GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Consumer Reports - GLC Reliability Poor

Old 01-29-2018, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
The best survey is to read what owners say on forums, if you think the GLC has issues go on the Land rover discovery sport forum.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300 4Matic, Sport+Night
Originally Posted by eggsplorist
Thanks, everyone.

I have a 2015 GLK350 on lease that expires May and have been looking for a replacement. The CR reliability rating for the GLC300 threw me for a loop: I thought my shopping would be over quickly: just go get a new GLC300! Now, I don't know. One other issue I have, living in Georgetown, TX (30 mi. N of Austin) I cannot find a GLC 300 in-stock anywhere close to the one I'd like to have. No 4Matics in south Texas, no ventilated seats, no Premium Driver Assistance Package: You'll have to order one from Germany, which will take 3-4 MONTHS! And, Oh, if you want anything other than black, white or silver, or with a black or tan interior, you'll have to commit to purchasing the car when you order it (and make a substantial payment upon placing the order.)

I may just go next door and get a Subaru Forester XT Touring. The only thing missing is the ventilated seats, and I can get one RIGHT NOW! And spend $15,000-17,000 less.

I'm not sure what boring receptionist is ordering these things, but I agree, most on the lot are black, silver, white which beige interior and dullsville options. Very ho-hum.
It's worth the time-investment to get exactly what you want, especially if you consider yourself extra particular. Mine was special order (then I decided on the Euro deliver, but that does for sure add another 4-6 weeks). 3-4 month delay investment is worth if it you plan to have it a while! For my dealer, I was able to "jump" the line of their existing orders; in other words, my dealer offered to "replace" one of their boring models already in the queue to be built with my special one. Doesn't hurt to ask, but maybe they will even extend your lease while you wait -- depends on how much they want to make a sale, have a repeat customer.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML320 CDI
Thanks for the additional comments.

As far as CR's ratings go, I completely disregard their "Style" category, as I think that is completely subjective. And, yeah, I know CR's auto ratings are, shall we say, suspect. I remember I bought a 1985 Nissan Maxima SE, the one with 5-speed manual. CR raved about it for one or two years, but then, Oh, EXCEPT for the manual transmission. After one transmission re-build at 23,000 mi., and another one probably on the way at 45,000, I got rid of it.

So, I'll check JDP and see what they say.

I need to update my rides: The ML 320 CDI was traded on the 2015 GLK 350, and I also have a 2011 BMW 128i convertible, which is a good car (no brand loyalty here.)
Old 01-29-2018, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Corvette Grand Sport, GMC Denali, 2018 GLC 43 AMG SUV
I'm the proud owner of a 2018 GLC 43. Currently I have just over 3,500 miles on this vehicle and have absolutely no regrets. The performance and overall functionality is great and I thoroughly enjoy using distronic while on long trips. I would prefer a smoother ride, however the additional storage capacity you gain where the spare is normally located is fantastic for additional storage. I have had no (zero) instances of having to return to a MB dealer since picking up my GLC. In summary, based on my experience to date, Consumer Reports should give the 2018 GLC a good review.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLC300 P01 selenite grey
The recent Consumer Reports rating of the GLC is a fiasco. The 2016 GLC gets a red for brakes and an orange for noises, even though it should be just the orange; This was not a brake function problem.
The 2017 GLC gets green in almost all areas, and an orange for in-car electronics (why?), and still gets an overall RED!!!... WTF??
I have the 2018 GLC300, and it is a great car in all aspects, 4K now, and I hope it stays reliable into the future.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
We have had our '18 GLC300, with airmatic, for almost 2,000 miles with absolutely no issues. The ride is better than my '18 C300. Sometimes you get a good feeling about a car and its reliability, and I've got that feeling about the GLC.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
March 2018.
GLC in top 10 Happy Owners - Consumer Reliability in USA.
https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobil...-today.html/5/

“ Any vehicle based on the Mercedes C-Class has a head-start on the competition, so there is no surprise the GLC compact SUV fared well in Consumer Reports tests. Reviewers pointed out the excellent performance, genuine luxury feel inside the cabin, and unusually appealing nine-speed transmission. With its first year of reliability tests out of the way, the GLC line got the best score of any Mercedes in the running. “

Nice to hear.
The following users liked this post:
carnutt (03-21-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC300 (in the future)
Originally Posted by Teckno
March 2018.
GLC in top 10 Happy Owners - Consumer Reliability in USA.
https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobil...-today.html/5/

