GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Dashcams / current draw while parking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Mercedes GLC43
Dashcams / current draw while parking

Years ago I returned to a car (not a Mercedes) in a church car park to find someone had collided with my car while backing their car out of a spot - causing $1,200 of damage. There was no note. The deductible was $500 which we had to cover.

Consequently I'm sensitive to my new purchase and I'm considering a dashcam - but my primary concern is damage while parked (door dings etc).

Are there dashcams that can be safely used and draw current (or have a sufficiently long battery life) with motion detection for GLCs while parked?

Do they require wrapping long leads of wire around the windscreen edge?

I know that on an old BMW there are issues drawing current while parked.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GLC43
I don't have this particular dashcam, but is a popular one. There's 2 options at the bottom for Parking Mode

https://www.blackvue.com/dr650s-2ch/
Old 03-06-2017, 02:35 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
MB GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by rihallix
Years ago I returned to a car (not a Mercedes) in a church car park to find someone had collided with my car while backing their car out of a spot - causing $1,200 of damage. There was no note. The deductible was $500 which we had to cover.

Consequently I'm sensitive to my new purchase and I'm considering a dashcam - but my primary concern is damage while parked (door dings etc).

Are there dashcams that can be safely used and draw current (or have a sufficiently long battery life) with motion detection for GLCs while parked?

Do they require wrapping long leads of wire around the windscreen edge?

I know that on an old BMW there are issues drawing current while parked.

​​​I am considering installing 2 viofo a119s. One in the front and one in the rear. I have one in my other car and quite happy.

You can buy it with the hard wiring kit and get a professional electrician or audio expert to install it. You can even buy a power pack for it if you do not want to draw from the battery.

I found this site to be quite helpful

https://dashboardcamerareviews.com