GLC300 - Apple car play vs Multimedia

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glc
GLC300 - Apple car play vs Multimedia

Hey folks,

Just gave a deposit for GLC 300. Pretty confused if I should get apple xar play or multimedia package. It is either/or.

Smartphone interface is cheaper and it gives you the benefit of apple eco system. I see chances of that improving more than the Mercedes naviation/multimedia package. Apple/Android are good at software integration.

Will I miss anythig important if I go for smart phone integration?

Obviosult it is delaying my delivery significantly as that seems loke build order.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 2018
I had the same confusion and decided on car play. But then I went to order and found out that if I wanted driver assistance package (which I did want) that I must order the multimedia package and could not get smartphone integration. Seems dumb, but when the car comes, it won't have car play because of this.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300
I also have a GLC on order with the premium driver assistance the package. I have done much research on this and here is the deal.

If you want the driver assistance package - which, as you know has many of the desirable and advanced safety features, it requires the upgraded Multimedia Package with the 8.4 inch screen (a 2018 $2,200 upgrade). The upgraded M. Media package does not support Android Auto or Carplay - to get that you have to down grade to the smaller screen. Of course this makes no sense.

I have been told that the advance safety features found in the driver assistance package require the upgraded multimedia interface to configure these advanced features.

I urge you to voice your concerns to your dealer as I have -- this seems to be a very non-consumer friendly move - you are paying more to get less! I am hopeful that Mercedes will provide a software upgrade as they did some years ago for the GLE which did not initially support Android Auto or Carplay. However, this may be more involved as it may be a hardware limitation in the upgraded Multimedia system...

I would note that Audi's new 2018 Q5 offers advance safety features (Pedestrian Detection, Pre-safe braking, lane keeping, etc.) and also supports Android Auto and Carplay - MB should respond to this if only to stay competitive.

I love the GLC 300 and will stay with my order even though it does not support AA and Carplay. My deciding factor over the Q5 were the GLC seats - they were just too comfy.

I really hope that Mercedes Benz treats customers right who are buying 2018 GLCs and provides an upgrade to Android Auto and Carplay as these are becoming standard features on mainstream cars - this is really a miss in my opinion.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2023 E450W, 2020 GLC300
Whichever system you choose, make sure it has spellcheck...
Old 07-28-2017, 01:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes GLC 220d
Originally Posted by planetmv
I also have a GLC on order with the premium driver assistance the package. I have done much research on this and here is the deal.

If you want the driver assistance package - which, as you know has many of the desirable and advanced safety features, it requires the upgraded Multimedia Package with the 8.4 inch screen (a 2018 $2,200 upgrade). The upgraded M. Media package does not support Android Auto or Carplay - to get that you have to down grade to the smaller screen. Of course this makes no sense.

I have been told that the advance safety features found in the driver assistance package require the upgraded multimedia interface to configure these advanced features.

I urge you to voice your concerns to your dealer as I have -- this seems to be a very non-consumer friendly move - you are paying more to get less! I am hopeful that Mercedes will provide a software upgrade as they did some years ago for the GLE which did not initially support Android Auto or Carplay. However, this may be more involved as it may be a hardware limitation in the upgraded Multimedia system...

I would note that Audi's new 2018 Q5 offers advance safety features (Pedestrian Detection, Pre-safe braking, lane keeping, etc.) and also supports Android Auto and Carplay - MB should respond to this if only to stay competitive.

I love the GLC 300 and will stay with my order even though it does not support AA and Carplay. My deciding factor over the Q5 were the GLC seats - they were just too comfy.

I really hope that Mercedes Benz treats customers right who are buying 2018 GLCs and provides an upgrade to Android Auto and Carplay as these are becoming standard features on mainstream cars - this is really a miss in my opinion.
i am not surprised at all, the Mercedes Software team is years behind BMW and AUDI, even Land Rover is ahead. So, it would take them a few extra month to sort this out as well. I am sure otherwise they would enable car play using software update, i don't believe for a second that there is some hardware issue, if it is capable of running Garmin Map Pilot (which is slow of course) it would be capable of running car play/android auto.

The following users liked this post:
ColeB (09-05-2019)