“ Any vehicle based on the Mercedes C-Class has a head-start on the competition, so there is no surprise the GLC compact SUV fared well in Consumer Reports tests. Reviewers pointed out the excellent performance, genuine luxury feel inside the cabin, and unusually appealing nine-speed transmission. With its first year of reliability tests out of the way, the GLC line got the best score of any Mercedes in the running. “

Nice to hear.
Not sure this is a site to reference... this post appeared 5 days later.
https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-car...for-2018.html/
Old 05-05-2018, 11:37 AM

Unfortunately the bad review of ConsumerReports has found its way into other media, for example, Bloomberg. They put the GLC in the ten worst vehicles to avoid!...
https://www.shebudgets.com/news/2018-cars-avoid/80537/3

I wish Benz would address this misinformation issue, somehow. Though I realize it may create more publicity problems.

I am a car enthusiast, and have all the CR Auto issues for the last 10 years. Typically they were correct. But the last auto issue has let me down. Not only for the GLC. There are vehicles with all areas "green", and the average is "red". It makes no sense. There is either bias or bad analytics in CR nowdays. That's a shame...
Old 05-05-2018, 12:09 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
Bias? Consumer Reports is literally the definition of bias. They compile their overall "rating" based primarily on surveys of their own membership, not a statistically accurate cross-section of actual owners of the car in question. For accuracy, ignore CR and look to other companies who only accept survey responses from people who a registered owners of the car in question.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by stath
Unfortunately the bad review of ConsumerReports has found its way into other media, for example, Bloomberg. They put the GLC in the ten worst vehicles to avoid!...
https://www.shebudgets.com/news/2018-cars-avoid/80537/3

I wish Benz would address this misinformation issue, somehow. Though I realize it may create more publicity problems.

I am a car enthusiast, and have all the CR Auto issues for the last 10 years. Typically they were correct. But the last auto issue has let me down. Not only for the GLC. There are vehicles with all areas "green", and the average is "red". It makes no sense. There is either bias or bad analytics in CR nowdays. That's a shame...
I tried reading that article on that hack of a website you referenced, but it's fairly difficult due to just how bad the writing is. (Not surprising, when articles on that site include hits like "Hats for Women with Short Hair.")

The info that CR has is misconstrued. Yes, the brakes still squeal like a banshee for many folks. The wipers still stick. And Mercedes has done nothing to permanently remedy these issues.

But are they making the car unsafe? No.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
So Tiffany at the SheBudgets website says the GLC does not have a good brake system and as such the GLC is not recommended for anyone while MotorTrend names it the 2017 SUV of the Year. Gee, I wonder whom should we believe. I do remember that MT gave a thumbs-up for GLC's 60-0 mph 110-ft stopping distance in their SUV of the Year article. Both the Audi and BMW comparable SUVs tested out at over 120 ft. The Audi coming in at over 130 ft.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
I dropped CR back in the early 80's. Their write ups were so biased I couldn't handle it.

Last edited by mikbar2; 05-08-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC 300
Avoid the GLC!? No way, it's a great model overall for the price! That's crazy talk....

Yes, the stock brakes on my 2018 GLC300 are sketchy - as is the wiper system and standard (US) headlights. Unsafe? Who knows but the brakes are bad enough that my wife yells at me when I drive her GLA250 as I'm constantly stomping like a maniac as that's what I have to do with my GLC. I don't tailgate but still it's tough to stop quickly so little fluffy that runs out in the road is likely toast. Dealer has checked and said no issues.

I'm at 3500 miles and no other <repeatable> issues yet, but for any real reviewer to say to "avoid this model" is talking out their ****. This is my 4th MBZ after previously owning 3 BMWs and I'd buy the GLC again in a heartbeat ABSOLUTELY - but I'd order (better?) AMG brakes, high-end headlights, and would hope the wiper issue would be fixed by then, although mine are working mostly OK after a vigorous Bon Ami scrubbing.

.....and I know some of you will strongly disagree with me on the brakes which makes me wonder if there are different systems out there???

I have a 2018 GLC300 assembled 10/2017 in Finland.

