GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

My GLC was hit by an S500 at a stoplight - why didn't automatic braking stop his car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 09:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC 300
My GLC was hit by an S500 at a stoplight - why didn't automatic braking stop his car?

The other day this question occurred to me and I'm pretty curious about it.

A few weeks ago I was stopped at stoplight in Beverly Hills, CA. I was on Wilshire, headed east, at the intersection with La Cienega.

Sitting at the stoplight, suddenly I felt a BANG. Someone had rolled into me at a relatively low speed (10 mph?). Drunk? Texting? Both? Who knows...

Got out of my car. Walked back to see if there was damage. Noted that the car that hit me was a very new looking white S500. I'm not usually very knowledgeable about car models, but having spent a few months shopping for my GLC, I had made note that the S500 (which I had seen in a dealership) was, at least, a $90k car. So that made an impression on me.

Back to the accident. I looked at my bumper. Yep, messed up. Turned to look at the driver of the other car -- still seated in his car. He said to me "It's all okay?" I said "No, there's damage." I went back to my car to get my registration and a pen... whereupon, the driver of the S500 did a U-turn and took off down Wilshire the other direction.

Unfortunately I didn't get his plate number. News You Can Use: If you get the plate, your insurance will waive your deductible.

Anyway, yes, drivers of S500s are rich jerks with no scruples.

But here's my question: it was a new S500. Surely it had automatic braking. Why didn't the automatic braking stop him from hitting my car?

(And, here's something to know... even after repairs were finished, the body shop had to take my car to the dealer to have the blind spot monitoring calibrated. I love my car, but it's good to know there are costs to having a fancier car. All in all, my car will be at the shop for 3 weeks before I get it back. And since it was a hit and run, I've been paying for rentals and Lyft myself in the interim.)
Old 07-29-2017, 09:33 PM

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts
2021 GLE 450, 2017 GLC 300 4Matic, 2008 FJ Cruiser
Sorry to hear that and good to know your ok. Can't answer your question your asking BUT next time something like that happens make sure your video camera on phone is recording right when you exit your car and aim that phone for his/her car with his/her plates recording before observing your own damages. I learned that lesson couple of years ago.
The following users liked this post:
LazyDriver (07-31-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E63 AMG S 4MATIC Wagon
Few possible reasons I can think of. The system was turned off. Or the requirements for the system being activated was not met. Don't remember all the parameters but it's not automatic that the brakes will always engage to prevent collision. System failed to detect obstacle. System sensors were broken.

Don't be fooled by S-Class = rich. The dude could be broke, the car salvage title bought at auction. Could have borrow from someone else. Could be stolen.
LazyDriver (07-31-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Depending on what recent model year - with Driver's Assistance package you don't have Collision Prevention Assist. Driver's Assistance proivides Collision Prevention at speed when active - if not active no collision at low speeds.

Keep the beat !
LazyDriver (07-31-2017)