GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Couple of questions re. Navigation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 350e
Couple of questions re. Navigation

I have to say that overall, I am rather underwhelmed by the MB navigation in my GLC in comparison to my Audi Q5 from 2009.

For instance, I find it a pity that there is no altimeter displayed on the main screen (I am in Switzerland, so this is of interest), there is also no side display to show the next 2 or 3 manouevres, only the next one. Unless I haven't understood correctly, it also seems very cumbersome to create a personal route from A to B, when you don't want to accept one of the proposed routes.

But on a recent trip, I was driven to distraction by the voice persistently warning me of tailbacks on my proposed route I could very well see this with my own eyes - can these warnings be switched off, yet leaving the normal route guidance instructions?

Finally - I was driving home from Turin to Geneva and although I had accepted the route to go via the Mont Blanc tunnel, I intended to instead go via the St. Bernard pass. With the Audi system, soon after selecting my different route, the system would have realised and recalculated the rest of the journey, but instead the MB system kept insisting that I make a U-turn and go back. Even after I cancelled the active route and then selected a new route from my current position, the system was insisting I make a U-turn! Totally ridiculous.

Is this just the way the system is, or have I missed something?
Old 10-20-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic, 2021 BMW R1200GS
I share your frustrations and wish the GLC had Apple CarPlay for these reasons.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:05 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by kenny1406
I have to say that overall, I am rather underwhelmed by the MB navigation in my GLC in comparison to my Audi Q5 from 2009.

For instance, I find it a pity that there is no altimeter displayed on the main screen (I am in Switzerland, so this is of interest), there is also no side display to show the next 2 or 3 manouevres, only the next one. Unless I haven't understood correctly, it also seems very cumbersome to create a personal route from A to B, when you don't want to accept one of the proposed routes.

But on a recent trip, I was driven to distraction by the voice persistently warning me of tailbacks on my proposed route I could very well see this with my own eyes - can these warnings be switched off, yet leaving the normal route guidance instructions?

Finally - I was driving home from Turin to Geneva and although I had accepted the route to go via the Mont Blanc tunnel, I intended to instead go via the St. Bernard pass. With the Audi system, soon after selecting my different route, the system would have realised and recalculated the rest of the journey, but instead the MB system kept insisting that I make a U-turn and go back. Even after I cancelled the active route and then selected a new route from my current position, the system was insisting I make a U-turn! Totally ridiculous.

Is this just the way the system is, or have I missed something?
if the woman is telling you traffic, you can hit mute and it will stop (until the next time there is a traffic message). agreed it can be verbose and annoying at times. you can also turn all traffic announcements off in settings

to show the next 2 or 3 turns you can use the wheel to go down and select route and then route list. the screen does not shrink though it is an overlay so when doing this you lost the right half of the map.

agreed the system isn't the best; what really annoys me is that it goes tosplit screen view way too late - by the time the split screen shows up if you didn't already get yourself into where you need to be you will likely miss the turn
Old 10-23-2017, 10:11 AM

GLC 350e
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
if the woman is telling you traffic, you can hit mute and it will stop (until the next time there is a traffic message). agreed it can be verbose and annoying at times. you can also turn all traffic announcements off in settings

to show the next 2 or 3 turns you can use the wheel to go down and select route and then route list. the screen does not shrink though it is an overlay so when doing this you lost the right half of the map.

agreed the system isn't the best; what really annoys me is that it goes tosplit screen view way too late - by the time the split screen shows up if you didn't already get yourself into where you need to be you will likely miss the turn

Thanks for your reply. I'm happy to see that I can choose to turn off the traffic announcements. However, I can't see where to select "Route" on the Navi display..........
Old 10-23-2017, 12:04 PM

GLC 350e
Sorry..... found it!
Old 10-25-2017, 10:03 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by kenny1406
Sorry..... found it!
when i first looked for it to confirm the location i didnt see it... then realized i wasnt under route guidance! all this time i never noticed that it didnt always show route on the bottom screen