Last edited by brady; 05-06-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:44 PM

I just watched the 2018 GLC300 video review on CR and they had great things to say about it. They dinged it for the Infotainment System and the Shifter, but other than that there was no mention of a reason not to make the purchase. I'm having the RF Tires replaced on Tuesday with Michelin Primacy A/S and looking forward to the new ride.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:33 PM

Here is the full CR published review:

Furthering its model name revitalization, Mercedes-Benz replaced the sharp-edged GLK compact SUV with a softer-shaped, more refined GLC. The GLC slots between the entry-level GLA and mid-sized GLE.

With bones coming from the excellent C-Class sedan, the GLC swaddles its occupants in a luxurious leather-lined cabin, quiet solitude, and the solid, substantial and sophisticated driving experience typical of Mercedes that convinces people to part with a considerable chunk of change.

The GLC delivers one of the most comfortable rides of any small SUV. It's also strikingly silent, with just a slight thrum of the four-cylinder turbocharged engine intruding upon the interior, particularly when starting up on cold mornings.

Despite the relaxed vibe, the GLC has some athletic chops that make it fun-to-drive. The steering responds promptly to your command -- even good enough to be compared with the nimble handling of the Audi Q5 and BMW X3. Unfortunately, though, when pushed to its limits on the track, this three-pointed star didn't shine as brightly as its sedan counterpart. The GLC's stability control jumped in early, causing it to brake rapidly and making the car run wide of its intended line. This wasn't unsafe, but it didn't inspire much confidence.

The standard 2.0-liter, 241-hp turbocharged four-cylinder engine might not impress on a spec sheet, but it moves the GLC with ease. A sprint to 60 mph takes a mere 6.8 seconds. It's even rated to tow over 5,000 pounds -- impressive for the segment. The new smooth and responsive nine-speed automatic transmission helps keep the engine performing in its sweet spot. This powertrain combo returned a respectable 22 mpg overall.

As you'd expect in this class, the GLC's interior is elegant and well put together. With padded and soft surfaces, generous use of wood and chrome touches, good taste reigns inside the cabin. Multi-adjustable front seats prove supportive yet supple over the long haul. The rear seat, however, is a bit snug. The standard MB-Tex leatherette upholstery is a convincing stand-in for leather, but at this price, we expect the real thing. The view out is decent, and it's easy to find a good fit behind the power tilt-and-telescope wheel. A rear camera is standard. Blind-spot monitoring is optional, as is a surround-view camera system that displays a 360-degree view.

Perhaps the biggest knock against the GLC is the learning curve needed to master the controls and infotainment system. A controller knob and touchpad on the console interact with a center dashboard screen. Other luxury cars have similar setups, but Mercedes made some decisions that hurt usability. Finding what you want in the system can take some hunting around since lots of functions aren't clearly labeled. It's not intuitive, for example, when you want to change radio tracks while the navigation map is on the screen. The electronic shifter can also be fussy and unintuitive to use, and the car lacks some desired safeguards to prevent it from rolling away when parked, should the driver accidentally not select Park.

Our typically equipped GLC rang in at nearly $50,000, on par with similarly equipped competitors. But we found that configuring certain options is a pain. For example, to get a heated steering wheel, you must choose the black interior. (We're not making this up.)

At least the company made automatic emergency braking standard.

Available in an optional package is a driver-assistance feature, adaptive cruise control with steering, called Distronic Plus with Steering Assist, keeps a set distance from a vehicle in front, regardless of changing speeds. It also follows the lane you're driving in automatically. The steering wheel actually moves by itself to track the lane, presaging the self-driving cars of the future -- though it does not permit operation with your hands off the wheel. The convenience feature can help ease stress, but drivers must remain fully engaged with the driving process to remain safe.

All in all, the GLC seems more than ready to compete in the rapidly-growing high-end segment. It is a pleasure to drive, and the opulent interior makes for a delightful cocoon in which to roll away the miles.

Best Version to Get

The blind-spot detection system is the only option we'd consider an essential, plus heated seats if you live where it gets cold. The GLC is also available in a number of high-performance AMG variants.

Notable changes:
The GLC replaces the Mercedes-Benz GLK. While both were based on the contemporary C-Class sedan platform at the time, each has a very different feel. The angular GLK looked like a Tonka truck, with lots of near-right angles that had some visual connection to the decades-old Mercedes G-Class. Stiff-riding, the GLK lacked the refinement expected from Mercedes, especially early versions that suffered from a cheap-looking interior.

Not only is the GLC more rounded looking outside, but the rough edges have been smoothed all over. It has a plusher interior and rides better. The standard GLC powertrain is a turbocharged four-cylinder and nine-speed automatic. Performance-oriented AMG models are also offered.

