GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC 2018 ordering Android Auto Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2017 | 06:21 PM

GLC 300
GLC 2018 ordering Android Auto Issue

Ok so here is something I just can't understand.

I am ordering a 2018 GLC. Here is the issue - You cannot order Android Auto with the Premium Driver Assistance Package. This is because you have to have the upgraded Command Nav. Screen (8.4 inches) to support configuring the advanced safety features and Distronic. And the upgraded Nav. screen will not support Android Auto and Apple Carplay - the base screen however will for 2018.

So if you want a 2018 GLC with Apple Carplay and Android Auto you must downgrade to the smaller nav screen and forgo the Premium Driver Assistance Package. I have called my local dealer and verified that this is the case. I have also verified this with MB Corporate Customer Care.

I would hope that there would be a future update to support Android Auto and Apple Carplay but there is no guarantee that MB will do this.

Really unfortunate and counterintuitive. One would assume that the more expensive Command Nav. system would support AA and Carplay - added to this is that there is no way to get AA and Carplay with the Premium Driver Assistance Package.
Old 07-19-2017 | 07:13 PM

Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by planetmv
Ok so here is something I just can't understand.

I am ordering a 2018 GLC. Here is the issue - You cannot order Android Auto with the Premium Driver Assistance Package. This is because you have to have the upgraded Command Nav. Screen (8.4 inches) to support configuring the advanced safety features and Distronic. And the upgraded Nav. screen will not support Android Auto and Apple Carplay - the base screen however will for 2018.

So if you want a 2018 GLC with Apple Carplay and Android Auto you must downgrade to the smaller nav screen and forgo the Premium Driver Assistance Package. I have called my local dealer and verified that this is the case. I have also verified this with MB Corporate Customer Care.

I would hope that there would be a future update to support Android Auto and Apple Carplay but there is no guarantee that MB will do this.

Really unfortunate and counterintuitive. One would assume that the more expensive Command Nav. system would support AA and Carplay - added to this is that there is no way to get AA and Carplay with the Premium Driver Assistance Package.
I don't believe you configure anything on the screen (not that I have seen unless I missed it) so either the brains for the distronic are in the navigation screen (which would perhaps explain why it is so big) out they just want to limit variations on what they have to make

It does seem odd that the advanced nav system doesn't support the Android auto or carplay. Maybe they just assumed anyone with the built in navigation would rather use that feature as opposed to the car play so why bother expend the development resources
Old 07-19-2017 | 07:55 PM

GLC 300
I am wondering if anyone believes that there is a chance they will update the Command system with a software update to support Apple Carplay and Android Auto. I am a Waze addict and that is rumored to be supported on Android within the next few months.

Anyone have any thoughts on if MB will have a software update for current owners who have the Command Nav. System?
Old 07-19-2017 | 08:05 PM

I am wondering if anyone believes that there is a chance they will update the Command system with a software update to support Apple Carplay and Android Auto. I am a Waze addict and that is rumored to be supported on Android within the next few months.

Anyone have any thoughts on if MB will have a software update for current owners who have the Command Nav. System?
my guess is no. auto manufacturers aren't exactly known for giving new features after the vehicle is purchased
Old 07-19-2017 | 09:00 PM

BMW X3, Mercedes GLC300 (EDP)
I am a Waze addict and that is rumored to be supported on Android within the next few months.
I may misunderstand this statement, but I use Waze on my Android phone all the time. What is the rumor about?
Old 07-19-2017 | 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by ted_jane
I may misunderstand this statement, but I use Waze on my Android phone all the time. What is the rumor about?
Waze will become part of the android auto app so you will be able to use waze on the screen of vehicles that support android auto
The following users liked this post:
ted_jane (07-19-2017)