GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Do you use premium gas in your glc?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
Originally Posted by Flubadub
You are correct. Fuel sellers "imply" that higher octane is better, but in reality only in terms of antiknock properties. The fuel additive packages are otherwise the same for the different rated fuels. Most folks don't know that the mid grade fuel is actually a blend of regular and premium done at the pump. There is no 3rd storage tank. You are blowing money using a higher octane than needed. You can use lower octane fuel and the antiknock sensors in the engine will retard timing so that no damage is done. You will get lower performance and mileage as a result.
Flubadub hit the nail on the head. As I stated before, car manufacturers don't make a dime by you using premium. They are telling you what the engine needs based on compression and tuning. You more than likely aren't saving anything by using lower octane since your mpg and performance will suffer. There is also the posibility of engine damage if the knock sensors can't compensate enough. Detonation will damage an engine.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes GLC250
As I understand, premium fuel may have 2 advantages.

The first is more performance. In the Netherlands and Germany, premium fuel have additives to keep the motor more clean, and do not increase the RON of the petrol. An investigation of ADAC shows that the effect is negligible: https://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tank...cePageId=49341 (in German)

The second is to keep your motor clean. A Dutch consumer program did some investigation, and motor revision experts say the can't detect any difference of any significance with the cars that they maintain:
(in Dutch)

In the second episode, a petrol station employee says that the basic component of the premium fuel is exactly the same petrol, and after delivering an additive substance (1 liter on 10.000 liter) is added. That's about 20-25cl on an average tank of 50 to 65 liter (it can be very concentrated of course). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgC8...=536.863439778

All 'n' all it looks more like a marketing gimmick to sell the same product for more money, and in controlled laboratory conditions measurable effects might be seen. A nice observation in the above documentary is that the premium fuel is said to deliver more performance as well as cleaner engines, but THE way to pollute your engine more is to push more power out of it. If you want to keep your engine clean, your driving habits are more important.

If premium means a higher octane level (e.g. from 95 to 98), the performance increase can be measured, just like 95 to 91 gives less performance.

The are countries where very low quality fuel is being sold, and in such a case it is important to buy "premium" fuel (i.e. at respected companies with a trustable source of petrol).
Old 07-18-2017, 09:52 AM

GLC 300
93 - no; 91 -yes

Originally Posted by mikbar2
I haven't seen 93 octane in years where we are in the Riverside area.
You were right! I finally had to stop for gas this morning and I checked... it's 91 octane. Thanks for keeping me sane. I hate dispersing wrong information.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
Originally Posted by hifivoice
If premium means a higher octane level (e.g. from 95 to 98), the performance increase can be measured, just like 95 to 91 gives less performance.
I haven't watched that video, as I gather that it's in Dutch, but what you say mostly contradicts what I found when I researched the issue. If you use lower octane fuel than recommended, then you would get worse performance and economy, as the vehicle knock-detection systems would retard the timing to prevent detonation. But everything I read suggested that there were no performance, economy or engine cleanliness benefits to using higher than recommended octane. If someone has hard evidence (not just a a talking head) that there are, I'd be keen to read it. I do agree that the claim that using higher octane fuel than recommended appears to be just marketing.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:24 AM

Mercedes GLC250
Originally Posted by bips
But everything I read suggested that there were no performance, economy or engine cleanliness benefits to using higher than recommended octane.
True, it depends on the motor, not sure if the M274 would benefit from it. E.g. octane 100 seems to exist, but most motors cannot take the benefit out of it.

I found another (Dutch) movie, where it is obvious that the big petrol companies (Shell, BP, Total) get their fuel from exactly the same point, i.e. the basic petrol is not different:

The journalists were fined by the police because they were filming the topic.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
It's really interesting to see how the definition of "premium" varies across the globe.

In the US, the difference between regular, mid and premium is only in the octane level. Mercedes specifies 91 octane in the US, and in the US that's premium. If you run lower octane, you will likely give up a little performance and you MAY have problems with knock if the engine management system can't adjust for it. Knock can cause long-term damage.

In the US, EPA requires that all gasoline must contain a specified minimum level of additives (mostly detergents). In the US, there is no difference in the required additives between regular and premium. This minimum level isn't enough to keep most engines gunk-free. The major auto manufacturers (including Mercedes) established a higher standard, called "Top Tier" gasoline, to help protect the performance and emissions of their engines. Look for the "Top Tier" label on pumps to see if you are getting the additional detergent additives. Check the list of licensed retailers at www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands
Old 07-26-2017, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by hifivoice
I found another (Dutch) movie, where it is obvious that the big petrol companies (Shell, BP, Total) get their fuel from exactly the same point, i.e. the basic petrol is not different:
This is true in the US and Canada too. All the refineries make each grade of gasoline to meet a specific standard. It all gets fed to common pipelines and pumped into common tanks at distribution centers across the country. Fuel delivery trucks from all the retailers fill up from the same tanks. What's different is the content and concentration of the additive package that gets fed into the trucks as they load. Each of the major retailers has a different additive treatment.