Driving ExperienceHandlingThe GLC doesn't shy away from corners. It feels light on its feet and eager to turn. Steering response is prompt and direct, even if it doesn't have a lot of feedback, and the taut suspension keeps the body alert and even. A thumbwheel, labeled "Agility," adjusts driving modes -- spanning from Eco to Sport Plus -- but it's more about changing throttle response than handling.

While the GLC proved safe and sound when pushed to its limits on our track, its performance was compromised by stability control tuning that's not ideal. The electronics jumped in early and caused the GLC to brake rapidly. This made the car want to run wide of its intended line. Consequently, it limited the GLC's speed in our avoidance maneuver and sapped some the driving enjoyment.

PowertrainThe 241-hp, 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine may sound like a regression compared to the old GLK's 3.5-liter V6, but it works well for bolstering fuel economy while preserving acceleration. In fact, it catapults the GLC to 60 mph from rest in a quick 6.8 seconds.

The nine-speed automatic works well, responding promptly to part-throttle kick downs and shifting smoothly -- not always a given with other nine-speeds.

If you're in a hurry, or just impatient, change the driving mode from Comfort to Sport or Sport Plus, and you'll get a snappier throttle response and earlier downshifts. Paddles on the steering wheel spokes allow "manual" shifting.

We measured an overall of 22 mpg on premium fuel.

More powerful AMG versions are also offered.

Off-roadThe GLC is not intended for venturing off-road beyond a muddy dirt road.

TowingThe GLC is rated to tow approximately 5,100 pounds -- more than most competitors. If towing is in your future, we'd get the optional tow package. All GLCs are equipped with the necessary drivetrain cooling capability to tow the max capacity, but the tow package adds trailer wiring and a hitch.

Ride comfortThe GLC rides very comfortably. It takes the edge of bumps and ruts with stride. Every pavement flaw is well masked and muted. All the while, body motions remain subdued and controlled. It serves a steady sail on the highway.

NoiseAs you'd expect in this class, the GLC's near-silent ride is befitting of a luxury car. Road and wind noise are virtually absent. And while the engine stays mostly subdued,one hears a somewhat raspy note. It's the only engine available and not quite as polished as the GLK's V6. Nitpicking aside, the GLC is quieter than all of its direct competitors, including the BMW X3 and Lexus NX.

BrakingThe GLC performed well with short stops on both wet and dry surfaces. Pedal modulation was superb, with precise feel and feedback. Stopping smoothly is effortless.

HeadlightsStandard halogen low-beams do a good job providing nighttime visibility both straight ahead and to the sides of the road. High beams extend that visibility notably further. LED lamps are available as part of the optional Lighting package.

Inside The CabinInterior fit and finish

Even by the already ritzy standards of the compact luxury SUV class, the GLC's interior really stands out. A giant slab of woodgrain covers the center dashboard, perforated by big round Steampunk-styled metallic vents and precise rows of metallic switches. All of the door panels, most of the dashboard, and the sides of the center console are covered with soft-touch materials.

The standard MB-Tex leatherette upholstery is a convincing stand-in for leather, but at this price, we expect the real thing. (It's optional.) You can get the top of the dashboard covered with stitched MB-Tex for an even more luxurious look.

Driving position

Accommodating and spacious, most drivers can find a good fit behind the GLC's power tilt-and-telescope wheel. Short drivers can also sit up high for a commanding view out. Head room is abundant, even with the optional panoramic sunroof. There is plenty of left foot room, with a spacious foot rest, and the wheel has a generous adjustment range. Our only quibble is that the wide center console can crowd right foot space near the pedals.

Visibility

Relatively thin roof pillars and good-sized windows make seeing out of the GLC relatively easy. That's impressive for a small luxury SUV since most rivals opt for slick-back styling that results in thicker rear roof pillars and a squashed rear window.

A rear camera is standard. Blind-spot monitoring is optional, as is a surround-view camera system that displays a 360-degree view all around the car, helpful for tight parking spots. Frustratingly, cross-traffic alert is not included with the blind-spot monitoring system (as on almost every other car); it comes within another options package.

Seat comfort

The GLC's seats are a great place to rack up the miles. They're well-contoured, holding you in place in the corners while not squishing your back. Cushioning has a nice initial give but is firm and supportive beneath even for the long haul. The standard 14-way power driver's seat has plenty of adjustments, including lumbar and seat memory. Power passenger seat is standard; 14-way adjustments, including memory, are optional on that side.

