GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Suspension & Rim Size & tire selection – My experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 02:55 PM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Daniel BG
Airmatic is a tottally different system than Air Body Control....

21" runflats on the GLC 43AMG and your teeth will shatter...
Are you sure? I thought Air Body Control is just a rename of Airmatic. On my GL x166 it was called Airmatic option code 489. On the current GLS (still an x166) it is called Air Body Control option code 489. On the GLC43 it is Air Body Control option code 489. Naturally I could be wrong as you never know with Mercedes but I thought it was just a name change.

And they don't do 21" run flats on the GLC43 so I wouldn't know that. I can most definitely state that teeth do not shatter.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW M235xi
Airmatic is a tottally different system than Air Body Control....
So looking at the C and GLC builder they do have a different name, but the description sounds identical. What could be the difference?
Old 02-14-2017, 03:55 PM

BMW M235xi
Maybe the distinction is that when the wide user-adjustable ride height is added to the Airmatic system it is called Air Body Control? Otherwise they appear to be the exact same system mechanically.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:06 PM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by augerpro
Maybe the distinction is that when the wide user-adjustable ride height is added to the Airmatic system it is called Air Body Control? Otherwise they appear to be the exact same system mechanically.
I doubt it personally - it was exactly the same and same controls on my GL class. Even the option code was the same.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:10 PM

BMW M235xi
I don't disagree that they are the same system, but MB does have different names for them in the builder. Why I don't know.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by dejongj
Are you sure? I thought Air Body Control is just a rename of Airmatic. On my GL x166 it was called Airmatic option code 489. On the current GLS (still an x166) it is called Air Body Control option code 489. On the GLC43 it is Air Body Control option code 489. Naturally I could be wrong as you never know with Mercedes but I thought it was just a name change.

And they don't do 21" run flats on the GLC43 so I wouldn't know that. I can most definitely state that teeth do not shatter.
Good to know about the 21". I still have time to change back to the 20" since it doesn't go into production til end of March, but like the look of the 21" better and like having dedicated summer / winter setups.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:24 PM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by augerpro
I don't disagree that they are the same system, but MB does have different names for them in the builder. Why I don't know.
For the same vehicle? Or is it for different vehicles? But yes I do agree they have different names, but I think it is purely a historic configuration management issue rather than an actual difference.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC43
MO Marked tyres always have its limitations. But if you are happy to go for alternatively no MO markings then yes plenty of other brands as well. In 20" 285/40R20 for example shows up 4 different brands and 5 different models. 3 of which are MO marked as well. And that is just the first search.

If I go to the fronts at 255/45R20 then there is too much choice to quickly count
Wondering where you found 5 tire models in 285/40R20? My quick search on tire rack only turned up OE Goodyear RFTs. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:19 PM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjrsy
Wondering where you found 5 tire models in 285/40R20? My quick search on tire rack only turned up OE Goodyear RFTs. Thanks.
I responded to someone questioning the availability in the European market
Old 02-17-2017, 05:12 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 350D GLC 250D, Previous vehicles W204, W164, W163, W210 & W202
Air body control appears to be a multi-chamber version of airmatic where the air volume and the air pressure can be varied.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Question. What are your tyres - run flats or normal tyres ? On your GLC Wagon ?
I've noticed that the GLC Wagon 'normally?' Has run flats. But the GLC Coupe , which has the same 20" rims on front, has normal tyres.... no where on tyre sticker on body does it specify run flats.
MB tech at Mulgrave refused to answer if it was safe or approved in Oz to fit normal tyres to wagon, even though identical rims on Coupe had non run flat tyres. Concerned if I change the comp ins might be void ? Realise if normal tyres fitted I need a spare or goo and air pump as supplied in Coupe. So in Oz, Wagon only has runflats currently and Coupe only has normal tyres.
Any suggestions or comment. Anyone running wagon with normal tyres. Might give better ride. Thanks

Last edited by Teckno; 02-17-2017 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Typing error
Old 02-17-2017, 05:51 PM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Teckno
Question. What are your tyres - run flats or normal tyres ? On your GLC Wagon ?
I've noticed that the GLC Wagon 'normally?' Has run flats. But the GLC Coupe , which has the same 20" rims on front, has normal tyres.... no where on tyre sticker on body does it specify run flats.
MB tech at Mulgrave refused to answer if it was safe or approved in Oz to fit normal tyres to wagon, even though identical rims on Coupe had non run flat tyres. Concerned if I change the comp ins might be void ? Realise if normal tyres fitted I need a spare or goo and air pump as supplied in Coupe. So in Oz, Wagon only has runflats currently and Coupe only has normal tyres.
Any suggestions or comment. Anyone running wagon with normal tyres. Might give better ride. Thanks
No UK model gets supplied with run flats.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC
My AMG line on 20" rims and Pirelli Scorpions (not Run Flat) gives a great ride. Very happy and it looks good.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:05 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
As one of those who has complained about the ride quality of my GLC, I'd like to thank the OP Daniel for the post. It's the sort of comparison from personal experience that is valuable, even if subjective.

I really have only one complaint about my 20" Pirelli RFT combined with springs, and that is crashing into potholes. I have test driven (briefly) an AMG43 with 21" non-RFT and I can confirm that it doesn't seem to crash into potholes. That is, you hear the car hit the hole, but you don't really feel it.

That's what I want. What's the cheapest way of getting it? Would 20" non-RFT be sufficient? Would 19" non-RFT be better, at the cost of five new rims & tyres? (I always carry a spare when out of town, even with RFT.) Or do I really need to changeover to a GLC with the air option, however named? That's still the outstanding question for me.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:59 PM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by bips
As one of those who has complained about the ride quality of my GLC, I'd like to thank the OP Daniel for the post. It's the sort of comparison from personal experience that is valuable, even if subjective.

