GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Any Quality difference between plants?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC 43 4Matic
Any Quality difference between plants?

I just found out through the VIN # that my GLC 43 is coming from Finland. Has there been any discussion of differences in quality or workmanship from this plant or the one in Germany?

Last edited by DaDriver; 09-23-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:10 PM

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
GLC
Haven't heard anything either way yet. They (Valmet) have only been making the GLC for seven months. A great many of the parts however are shipped in (e.g. the headlights are from Austria, the wood from Ukraine, the engine from Germany etc.)
Old 09-23-2017, 09:49 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
i have a GLC300 made in Finland. had an issue with the center storage door that was foxed,w as told they forgot to put 2 screws in at the factory.

i have a rattle coming from the right hand side that i have not yet taken to the dealer, cant really tell where its coming from, and not sure if this is normal; i would have expected a benz is rattle free

So not sure if its finland or, like other cars, there's a chance of a rattle from any factory its made
Old 09-23-2017, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC 43 4Matic
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
i have a GLC300 made in Finland. had an issue with the center storage door that was foxed,w as told they forgot to put 2 screws in at the factory.

i have a rattle coming from the right hand side that i have not yet taken to the dealer, cant really tell where its coming from, and not sure if this is normal; i would have expected a benz is rattle free

So not sure if its finland or, like other cars, there's a chance of a rattle from any factory its made
As our fellow M/B GLC owners start receiving their delayed deliveries, we hope to have a clearer picture if one plant is any better than the other, and what can be expected.
Thanks ajmtbm and chillysyrup for your comments.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:03 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by DaDriver
I just found out through the VIN # that my GLC 43 is coming from Finland. Has there been any discussion of differences in quality or workmanship from this plant or the one in Germany?
I wouldn't worry about this for two reasons: 1) there nothing you can do about it. 2) The Valmet plant in Finland has been doing this for decades and is known for partnerships with many Premium vehicle manufacturers. Google them and satisfy yourself that they probably know what they're doing.

My GLC300 was assembled at the Valmet plant and the fit and finish in every regard is first class. The space between all doors, the hood and liftgate are all perfect. All detail inside is what I would expect in a Premium vehicle.

I wouldn't expect any more or less problems from a car assembled at either plant. Another member had a problem with his Comand system in his Valmet built car, but it was fixed with a software update I believe.

The worst thing about your car being built in Finland is it takes a few extra days to get to the port in Bremerhaven to wait for a ship.

And BTW, I'm sure this doesn't apply to you, but I think I've read that some GLC43 members report that 43's are ONLY assembled in the Bremen, Germany plant, sort of implying the Valmet plant couldn't possibly be trusted to assemble 43's properly. I don't know all the particulars, but I've gathered TRUE AMG's are somewhat more "handmade" and may never be assembled in Finland. But your 43 should be just fine.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:09 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by DaDriver
As our fellow M/B GLC owners start receiving their delayed deliveries, we hope to have a clearer picture if one plant is any better than the other, and what can be expected.
Thanks ajmtbm and chillysyrup for your comments.
I would be very surprised if the delay on the 43's has anything to do with where they were assembled. Whatever the problem was, I would think both plants were using the same "defective" parts?

Please let us know if you hear different.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 300
I noted in an earlier post that the Finland plant messed up my order for the P2 package in my 2017 GLC 300 by failing to include the larger screen and the COMAND voice and navigation system. Someone else, who also had their GLC built in Finland, experience the same problem. Also, the leather seat in my GLC 300 seems much stiffer than the leather in my GLK 350, which was made in Germany. But otherwise, the car appears well built.