GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Things I wish the dealer would have mentioned...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 160 Likes on 151 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Pushing the button is fine with me.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
SL500, GLC300
Originally Posted by dieseldoc
Pushing the button is fine with me.
same, don't like the special key idea. although i wish i didn't need to hold the button.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glc
Originally Posted by thescrod
The inability to use the hands free lift gate opener with the integrated trailer hitch was evident if you attempted to build a GLC online (in the US)...it would not allow you to select both packages. I like the concept of mating the keys, even if there are only 2, with the 1st 2 memory positions for automatic seat position changing...my 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee offered that. Hoping to have my GLC43 either tomorrow or Monday. I got P3 and opted for the advanced parking over the hitch (which I only wanted for a bike rack) and hope to seek out an aftermarket option that will work with the hands free access.
Hi there, did you end up finding an aftermarket solution for your bike rack? I'm in the same boat - looking at ordering a glc with the surround camera so doesn't sound like factory hitch will be an option. I'm find with a 1.25" receiver and no wiring, just want to use the bike rack...
Old 09-02-2017, 09:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Interesting that the car should be broken in using E mode. I always thought you should try to periodically keep the RPM's up around 3 or 4k for the first 1000 miles. That may be hard to do in E mode.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Mercedes GLK350 4Matic in White
Talking to be fair...

I just did a quick scan on the MB Canada site and saw that there are 39 distant models of car/suv's available. Add to that the new vans, commercial vehicles sold through existing dealerships we are easily over 45 different vehicles available. Now add last year vs to be launched models, in which everything is changes once again in terms of operations of the vehicle an we are over 65 variations. Scatter in the million of individual options that alter the way a car is operated depending on package/options installed...we have a right old mess for any salesperson to memorize. My salesperson does his very best to educate new buyers and repeat clients on the features for each model, but even this is in constant flux internally with MB Germany. When I requested a trailer hitch and the kick open feature, it too was an either but not both option. Claims of clients kicking the hitch by accident and hurting themselves was the reason given. So not to disagree with the main comment, but I am not sure if I could. remember each stalk twist action, or volume setting per input device or car seat memory control per model, per brand. I think the salespeople who have been with MB a long time may find their heads spinning with new releases each season and the massive tech changes that come with each model. Cheers
Old 09-06-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 GLC Coupe
I discovered an "easter egg" yesterday while trying to open the trunk on my coupe - you can open all windows and sunroof if you push unlock on the fob once, and the second time you press and hold the unlock button.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
W203 C350; Lexus GS450h; GLC250 AMG Line
Originally Posted by zhenyaf
I discovered an "easter egg" yesterday while trying to open the trunk on my coupe - you can open all windows and sunroof if you push unlock on the fob once, and the second time you press and hold the unlock button.

That's to allow the trapped heat to ventilate and cool down the interior if your car had been parked under hot direct sunlight for a while.

Similar will be the "tunnel/rain function", press and hold the internal circulation tab and all ur windows and sunroof will all close up simultaneously.

I think if you are outside of your car, the remote lock button should do the same to close all the opened windows/sunroof. Just not sure if it is press 2 times and 2nd press to hold.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 GLC Coupe
Originally Posted by vratenza
That's to allow the trapped heat to ventilate and cool down the interior if your car had been parked under hot direct sunlight for a while.

Similar will be the "tunnel/rain function", press and hold the internal circulation tab and all ur windows and sunroof will all close up simultaneously.

I think if you are outside of your car, the remote lock button should do the same to close all the opened windows/sunroof. Just not sure if it is press 2 times and 2nd press to hold.
circulation button does not close the windows in my car
Old 09-06-2017, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450

Just press and hold on mine, don't have to press twice.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
Originally Posted by Philamg
Just press and hold on mine, don't have to press twice.
Either you drive around with the sunroof blind open, or yours is different to mine. On our GLC, I have to press and hold the open button once for 7-8 secs to get the blind to open, and only once it's fully open then press and hold a second time to get the windows and roof to open. It's a long and convoluted procedure. On our B200 (and my old Honda Accord Euro), it operates as you describe - just one press and hold. This is much more sensible and I can't for the life of me see why the GLC needs a two button press. If you're trying to do this as you walk to the car, it's faster to open the car yourself and then open the windows and roof.

Are people telling me that other countries have only a one button press? You'd think that we're in need this feature in this hot country more than most of the rest of you, esp those in the UK.