Long-legged drivers will appreciate the added thigh support provided by the cushion extender, but you might not like the odd cavity -- formerly occupied by the now-extended cushion.

MB-Tex leatherette is standard. Perforations in the upholstery help reduce stickiness in hot weather, but the optional leather will breathe better.

As is typical Mercedes, the seat adjustment controls are split; the door panel has switches that resemble a seat, while lumbar controls are on the bottom of the cushion. For drivers used to reaching down to the seat cushion to make all adjustments, this takes some getting used to. Loyal Mercedes drivers will feel right at home, though.

Even tall adults have plenty of head room in the rear seat; leg and knee room is just adequate rather than spacious. The seat is well-padded and supportive.

Access

Getting into this compact SUV is easy. The seats sit at chair-height, and the doors are tall, minimizing ducking or climbing. However, you need to step over the relatively high door sill, and there is just enough foot room for stepping into the rear seat.

Gauges

Analog gauges display the basics, but the speedometer markings are a bit small. A screen between the gauges can be configured to display fuel economy, trip, navigation directions, phone contacts or "now playing" audio system information. The screen's menu structure is relatively easy to follow, using steering wheel controls. It allows you to pick tracks or songs from your smartphone, or scroll through phone contacts using steering wheel controls.

A seven-inch color display is standard, perched atop the center dashboard, monitoring audio functions. The Multimedia package includes a larger eight-inch screen along with built-in navigation.

Also optional is a head-up display that digitally projects speed and navigation directions, looking like they hover over the road ahead. This keeps your eyes on the road, but it's an expensive option that also requires the Premium package.

Controls

Even compared to other German luxury cars, the GLC's controls are complicated.

A typical Mercedes frustration is the shifter. It's a low-effort wand on the right side of the steering column that looks a lot like a wiper stalk. If you're new to Mercedes, you'll hit it the first few times it starts raining. Park is engaged by pushing a button on the end of the shifter. Again, drivers new to this brand might foul things up the first few times. Despite being fully electronic, the transmission doesn't go into Park once the engine is shut off (which it should); instead, the car can roll away. At least opening the door puts the GLC in Park.

And the infotainment system is unintuitive and distracting. A controller knob and touchpad on the console interact with a center dashboard screen. Other luxury cars have similar setups, but Mercedes made some decisions that hurt usability.

Finding what you want in the system can take some hunting around. Lots of functions aren't clearly labeled, or require a jog of the controller to display the labels. Saving a radio station in the preset list is extremely tedious, as is changing audio source. You wind up constantly fiddling with the system.

Once you pull up the appropriate screen, it's easy enough to figure out how to move through most of the system's major functions (nav, radio, phone, etc.) by pushing and turning the knob to select from rows on the screen. Onscreen fonts are clear and easy to read. You'll probably find some of the lower-level features, like the radio station list, more by accident rather than by design.

The touchpad perches atop the console-mounted wrist rest for the controller knob. Swiping its screen moves through selections, and you can draw out letters for navigation destinations if you have the Multimedia package. That's faster than dialing up letters with the knob, but you'll still probably look at the screen to confirm that it got it right. So much for eliminating eyes-off-road-time.

The touchpad's downsides outweigh its positives. It's easy to accidentally change radio stations by inadvertently swiping the touchpad. Since the touchpad sits right atop the controller knob, it seems like a really redundant gimmick and anyway, the knob is simply more precise and reliable.

Infotainment

High points
  • Optional 8.4-inch screen is large and has very crisp graphics
  • Can easily add navigation to cars with smaller 7-inch screen by just getting the SD map card
  • Head-up display is available without navigation
  • Ability to perform many tasks through the steering wheel and cluster
Low points
  • Complicated system logic makes system unintuitive and distracting
  • Many hidden shortcuts that aren't immediately obvious
  • No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto support yet
  • Retracting rear camera can be slow to extend, screen image lags a bit
  • Touchpad can be accidentally swiped, inadvertently changing settings
Navigation

Two different levels of navigation are available. Cars with the base seven-inch screen can support navigation with an upgrade. This uses a familiar Garmin interface and maps, and it can even display directions in the center instrument panel display or the optional head-up display. The Multimedia package includes hard drive-based maps with three years of free updates. Other than the larger screen (which is rather nice), it doesn't add much more function than the less expensive system.

