GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Wiper judder ... with a twist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 250 4Matic
Wiper judder ... with a twist

Hi there, I have been driving my GLC 250 4Matic for a month now and noticed a strange problem with the wipers today. I'm well aware of the wiper judder problem and have read numerous threads on MBWorld. However I have yet to come across this particular situation.

I was driving under heavy rain today which for whatever reason worsened the juddering. The wipers were skipping badly that it even sprang so hard across the glass and hit the black plastic trim at the side of the windscreen a couple of times. Like as if there was an enormous amount of friction holding back the wiper arms from functioning properly.

At some point the wipers actually started slowing down. And I'm not talking about how the wipers automatically switch one speed down when the car decelerates close to a stop. I'm still driving through heavy rain, at about 70km/h, and the wipers start moving very sluggishly over the windscreen. I thought ok, did all that juddering finally screw up the motor? But if I switch the wiper speed up to fast continuous wipe back down to slow continuous wipe where it was, things get back to normal for a while ... before going sluggish again.

My question is, do the wipers have some kind of protection/overload mechanism? The juddering was unusually bad today, and I could see that the wiper arms had to really struggle and push to move the blades. Did the motors sense the extra load and slow itself down to avoid burning out?
Old 11-28-2016, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
So I can answer your question accurately - are you from Australia ?
Old 11-28-2016, 08:16 PM

GLC 250 4Matic
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
So I can answer your question accurately - are you from Australia ?
Haha no dude, I live in Malaysia.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:40 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
no more
Good that you have described to us the problem in real life driving conditions. However the dimwits at your dealers will only respond that they detected nothing wrong in their workshop using windscreen washer additives. Does it matter how the wipers should behave under loading? Point is you are another one of us having or had defective wipers on a car you paid a mint for. Its a problem that people seem to have or not. If you have it - sincerely, good luck!!
Old 12-07-2016, 10:43 AM

Glc250amg
Contact me

Dude, we need to talk. I'm from Malaysia, owning the same car and am extremely frustrated and troubled with the juddering issue. Need to gather more victims and approach MB Malaysia for a solution.
​​
Old 12-07-2016, 11:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
no more
Hi kokwei, my problem went away when the dealer took back the car for a full refund. It had other issues which I believe were fixed, but they won't have fixed this before it goes to the new owner.
Max