GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Anyone drive the new SQ5?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW M235xi
Anyone drive the new SQ5?

While Netstar plays its impression of Shroedinger's Cat (can designo White interior get heated steering, or can it not?) I started looking at other competitors. One thing that drew me to the GLC was the air suspension option. I want a ride that is compliant, but controlled. It should absorb bumps but not rock all over doing it. I have not been able to test drive this because apparently air ride on the normal GLC300 is pretty rare. So I figured I'd check out Audi which offers air on the SQ5. I know the GLC43 is the correct competitor, but given the cost differential, the SQ5 is only a little more ($60k) than the GLC I had built ($54-56k)

I must say I was extremely impressed with the ride. It just sucked up bumps and dips, but not just because it was soft, where a lot of secondary body motions sway about. In the SQ5 it just absorbed the impact and than settled immediately. One and done.

IF anyone out there has a GLC300 with air ride, test drive a SQ5 with air ride option and let my know what you think.

Last edited by augerpro; 09-23-2017 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:49 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Can you test drive the GLC43?
like you said, it's more direct comparison to the SQ5.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW M235xi
Well, I'm not going to buy a GLC43, and since I assume it rides differently than the GLC300 even if both have air suspension?
Old 09-24-2017, 10:36 AM

Very very slow
I understand that you do not want GLC43 for good reasons, but you could try it to see if you like the ride with ABC settings.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi SQ5
Currently an owner of a 2014 SQ5, with a lot of problems including brakes, suspension and variety of quality issues, rattles, etc. During my recent warranty trip to Audi Service, I checked out the new Q5 on display there and came out unimpressed. While the design is attractive and electronics innovative, driver's side door had to be slammed in order to close (pass side was fine), and inside, the dashboard elements did not align properly. Not sure if “Made in Mexico” has anything to do with it, but it just didn’t feel like a quality, premium product worth over $50k. That said, I’m looking to a new car and the only thing holding me from pulling the trigger on the GLC right now is its questionable Android Auto integration, available only with the huge bezel, small screen. Hopefully next year...
Old 09-24-2017, 08:22 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
Originally Posted by augerpro
Well, I'm not going to buy a GLC43, and since I assume it rides differently than the GLC300 even if both have air suspension?
That's what I found. As per one or two other posts of mine, I test drove a regular GLC with air and also the GLC 43 with air. Not one after the other, and not for an extended period, so these are only impressions. The 43 air had excellent ride quality and control. The regular air was only fair. Of course the tyres were also different - 21" non-RFT on the 43 vs 20" RFT on the regular. If it were me spending that amount of money, I'd go to some lengths to organise an extended test drive of the regular air before I committed.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC300
Hello... first post

I've had my GLC300 for a couple weeks. During the process of shopping for a vehicle I test drove the SQ5, the F-Pace, the GLC43, and the GLC300. I had a brief moment of sanity and decided to not spend the additional $25k and went with the GLC300... that being said my observations:

The GLC43 is a performance car wrapped into an SUV. The SQ-5 is an SUV with some performance car modifications... at least that was my impression. My test drive with the GLC43 took me over a very twisty road with straightaways interspersed... and holy dog was it a fun drive. The SQ5 on the same road was 'very good' but I would not call it 'fun'. The F-Pace was more SUV-ish than both but the interior was from 2004 and took it out of the running almost immediately.

My 2 cents...

gh
The following users liked this post:
bips (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 02:47 PM

Very very slow
Originally Posted by gholland
Hello... first post

I've had my GLC300 for a couple weeks. During the process of shopping for a vehicle I test drove the SQ5, the F-Pace, the GLC43, and the GLC300. I had a brief moment of sanity and decided to not spend the additional $25k and went with the GLC300.

gh

Good call.