Voice commands

The GLC supports Siri Eyes Free, as well as having a built-in system for Bluetooth phone operation. Voice commands for controlling music selections are only included with the Multimedia package. That package also supports Google Local Search by voice.

Connectivity

USB connection for iPod control and charging is standard, and one USB slot just for charging devices. A dealer option provides an iPad docking station for the rear seats.

The Mbrace Concierge service can call an operator who can search for and then remotely send a destination's address to your system from the call center. That service is free for the first three months and includes Internet access through a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot and browser. After the initial 3 months it' s a subscription based service. A smartphone app supports remote start and remote unlocking/locking through. That part is free for the first five years.

Automatic crash notification, which contacts emergency services in case of a crash, and post-theft vehicle tracking, is only free for the first six months. Buttons located above the rearview mirror can also be used to summon help. These services are available through the Mbrace Secure subscription.

Apps

Several popular apps -- including Yelp, Twitter, Facebook, iHeartRadio -- can be displayed on the car's screen through your smartphone or streamed using the car's onboard 3G connection.

Climate features

As expected in this class, dual-zone automatic climate control is standard. What's also expected for our GLC's $50,000 price is a heated steering wheel -- which it doesn't have (and is only available if you choose a black interior). Heated seats are optional, but unlike some other competitors, they shut off as soon as you open the door, even if you go right back in.

Cabin storage

Open storage up front is limited to a small bin just ahead of the cup holders. The spacious and deep bin under the padded armrest conveniently opens like a clam shell. The front passenger also gets a small net on the left side of the footwell. Rear-seat passengers have a small covered bin in the fold-down center armrest.

Cup holders

Front passengers get two cup holders near the shifter. Rear-seaters make due with two cup holders nestled into the fold-down center armrest. All four doors have large built-in bottle holders.

Cargo area

The cargo area is nicely finished including a retractable cargo cover. Numerous tie-downs and a few bag hooks help secure items. The ability to hang the cargo cover up is handy when loading or unloading items hidden underneath. The standard power liftgate is also convenient. By selectively folding the rear seat sections one can maximize versatility.

Spare tire

Run-flat tires are standard -- hence, no spare.

Safety & Driver Assist SystemsCrash-test results

The GLC is an IIHS Top Safety Pick Plus thanks to good crash test results, standard crash avoidance features.

While this vehicle can be outfitted with a semi-autonomous driving package, Consumer Reports believes automakers should take stronger steps to ensure that vehicles with these systems are designed, deployed and marketed safely. These convenience features can help ease stress, but drivers must remain fully engaged with the driving process to remain safe..

The GLC comes standard with automatic emergency braking. The system works up to 65 mph for a moving vehicle and can recognize stationary objects up to 31 mph. The system gives a warning displays a warning triangle in the instrument panel if a collision is imminent.

Also standard is Brake Assist System Plus. This system scans in front of the vehicle looking for other cars and pedestrians. It also augments the driver's brake pressure to ensure stopping in time for an emergency situation.

Our GLC had blind-spot warning, which detects a vehicle hiding in the adjacent lane. An audible alert is given if the turn signal is activated while another car is alongside. While most cars automatically include cross-traffic alert with blind spot monitoring, Mercedes forces you to pony up for another options package to get this very desirable feature.

ShifterSelecting Park with the electronic shifter requires very deliberately pushing a small button on the tip of the lever. Because of this, there is an increased risk of the parked car rolling away because of accidentally not being in Park. Shutting off the car in gear does not automatically engage Park, leaving the car free to roll. On the plus side, if an unbelted driver opens the door in any gear (except Neutral), it will automatically shift into Park.

Driving with kidsRear-facing installations in the center seat may prove difficult due to awkward belt spacing. When installing infant seats in the outboard seat, be mindful to wedge the base between the ISOFIX covers in order to get a secure fit. You have to remove the cargo shield to access the tether anchors. Booster kids seated on the outboard seat may need two hands to buckle. Three-across child seats will not work in this vehicle.

WarrantyAll cars come with basic warranty coverage, also known as a bumper-to-bumper warranty. This protects consumers against unexpected problems with non-wear items. Powertrain warranty protects against engine and transmission troubles. Rust through, or corrosion warranty, covers rust to non-damaged components. Roadside aid provides on-location assistance in case of a breakdown and may include limited towing services.