This feature is something that my salesman did tell me, although not at handover. He and I spent some time understanding its quirks and establishing that it works differently to the B class. He was going to lodge a change request, but that would be 18 months ago, and unfortunately he has since left MB.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by bips
Either you drive around with the sunroof blind open, or yours is different to mine. On our GLC, I have to press and hold the open button once for 7-8 secs to get the blind to open, and only once it's fully open then press and hold a second time to get the windows and roof to open. It's a long and convoluted procedure. On our B200 (and my old Honda Accord Euro), it operates as you describe - just one press and hold. This is much more sensible and I can't for the life of me see why the GLC needs a two button press. If you're trying to do this as you walk to the car, it's faster to open the car yourself and then open the windows and roof.

Are people telling me that other countries have only a one button press? You'd think that we're in need this feature in this hot country more than most of the rest of you, esp those in the UK.

This feature is something that my salesman did tell me, although not at handover. He and I spent some time understanding its quirks and establishing that it works differently to the B class. He was going to lodge a change request, but that would be 18 months ago, and unfortunately he has since left MB.
You are right Bips, always have the blind open as we need to get as much light into the car as possible in the UK, will close blind later and press button to see what happens.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by Philamg
You are right Bips, always have the blind open as we need to get as much light into the car as possible in the UK, will close blind later and press button to see what happens.
Will not be able to test for a week as have roof box fitted for holiday next week and can't open roof with it on.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic

Ok, bips, I'm here in the US and two pushes are required here to open both the Pano shade and then the windows. Same is required to close everything with the lock button, in reverse. First push and hold closes windows and Pano. Second push and hold closes the shade.

While I understand your frustration that others do it more simply, I would disagree it is easier to open your car, lower all the windows and then open the Pano. That seems more convoluted that pressing the same button twice as you approach your car.

Just my two cents.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
Interesting that the car should be broken in using E mode. I always thought you should try to periodically keep the RPM's up around 3 or 4k for the first 1000 miles. That may be hard to do in E mode.
You are correct, Pete, that the Owners Manual does say to drive varying speeds in the first 1000 miles. However, it does not say driving in E mode is REQUIRED for the first 1000 miles. It says IDEALLY, which I agree, is a strong recommendation.

But of note in the break in instructions, it says "when changing gears manually, change up in good time", which infers you may NOT be driving in E mode all the time during break in.

I drove in Comfort the entire first 1000 miles (which was killing me!) and actually did drive varying engine speeds due to a couple of short road trips. I never pushed my RPM's and I feel my break in miles were satisfactory.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300 4Matic, Sport+Night

My GLC (USA) doesn't seem to do that. Do other's work? I know the C-class does this -- close windows / sunroof when you hold down the air-circulation button.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:44 PM

GLC 250D
Originally Posted by Vaboy
While I understand your frustration that others do it more simply, I would disagree it is easier to open your car, lower all the windows and then open the Pano. That seems more convoluted that pressing the same button twice as you approach your car.
I admit that there was an element of hyperbole in that comment of mine, but there is also some truth. You can't start the second button press until the blind is fully open, and at a distance walking towards the car that's not easy to see. You have to count 7 or 8 seconds plus a bit to ensure that it is fully open, or the second press, the one that you really want, won't work. If you try this in a real world situation, the amount of time it takes to fully open everything is crazy and as a result I rarely bother to use this feature, whereas I did/ do in other vehicles.

If you leave the blind open, as Phil does, then it's a whole lot simpler, but in situations where you're wanting to open the windows and roof to cool the car down, leaving the blind open seems an odd thing to do. Australia is the land of skin cancer, and as someone with first-hand experience of that I only open the blind when the sun is low (and would much prefer a blockout blind), so the two-button press is definitely an unnecessary inconvenience.

p.s. This must sound like I'm obsessing about a minor feature, but why would you design it like this? What's the reason? Given the issues with the roof and roof racks I could understand if they designed it so that the first press opened the blind and windows and the second press opened the roof. However given that that issue doesn't seem to have stopped our B200 getting a one-button press opening routine, what reason could they possibly have had for this GLC bug, I mean feature?