I really have only one complaint about my 20" Pirelli RFT combined with springs, and that is crashing into potholes. I have test driven (briefly) an AMG43 with 21" non-RFT and I can confirm that it doesn't seem to crash into potholes. That is, you hear the car hit the hole, but you don't really feel it.

That's what I want. What's the cheapest way of getting it? Would 20" non-RFT be sufficient? Would 19" non-RFT be better, at the cost of five new rims & tyres? (I always carry a spare when out of town, even with RFT.) Or do I really need to changeover to a GLC with the air option, however named? That's still the outstanding question for me.
Undoubtedly 19" non run flat will be 'better' than the 20" - but in my opinion and experience not better than the same with air body control.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:13 PM

GLC 250D
Undoubtedly 19" non run flat will be 'better' than the 20" - but in my opinion and experience not better than the same with air body control.
Just to be 100% clear, when you say "not better than the same with air body control", do you mean that 19" with non-RFT and springs is not better than the 20" with RFT and air?

What I've having difficult in getting a precise picture of is the how far you can get just with tyres and wheel size, and how much more of a difference would air make. Upgrading cars is a fairly drastic option for me, and the other part-owner would take some convincing.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:45 AM

right to be forgotten
What I meant was the same 19" with air body control.

However in my opinion the 21" with air body control is super comfortable. I had a chap come over last Thursday who wanted to experience the crabbing/juddering issue. He couldn't believe how comfortable 21" on air body control is compared to his q5 on 19" springs.

But it all depends on perspective, if you are after that old fashioned American floaty suspension, none of them do that in any configuration. It is definitely a European, German, car.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:13 AM

GLC 250D
But it all depends on perspective, if you are after that old fashioned American floaty suspension, none of them do that in any configuration. It is definitely a European, German, car.
I was in the US last year driving a Chevy Malibu rental on the roads of Arizona and I discovered the meaning of this. The combination of the suspension and the wide, smooth roads was something of a relevation. (Perhaps less so on some of the backroads labelled native routes through the Navajo nation.)

Coming home took a little adjustment as our roads are not that smooth, and as you say, the up-market European marques do aim for the firm and sporty style of ride. Even with air, it ain't no hovercraft.

But crashing into potholes is not good enough for what is in all other respects a luxury car.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:16 AM

right to be forgotten
I was in the US last year driving a Chevy Malibu rental on the roads of Arizona and I discovered the meaning of this. The combination of the suspension and the wide, smooth roads was something of a relevation. (Perhaps less so on some of the backroads labelled native routes through the Navajo nation.)

Coming home took a little adjustment as our roads are not that smooth, and as you say, the up-market European marques do aim for the firm and sporty style of ride. Even with air, it ain't no hovercraft.

But crashing into potholes is not good enough for what is in all other respects a luxury car.
I try not to crash into potholes as it isn't good for the tyres and car. But it does happen unfortunately. Sure you notice it, but I don't go Ouch like I do when that happens in my Golf.

To be fair - the interest is not a good place if this is really important to you. The only way to know is test drive the varying configuration on roads that you know. We all have different reference frameworks as to what is good.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:05 AM

GLC 250D
The only way to know is test drive the varying configuration on roads that you know.
I know. I agree. Easier said than done.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:12 AM

right to be forgotten
I know. I agree. Easier said than done.
I know. I agree
Old 03-25-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
MB GLC43 AMG
Just took delivery yesterday of my new GLC43. 19" with non-runflat.

The first thing I noticed as I drove away from the dealer wast how different the suspensión is from my GLC 250D with airbody control + 19" non-runflat. Very noticeable. Much stiffer. Only have driven it in ECO with COMFORT suspensión mode so fart (15km). I am glad I sticked to the 19" non-runflat.

AS I said in my previous posts about this I enjoy performance driving (I do not race on the roads) but appreciate a comfortable ride in long highway trips.
The following users liked this post:
bips (03-26-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Mercedes GLC43
21" runflats on the GLC 43AMG and your teeth will shatter...
Totally NOT TRUE

I have exactly that combination - 21" run flats on a GLC43 - even on potholed California roads the ride is smooth

i wouldn't switch out my wheels for anything - they're the most striking and visually appealing feature.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by rihallix
Totally NOT TRUE

I have exactly that combination - 21" run flats on a GLC43 - even on potholed California roads the ride is smooth

i wouldn't switch out my wheels for anything - they're the most striking and visually appealing feature.
Brother, you must not drive outside of Cali very often. You guys are lucky to have excellent roads throughout most of the state both Northern and Southern. Try heading up to Portland sometime. Some of the ****tiest roads you will ever encounter in a major US city. My wife's family all live down in Socal and I have friends in Eureka, Arcata, and Redding. Whenever any of them visit us they always comment on how ****ty our roads are here in Portland.

We've been lucky to only have one tire eaten by a pothole this year but they are still hungry Speed hardly even matters when the holes run all the way down through the road bed.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC43
Originally Posted by rihallix
Totally NOT TRUE

You guys I'm sure you understand that ride is completely subjective. Someone used to driving a lincoln town car is going to find the glc43 to ride very firm regardless of wheel tire combo. Someone coming from a Z51 vette will call the GLC soft and mushy whether it has 21", 22", or 24" wheels.

The mistake people make is asking someone else's opinion on a car's ride when they have no idea where they're coming from or their personal preferences. The one and only way to get a reliable answer is to go to the dealership and drive it yourself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.