GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Eco start stop not workinh

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B class deisel
Eco start stop not workinh

This was working in our new diesel B class when we bought it. It stopped working completely some months again. Took it in for a warranty check and was told that as their was no error report in the computer - there was no problem. I was also told that Mercedes had issued a technical bullletin saying that If this may happen as a result that of running low on fuel. The solution apparently is to fill it then drive for 20 kilometers or miles (not sure) without stopping. We will see
Old 09-24-2017, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Did filling and driving solve it?

There are many conditions that can prevent an eco stop/start shutdown. One of them is fuel level, but I don't know at what threshold. You can go into the front SAM and watch the entire list, and get a pretty good idea of why it won't stop if it's not.

I find most people think too much of the feature, and if you are using the a/c it barely intervenes. Shut down the a/c and drive lightly, it should kick in readily.

Me personally, I hate how rough it is, the added wear and tear for me is completely not worth the slight fuel savings, but when it cost the company millions for 1 less MPG, they gotta do whatever it takes.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC300, C 300
I believe battery charge level plays into the operation - my observation is after I have had the GLC sitting on a battery conditioner/charger, the auto start/stop kicks in a lot sooner after a cold start up.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by dmegeath
I believe battery charge level plays into the operation - my observation is after I have had the GLC sitting on a battery conditioner/charger, the auto start/stop kicks in a lot sooner after a cold start up.
Plays a large part. If the vehicle is being driven in such a way that the battery can't build up excess charge, it won't shut down nearly as often and risk running the battery down too low.