GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Speed limit assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 10:07 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
BMW X3, Mercedes GLC300 (EDP)
Speed limit assist

On another thread I asked if anyone knew how the current speed limit was detected and displayed on the Navigation Map. There was some questions whether the speed limit information come from a data base or was the system using some type of speed limit sign recognition? Turns out according to this video it may be using a combination of both:

This video is for the GLA and is a couple of years old, but the video demo is similar (but not exactly) to how the display of the speed limit functioned on my GLC 300 during my ED trip. I did not display the speed limit on the dash display, mainly because I did not know that was an option. But the speed limit was displayed on the Nav screen, matching the current limit on any signs that were passed.

My next question is, this video is for European Navigation, does anyone know if the speed limit assist functions the same for US Nav and is it as accurate?
Old 07-11-2017, 11:01 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by ted_jane
On another thread I asked if anyone knew how the current speed limit was detected and displayed on the Navigation Map. There was some questions whether the speed limit information come from a data base or was the system using some type of speed limit sign recognition? Turns out according to this video it may be using a combination of both:

GLA Speed Limit Assist

This video is for the GLA and is a couple of years old, but the video demo is similar (but not exactly) to how the display of the speed limit functioned on my GLC 300 during my ED trip. I did not display the speed limit on the dash display, mainly because I did not know that was an option. But the speed limit was displayed on the Nav screen, matching the current limit on any signs that were passed.

My next question is, this video is for European Navigation, does anyone know if the speed limit assist functions the same for US Nav and is it as accurate?
I have found it to be fairly accurate overall
Old 07-12-2017, 02:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
GLC43
The speed limit information is kept in the navigation file. I ordered the driver assistance package for my
MY18 GLC43 and it wouldn't accept it until I added the multimedia package which has the navigation package containing the speed limits. If you've ever had a Garmin or Tomtom you would also see the speed limit displayed on it.
So it's as good as your last map update and if a changed speed limit has been added to the data base.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by glassbloke
The speed limit information is kept in the navigation file. I ordered the driver assistance package for my
MY18 GLC43 and it wouldn't accept it until I added the multimedia package which has the navigation package containing the speed limits. If you've ever had a Garmin or Tomtom you would also see the speed limit displayed on it.
So it's as good as your last map update and if a changed speed limit has been added to the data base.
After posting I searched the manual for Speed Limit Assist, but did not find it. I did find something called Traffic Sign Assist, which gets the speed limit from the nav data as your post states. From the manual (page 194):
Traffic Sign Assist displays the maximum speed permitted to the driver in the instrument cluster. The data and general traffic regulations stored in the navigation system are used to determine the current speed limit.
Traffic Sign Assist is a map-based system, and for this reason, traffic signs put up temporarily (e.g. near roadworks) are not detected. There is also no display for changing traffic signs.

So unlike the Speed Limit Assist described in the video and used by European Navigation software, Traffic Sign Assist does not use the camera to recognize speed limit signs and adjust the display accordingly. This is disappointing because I really liked the real time speed limit adjustment (even for roadwork zones) during my ED trip.

I especially liked it when the display changed to the unlimited speed limit sign (i.e. the circle with the diagonal lines, as shown in the video).

I wonder if speed limit assist will be added to the North American navigation software in some future update?

Last edited by ted_jane; 07-12-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:36 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 MB C300 4Matic (me); 2021 BMW 530i xDrive (husband)
I was disappointed to learn that the speed limit assist is just based off geo-tagging or files in the nav system, and pretty much figured that out when some speed limits on local highways were increased but my speed limit assist did not recognise it (and still don't). Eager to get my nav system updated.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:35 PM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by GSOTXL
I was disappointed to learn that the speed limit assist is just based off geo-tagging or files in the nav system, and pretty much figured that out when some speed limits on local highways were increased but my speed limit assist did not recognise it (and still don't). Eager to get my nav system updated.
Not to highjack this thread, but does anyone know if you are just taking delivery of your GLC, will the NAV system have the newest version or should you compare yours to what the dealer shows as the current version?

Just wondering since GSO mentioned it.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Vaboy
Not to highjack this thread, but does anyone know if you are just taking delivery of your GLC, will the NAV system have the newest version or should you compare yours to what the dealer shows as the current version?

Just wondering since GSO mentioned it.
I am not sure how cars ordered in the US and first delivered here are handled, but for EDP cars, the North American software/maps are loaded at the port of entry by the VPC. I hope the VPC loads the latest version, but I don't know for sure.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:06 PM

I am not sure how cars ordered in the US and first delivered here are handled, but for EDP cars, the North American software/maps are loaded at the port of entry by the VPC. I hope the VPC loads the latest version, but I don't know for sure.
Interesting about the EDP cars getting updated at the US VPC. Sounds like maybe they install a European version when those are built and then update it to the US version.

