at Long Beach on 11/20.

We have been in touch with our SA and he said it cleared Customs and was on its way to the dealership today.

We were beyond disappointed to find out the our loaded GLC was not built with the Sport Package and Night Package we had ordered--and it has little 18" wheels. It has everything else (P03 package, Burmester, HUD, Panorama Roof), but not having the appearance packages is really a bummer.

Has anyone else heard of such a thing? Should the dealer have known this before the car showed up? I can't imagine that info was not available earlier in the process and suspect that they just didn't examine/confirm the build until now. (I do think it was ordered correctly, but messed up on the factory side due perhaps to parts shortage.)

It is infuriating to wait four months to get a vehicle the way we wanted it, only to find out when it arrives that it is not what we ordered.

We could order it again, or try to at least get them to find 19" tires/wheels to put on it. I'm not sure if I can bear the thought of waiting another 3-4 months, but living with a car for perhaps 10 years that isn't what we wanted is unpalatable as well.

Aargghh.
I am beyond sad for you and concerned for my order, now near the canal. I have not been following the posts and just saw this today. I do not understand! This is supposed to be the precise German culture, and they can't get an order right? I would be ready for the gloves if this happened to me. I, like you, have waited since my order of the first week of September. I have gone from casually waiting for my ship to come in, to being worried that my ship is coming in. I feel like I'm writing a sympathy card.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:06 PM

GLC
Update: After much pondering and debate, we decided to accept the vehicle. Supply is constrained somewhat, deals are currently not quite as good, and we would have had to order another GLC (none in stock configured like we wanted). Life is a series of tradeoffs, and even though the car doesn't have the appearance packages, it is still a great-looking car. The future is uncertain and there were no guarantees the next order wouldn't be delayed, something might be unavailable (HUD again?), etc. The proverbial bird in the hand...

The dealer is helping facilitate a trade-in of the 18" stock wheels/tires to aftermarket 19" versions, which will customize the vehicle and look great, so that was also a factor for us.

I appreciate everyone's input and perspective. Hopefully this thread will serve as a learning experience for others, since there is no published procedure for customers to know what their SA should do. I did not know that I should have demanded a signed Factory PO, as I (mistakenly) thought my 10-year Master Certified SA would be taking the right steps to follow through.

We picked up the car last night and will have the new wheels/tires early next week. Looking forward to many years of happy ownership and hope to participate in some good give and take here on the forum.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:41 PM

GLC 300
Update: After much pondering and debate, we decided to accept the vehicle. Supply is constrained somewhat, deals are currently not quite as good, and we would have had to order another GLC (none in stock configured like we wanted). Life is a series of tradeoffs, and even though the car doesn't have the appearance packages, it is still a great-looking car. The future is uncertain and there were no guarantees the next order wouldn't be delayed, something might be unavailable (HUD again?), etc. The proverbial bird in the hand...

The dealer is helping facilitate a trade-in of the 18" stock wheels/tires to aftermarket 19" versions, which will customize the vehicle and look great, so that was also a factor for us.

I appreciate everyone's input and perspective. Hopefully this thread will serve as a learning experience for others, since there is no published procedure for customers to know what their SA should do. I did not know that I should have demanded a signed Factory PO, as I (mistakenly) thought my 10-year Master Certified SA would be taking the right steps to follow through.

We picked up the car last night and will have the new wheels/tires early next week. Looking forward to many years of happy ownership and hope to participate in some good give and take here on the forum.
Great, and pragmatic attitude: Good luck with the GLC and, if you like, I'll relay my experience. GLC is due in at Long beach on the 17th.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:45 AM

GLC
Originally Posted by Chrenka
Great, and pragmatic attitude: Good luck with the GLC and, if you like, I'll relay my experience. GLC is due in at Long beach on the 17th.
Please do--hope your experience is smoother than mine!

Did you get a confirmation from your SA after placing your order?
Old 12-05-2016, 01:12 AM

2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by Chrenka
Mine is also scheduled to land on the 17th. Is your GLC on the Ruby Ace?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:37 AM

GLC 300
Mine is also scheduled to land on the 17th. Is your GLC on the Ruby Ace?

Yes. I see it is through the Panama Canal. Seems everything is on schedule. Good Luck.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Does anybody know how often ships depart for transport to Long Beach? Got my car built day before thanksgiving and I got VIN and last I heard car was waiting to be assigned a ship. Sales man out on vacation so trying to get an idea how often they depart from port. Tried WWL but no tracking found.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Not all cars go out on WWL. Your SÃ or dealer should be able to tell you which shipping line your vehicle is assigned to one it reaches Bremerhaven. Ships leave multiple times for East coast then they canal to west coast. My GLC was built end of January and I had in Dallas end of February. You can expect yours to take 6 to 8 weeks to end up in California.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:17 AM

2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
Not all cars go out on WWL. Your SÃ or dealer should be able to tell you which shipping line your vehicle is assigned to one it reaches Bremerhaven. Ships leave multiple times for East coast then they canal to west coast. My GLC was built end of January and I had in Dallas end of February. You can expect yours to take 6 to 8 weeks to end up in California.
Any idea how long it takes the cars to clear customs once in the US at Long Beach? I'm trying to schedule my TDI buyback around the same time the GLC shows up at the dealer.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:22 AM

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
ok good that's what I figured 6-8 weeks. Not in a hurry my TDI should be gone by end of month. So I can use that money for the car when it comes in. Thx for the quick reply.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Any idea how long it takes the cars to clear customs once in the US at Long Beach? I'm trying to schedule my TDI buyback around the same time the GLC shows up at the dealer.
Customs on my car was one day in Brunswick. It will also go thru VPC. My car made it to Dallas one week after arrival at Port of Brunswick GA.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:11 PM

GLC
From dock to dealer appears to average about a week - maybe more if you're farther away from the port.

Last edited by clarst; 12-05-2016 at 01:14 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLC arrives after 4 months with wrong configuration