GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Command vs Google maps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Focus Electric
Command vs Google maps

With MY2018 not being able to have android auto AND command at the same time, anyone has any thoughts on navigation between those two? Also, how much are we giving up if we go with phone integration and are stuck with the smaller screen?
Old 04-12-2017, 07:16 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Command navigation is just okay.
Google map navigation is waaaay better IMHO.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Honda Pilot
You're also assuming the android auto and apple play will work as smooth as Command. It's really slow in our brand new Honda Pilot, to where we use the preinstalled Garmin navigation instead. I would wait until they FY18 are in the showrooms so you can test it out with your phone.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:17 PM

Ford Focus Electric
Originally Posted by koojo
You're also assuming the android auto and apple play will work as smooth as Command. It's really slow in our brand new Honda Pilot, to where we use the preinstalled Garmin navigation instead. I would wait until they FY18 are in the showrooms so you can test it out with your phone.
Maybe testing it on one of the GLAs? Should be same system right?
Old 04-13-2017, 01:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
X3
I like the command navigation, it is very user friendly.

When driving on highway, it lists the names of the next few exits (including rest areas, toll booths) and their distance on screen. I find this to be helpful when I am low on fuel or need to get something to eat. Another plus is I also get to know the names of the towns and exits on my route.

In command navigation, each place that have turn instruction is highlighted as a bright dot on the map. You'll know where and how many places you need to turn by looking at the map. Google map has next turn info on top left corner but you only see the info for one turn.

The command navigation switches to split screen when you are about to make turns. The left screen shows your route and the right screen zooms in to show the intersection and your car location. It is less easy to make mistakes. Google map also zoom in but its intersection display is not as clear as the command navigation on complex intersections.

Google map has real time traffic. It is better at finding the best route and is more accurate on arrival time. It also gives you more alternative routes than command navigation.

The command navigation has fewer alternative routes. It has a "Dynamic route" option that uses SiriusXM® real time Traffic, but I found that it often re-route me to local unnecessarily so I sometimes have it disabled depending on if I want to stay on original route.

I use both. Both command navigation and google map have their own strengths.

I use google map if the the command navigation does not give me the route I want to take or if I need the most accurate arrival time. At all other times, the command navigation can do the job as good as google map.

I have not used Android auto or apple CarPlay before so I won't miss it. I would suggest you to get command navigation. You will love the big screen and also some of the features in command navigation. You can always use google map on your phone if you need to. There is no need to use android auto unless you also want to run other apps.

Last edited by theinv; 04-13-2017 at 01:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by theinv:
FrogmanX253 (04-13-2017), ted_jane (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 02:04 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
I used to love Waze (Google owned and way better than Google Maps due to it crowdsourced traffic and corrected maps). However on the GLC my phone remains out of sight.

Command Online is no longer using radio data signals to get traffic information, nope it is now also using instant and uptodafe internet sources.

And then are the automatic maps updates, the maps are really uptodate. There are a few new roads near where I live and they are already on there.

Combine that with the dedicated big screen, remote screen in instrument cluster. And full integration with music, voice control etc. And the ability with mobile me to receive any address or route from your phone.

Nope sorry i do not get why anyone would prefer to use their phone instead of the integrated system. To me I can't think of a single point where google maps is way better.
The following users liked this post:
VET11B (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 06:37 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
GLC 43, MITSUBISHI PHEV, BMW Z1
Just back from a long trip across Europe and very impressed with the accuracy of the traffic info - on German autobahns it was quite spooky and showed hold-ups accurate to within 100m.
My only criticism is that it isn't great in London and prone to constant recalculation (where often the best option is simply to press on) but I have yet to find any system that works well in close urban environments.
I was using waze but have given up.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:17 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
A few things I don't like about command navigation:
  1. maps are not up to date. Even though I have a MY2017, Some of the roads are not listeded, I know some of the street been there already for 1-2 years and it's not listed. When I am on a long road trip, I want to stick to certain major gas brand and when I got to the gas station according to the command navigation and it was a no-name brand gas station. By the look at that place, it must be a few years at that location already.
  2. A few times, the command navigation would take me through a small town and/or local roads instead of stay on main highway. Which resulted a longer time to travel, even though it might saved a few kilometres.
  3. Maps updates are expensive and still not up to date, even after it has been updated with the latest version.
Regardless of these faults, I still think it's an okay system.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Originally Posted by ble2716
  1. maps are not up to date. Even though I have a MY2017, Some of the roads are not listeded, I know some of the street been there already for 1-2 years and it's not listed. When I am on a long road trip, I want to stick to certain major gas brand and when I got to the gas station according to the command navigation and it was a no-name brand gas station. By the look at that place, it must be a few years at that location already.
  2. A few times, the command navigation would take me through a small town and/or local roads instead of stay on main highway. Which resulted a longer time to travel, even though it might saved a few kilometres.
  3. Maps updates are expensive and still not up to date, even after it has been updated with the latest version.
#2 I agree. Happens to me many times. Always wants me to exit freeway to take streets when I still have an hour to go on the freeway and that's with no traffic.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:28 PM

Ford Focus Electric
thanks everyone. It is a tough decision. Google maps on android auto gets great reviews on the tech sites. We shall see.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Honda Pilot
What if you did the Garmin update on the Command system? Garmin maps are great
Old 04-15-2017, 03:59 AM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by ble2716
Reads like there are big regional variations. Map updates are free in the U.K. Part of command online and mobile me. Also are very uptodate in my experience.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:18 AM

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
2016 GLC300
In our MY 16, we almost always use our iPhone map, which is much better at finding addresses than COMAND (I thought MB spelled it with one M?).

I would pay to have the option of adding Apple CarPlay!
Old 04-16-2017, 11:28 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 370Z Nismo, 2018 GLC43 (on order)
Originally Posted by Jetfuture

Smartphone integration will probably be ~$350 where as the Multimedia Package and its larger screen will probably be at or north of $1,000. So, you wouldn't be paying for CarPlay, you'd be saving.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Got the multimedia command. Wife still uses her phone. She states it is easier to use.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:04 PM

right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Jetfuture
In our MY 16, we almost always use our iPhone map, which is much better at finding addresses than COMAND (I thought MB spelled it with one M?).

I find it easier to user linguatronic then using my phone. Works fantastic. But if you find it easier to look up an address on your phone then why not use Mercedes Me to send it to the car?
Old 04-16-2017, 05:25 PM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
2020 GLS450, 2022 SL55 AMG, 2022 C300
I assume that you have Android phone... since you asked for Google maps, because Apple car play doesn't use google maps. I personally prefer to use Android Auto in my GLS, and I have both Android Auto and Command Navigation.

Android Auto is much easier and smarter. All you need to say is: "Ok Google"... without touching anything... and then I can ask any stupid question and Google knows the answer most of the time...