GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Australia / Aussie GLC Owners - Issues and Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC43
Hi All,

I just brought a 2nd hand GLC43 from Merc and it also does the front diff shudder when turning. When i test drove it they said it was because the tyres were worn and they would put new ones on, they did that and I picked up the car today and it still does it, not quite as bad. I assumed it was due to the LSD ?
I have not had a chance to mention it to them yet, I was just reading this forum for any relevant info on these cars and noticed this.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Originally Posted by CurlyG
Hi All,

I just brought a 2nd hand GLC43 from Merc and it also does the front diff shudder when turning. When i test drove it they said it was because the tyres were worn and they would put new ones on, they did that and I picked up the car today and it still does it, not quite as bad. I assumed it was due to the LSD ?
I have not had a chance to mention it to them yet, I was just reading this forum for any relevant info on these cars and noticed this.
Yes well known problem for RHD cars in Aust, UK, Sth Africa, NZ, Thailand etc.
Check your manual book, there will be a passage in it that tells you to change from summer tyres to winter tread when temperatures drop to 7 degrees centigrade or less and road is wet and cold. Wet amplifies sound, juddering and feedback in cabin.
This happens on U-Turns, right hand down, round a bouts - right turn and some high rise car parks, depending on coating on concrete floor.
Mercedes have not fixed this for GLC owners of 43, 63 or 350d series. Other series prior to 2019 were offered free knuckle change over, but ONLY if pushed, never a recall or Service Bulletin for owners.
Lots on UK Mercedes GLC site and Whirlpool Australian site (this more difficult to search).
Assume you have 21” tyres. Try inflating to 40psi. Make sure wheel alig and balance done, get print out copy of before and after settings, demand it free ($290 otherwise!!!!).
Most excessive wear occurs on front left tyre, outer edge that will scrub out before rest of tyre wears, increased pressure helps, but only just - tyre wear can be seen as fathering to edge tearing of compound. Right side tyre ususaaly better. Rear tyres are very good and will get double life of front.
Tyres on front must be same brand , tread pattern, etc as rears - DoNot Mix pattern or brands, will affect safety, car ECU, etc. Will contribute to front of rear acting differently.
Expect fronts to last 20k if lucky, rotate side to side only due to stagger rim size.
Continental were a choice several years ago, with owners reporting better success with Star * labelled markings on sidewall, NOT MO or MOE. Star fine tuned for BMW/Rolls Royce, but worked better on GLC.
Some success also with All Season type tyres, Goodyear had all season run flat that were much better, but your 21” rim size will be the issue.
Good luck - I suggest they have not been honest with you - Dealers describe this as a Characteristic ———.

Last edited by Teckno; 07-31-2021 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Spell
The following users liked this post:
Staggerlee (08-02-2021)
Old 02-01-2022, 08:25 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
na
What tyres do GLC63s come with in Australia? Pirelli? Specs sheet says Summer Tyres.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC 65s
Originally Posted by Teckno
Yes well known problem for RHD cars in Aust, UK, Sth Africa, NZ, Thailand etc.
Check your manual book, there will be a passage in it that tells you to change from summer tyres to winter tread when temperatures drop to 7 degrees centigrade or less and road is wet and cold. Wet amplifies sound, juddering and feedback in cabin.
This happens on U-Turns, right hand down, round a bouts - right turn and some high rise car parks, depending on coating on concrete floor.
Mercedes have not fixed this for GLC owners of 43, 63 or 350d series. Other series prior to 2019 were offered free knuckle change over, but ONLY if pushed, never a recall or Service Bulletin for owners.
Lots on UK Mercedes GLC site and Whirlpool Australian site (this more difficult to search).
Assume you have 21” tyres. Try inflating to 40psi. Make sure wheel alig and balance done, get print out copy of before and after settings, demand it free ($290 otherwise!!!!).
Most excessive wear occurs on front left tyre, outer edge that will scrub out before rest of tyre wears, increased pressure helps, but only just - tyre wear can be seen as fathering to edge tearing of compound. Right side tyre ususaaly better. Rear tyres are very good and will get double life of front.
Tyres on front must be same brand , tread pattern, etc as rears - DoNot Mix pattern or brands, will affect safety, car ECU, etc. Will contribute to front of rear acting differently.
Expect fronts to last 20k if lucky, rotate side to side only due to stagger rim size.
Continental were a choice several years ago, with owners reporting better success with Star * labelled markings on sidewall, NOT MO or MOE. Star fine tuned for BMW/Rolls Royce, but worked better on GLC.
Some success also with All Season type tyres, Goodyear had all season run flat that were much better, but your 21” rim size will be the issue.
Good luck - I suggest they have not been honest with you - Dealers describe this as a Characteristic ———.
Hi All,
I’ve had a GLC63 2018 for about 6 months. It has el cheapo Atturo AZ850 tyres presumably fitted by the dealer and have had no crabbing or shuddering problems.
The font brakes squeaked a bit. When the wear sensor came up I replaced them with Bremtec Euro-Line Ceramic+ Brake Pads from Supercheap. No squeaks and probably better performance than the originals. $500 for a full set. You can do it yourself, just find the electronic park brake release video on YouTube (You need to pull the silver start button off to access the manual key fob which they don’t show in the video).