I hope that's true of inbound US cars as well. It would only make sense that the newest version be installed on all cars at the VPC.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Vaboy
Interesting about the EDP cars getting updated at the US VPC. Sounds like maybe they install a European version when those are built and then update it to the US version.

I hope that's true of inbound US cars as well. It would only make sense that the newest version be installed on all cars at the VPC.
The European Navigation software and maps are installed for EDP cars so navigation can be used while traveling in Europe. That is how I am familiar with the Speed Limit Assist capabilities, such as the speed limit sign recognition available in Europe and why I am disappoint that capability is not supported by the North American Navigation software.

When an EDP car arrives at port in the US, the European software/maps must be replaced with North American software/maps.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:35 PM

Possible good news for MY18 GLC owners. I was looking through the GLC MY18 DOG, when I saw this line under the Premium Driver Assist Package:

- 513 Speed Limit Assist

I went back to the last DOG I have for MY17 (dated 11/7/16) to see if code 513 was there, it is not there.

So MY18 GLC owners get the full Speed Limit Assist with speed limit sign recognition as shown in the video at the top of this thread?

May be a MY18 year owner on this forum will be nice enough to test this out when they receive their car, hopefully within the next few days?
Old 07-14-2017, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC Coupe (on order)
Possible good news for MY18 GLC owners. I was looking through the GLC MY18 DOG, when I saw this line under the Premium Driver Assist Package:

- 513 Speed Limit Assist

I went back to the last DOG I have for MY17 (dated 11/7/16) to see if code 513 was there, it is not there.

So MY18 GLC owners get the full Speed Limit Assist with speed limit sign recognition as shown in the video at the top of this thread?

May be a MY18 year owner on this forum will be nice enough to test this out when they receive their car, hopefully within the next few days?
Mine's coming on or around 8/15, will be happy to report back once it arrives.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:31 PM

- 513 Speed Limit Assist

In 2017, Speed Limit Assist is shown as part of the P3 package. The mbusa website specifically says the info is from the nav database. not sure why Europe would be different than US.

Last edited by ajmtbm; 07-14-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
In 2017, Speed Limit Assist is shown as part of the P3 package. The mbusa website specifically says the info is from the nav database. not sure why Europe would be different than US.
It was part of the drivers assist package in 2016. Cars had to have Command/multimedia package. Info comes from the command database.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:12 PM

i found some information online published by Daimler that the system is designed to scan for round signs - like the speed limit signs in Europe. It noted that if it sees a square sign it scans the database for the info instead. so, basically, the system was designed for use in Europe. The info was from 2013
The following 2 users liked this post by ajmtbm:
dieseldoc (07-15-2017), ted_jane (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 11:26 PM

Agree with ajmbm. For MY17, SLA is coded 513 and is part of the P3 package.

This is the wording he made reference to:

"Using information from the navigation system's database, Speed Limit Assist can display the published speed limit in the instrument cluster display or in the available Head-Up Display. This innovative system makes it easier to keep tabs on your driving speed, especially in reduced speed zones. Even if you pass a sign without noticing it, the persisting display help keep you aware of published speed limits."

I think the most important wording is at the end (published speed limits) and certainly implies speed limit signs are not read actively but come from a database. Man, I thought they were actively read. Missed the fine print!

Tedjane, since you said it displayed on your Nav screen, it sounds like without the 513 SLA part which displays in the HUD or the instrument cluster, by default it displays on the Nav screen (which is what you experienced in Europe) since that's the source of the info.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:30 PM

i found some information online published by Daimler that the system is designed to scan for round signs - like the speed limit signs in Europe. It noted that if it sees a square sign it scans the database for the info instead. so, basically, the system was designed for use in Europe. The info was from 2013
So Speed Limit Assist software can "read" the speed limit posted on round European speed limit signs, but not square North American signs?

If that is the case I vote to change our speed limit signs to round signs.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:47 PM

+1

I thought you had said while cruising around Europe you were impressed with the accuracy of the speed limit displayed. Now we know why!

Last edited by Vaboy; 07-14-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E450 Coupe
Just got my brand new E450 Coupe yesterday and I find it pretty ridiculous that my Nissan Maxima had the changing speed limits on full display but my 2020 Mercedes does not! And yes I did the research and read that it comes in the Drivers Assistant Package!!! Why not standard?!!! This is very disappointing!