Extended warranties provide peace of mind. Owners of models known to have worse-than-average predicted reliability can mitigate risks with an extended warranty. Generally, we recommend buying a model with better-than-average reliability and skipping this expensive add on. If you do buy an extended warranty, it is key to read the small print to understand what is covered and where you can bring the car for repairs.

Basic (years/miles)
4/50,000
Powertrain (years/miles)
4/50,000
Rust through (years/miles)
4/50,000
Roadside aid (years/miles)
4/50,000
Road Test Scores by Trim

4-Door SUV GLC300 4-Cyl 9-Speed Automatic
81 / 100
Old 05-08-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Thanks for posting this, Pete. I hadn’t actually gone to the trouble to read this, but did after you posted it. For anyone who may not know better, you do NOT have to get a black INTERIOR to get the heated steering wheel. The heated steering wheel DOES, however only come in black, so I have the black heated steering wheel and black dash with the Silk Beige interior. It looks fine.

One other notable exception in the review is the driving modes. While I use Comfort mode mostly, I tried the Sport and Sport Plus on a particularly curvy local road and the difference was NOT only in throttle response, as CR claims, but also in the steering feel. The steering wheel tightened up noticeably, at least to me, and it was much more difficult to oversteer while pushing it through the curves.

Overall, I would consider the written CR review very favorable and fairly accurate, but I too, like others have noted, dropped my CR subscription mainly because there are many more detailed reviews available for the stuff I might buy.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
It doesn't mention that you can't have the flat bottomed steering wheel if you want the heated one.

Also with air suspension sport + lowers the car, may also lower in sport.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:35 PM

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
GLC300 (mine) GLK250 (wife's)
I started to lose confidence in CR many years ago after one particular occurrence. In a report the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe both were listed. The Toyota was given the top rating, the Pontiac was given a below average rating. Problem was that both cars were Corolla-based identical twins except for the badges and some sheet metal. Clearly there was a huge amount of subjectivity and misinformation going on. I was skeptical from then on and started to notice routine and frequent inconsistencies which made me question CRs findings much of the time.

I could be wrong but it seems to me that CR's problems don't stem from bias but an over-simplification of the questionnaires sent out and a consequent lack of granularity in the results. CR has maybe judged that few people will respond to to a complicated, detailed questionnaire that takes hours to complete so they've simplified the format to get the maximum number of responses. Problem is that a question about "infotainment problems" is open to subjectivity and could range from buttons being "in the wrong place" to the whole unit exploding. As a user of the data you can't tell subjective personal preferences from catastrophic reliability issues. That's probably of secondary importance to CR as long as people still buy their mag and go to their web site.

There is/was a web site called True Delta which recognized the CR problems and took a different approach. They specifically excluded recalls unless the owner had actually experienced the problem being recalled. They also asked for a brief explanation of the problems so it was easy to sort out if "brake problems" consisted of brake dust or catastrophic brake failures. Without this level of detail, CR falls somewhere between crude subjectivity and misleading information.
BTW I've had my GLC for a year and a half and love it but I have had an issue - a puncture caused by a long drywall screw. Under CR's fuzzy metrics and my own subjective assessment I've had a wheel/suspension problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by karmikan:
Chrisk03 (08-02-2018), mtberman (08-02-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 10:43 AM

The CR bias for Toyota/Lexus is very well known. When I was a student I got a new Toyota Camry. It was plagued with problems from day 1! But CR had it as the Most Reliable automobile. Also, Toyota USA's response to my requests was minimal...
If I was on a budget today, I would have bought a Hyundai, as they have excellent reliability for the economy car category. They are far superior quality than Toyota. But CR still lists Toyota as better reliability than Hyundai...

With that said, I have learned how to read the CR tables, and how to be objective, and to be able to see the misinformation, and not just look at the overall score they give.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC, Q7
After owning new BMW, Audi and Mercedes over the past 2 decades, my 2 cents worth is to always have the vehicle serviced by the manufacturers dealership. Yes I realise it may cost more than your local mechanic, but it means probability of better reliability. Moreover, it ensures the manufacturers updates are installed, etc. Now dont be confused by reliability and build quality. Whilst RHD GLCs are very reliable, they have poor build quality compared to at least Audi, which I think has contributed to the poor consumer ratings. For instance nothing has failed, but after 60,000kms only, the vehicle rattles/ sqeakes like an old car.

Last edited by Ian of Sydney; 11-10-2018 at 01:16 AM.