Last edited by bips; 09-07-2017 at 08:10 PM. Reason: p.s.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:53 PM

I admit that there was an element of hyperbole in that comment of mine, but there is also some truth. You can't start the second button press until the blind is fully open, and at a distance walking towards the car that's not easy to see. You have to count 7 or 8 seconds plus a bit to ensure that it is fully open, or the second press, the one that you really want, won't work. If you try this in a real world situation, the amount of time it takes to fully open everything is crazy and as a result I rarely bother to use this feature, whereas I did/ do in other vehicles.

If you leave the blind open, as Phil does, then it's a whole lot simpler, but in situations where you're wanting to open the windows and roof to cool the car down, leaving the blind open seems an odd thing to do. Australia is the land of skin cancer, and as someone with first-hand experience of that I only open the blind when the sun is low (and would much prefer a blockout blind), so the two-button press is definitely an unnecessary inconvenience.

p.s. This must sound like I'm obsessing about a minor feature, but why would you design it like this? What's the reason? Given the issues with the roof and roof racks I could understand if they designed it so that the first press opened the blind and windows and the second press opened the roof. However given that that issue doesn't seem to have stopped our B200 getting a one-button press opening routine, what reason could they possibly have had for this GLC bug, I mean feature?
I agree with everything you said, bips. Watching the shade open in my garage and then pressing again to lower the windows is not really a real world situation. It would be quite different, as you say, when walking towards your car in a parking lot. It would be more useful if one press opened everything. I'm sure someone on this forum will shed some light (pun intended) on this feature.

While much more trouble, I'll probably use remote start to cool or heat my car for a few minutes (and I used to drive a Prius!) if it's really hot or really cold. I've never had that ability before, so it's a real novelty to me!

But if I want to save gas rather than feel guilty using remote start, I'll probably just press the unlock button, count to seven or eight and then lower the windows when I get to my car.

Nope, I don't think you're obsessing about this feature at all...you're just being thoughtful. Of course I'm a little OCD myself!
Old 09-08-2017, 02:32 AM

GLC 250D
While much more trouble, I'll probably use remote start to cool or heat my car for a few minutes (and I used to drive a Prius!) if it's really hot or really cold. I've never had that ability before, so it's a real novelty to me!
Eh? Which feature is this? Which option pack does this come with? This is something the dealer did not mention to me. I don't think I have it and I suspect it's not available here. Can other Aussies please confirm?
Old 09-08-2017, 06:38 AM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Eh? Which feature is this? Which option pack does this come with? This is something the dealer did not mention to me. I don't think I have it and I suspect it's not available here. Can other Aussies please confirm?
Part of the MercedsMe app that you can download to your phone. in the US it come standard on all GLC with a free trial period, after that there is an annual fee
Old 09-08-2017, 10:50 AM

This is crazy. A Mercedes me STORE is opening in Melbourne, but the app itself is not even available in Australia yet.
Attached Thumbnails Things I wish the dealer would have mentioned...-img_0150.png  

Last edited by Vaboy; 09-08-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:03 AM

So Bosnia has the Mercedes me app but Australia doesn't?! Wow!

Funny, the US isn't mentioned but we have it. I'd just keep checking if I was in Australia.
Attached Thumbnails Things I wish the dealer would have mentioned...-img_0152.png  

Last edited by Vaboy; 09-08-2017 at 11:07 AM. Reason: US is not mentioned!
Old 09-09-2017, 07:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
20 GLE on order, 17 GLC 300 4M, Ducati 1299R
Mbrace

They could have mentioned it would help to have very low expectations of M-Brace (in the US anyway). Would be great if the remote start worked more than occasionally.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:44 PM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by edofloat
They could have mentioned it would help to have very low expectations of M-Brace (in the US anyway). Would be great if the remote start worked more than occasionally.
I have to say mine works more often than
Than not. But if course it's annoying is not 100%. And when it doesn't work it's really bad because there is no backup method
But even when it works it's usually slow and you have stare at the phone for what seems like forever to ensure it happened

Given how poorly it works it should be free forever. I wonder if it will get better over time
Old 09-09-2017, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by edofloat
Remote Start - worth noting, it won't work if it calculates you have less than 5 gals. of gas in the tank. Not a biggie, but if you REALLY need to use it, be sure to top your tank off.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
20 GLE on order, 17 GLC 300 4M, Ducati 1299R
Remote Start - worth noting, it won't work if it calculates you have less than 5 gals. of gas in the tank. Not a biggie, but if you REALLY need to use it, be sure to top your tank off.
Mine doesn't seem to work regardless of fuel level.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Things I wish the dealer would have mentioned...