Debating between GLC 330 SUV and BMW 330i Sportwagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC300
Debating between GLC 330 SUV and BMW 330i Sportwagon

Hello all,
I currently drive a 2014 Audi Allroad, and have been going back and forth between Mercedes and BMW for my next vehicle. I drove the GLC 300 SUV, and it drove well, quiet, solid, love the interior, but lacks a certain sporty feel, even though that does improve in Sports mode. Last night, I drove the new BMW X3 30i, and to my surprise, it did not really feel any sportier than the GLC 300. It was nice, but didn't wow me as more special than the GLC. I drove the BMW 330i Sport wagon for the heck of it, and really liked the handling/ performance, but it definitely feels like an older model. I know I'm comparing an SUV to a sedan-based wagon, and there will be a difference. So if anybody was cross shopping between Mercedes and BMW, any reasons that you went with Mercedes over BMW? Has the GLC treated you well thus far? I would be doing a custom build on a 2018 model with the specs I want/ need. Should I be shooting for around 10% off or is that too much? Just to note, the AMG 43 is too much $$$ for what I want to spend (I know it has the sportiness factor). Thank you in advance for your responses!
Old 11-16-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300
Went through the same thought process - have already owned several BMW's and just love the sportiness on those cars.

For me the choice came down to BMW X3 or the GLC 300. The X3 is definitely sportier (and cheaper). My requirements though were for a daily driver and here ride comfort and interior were key factors. Also, wanted excellent "self drive" features. On these counts the GLC won hands down. I have now had the GLC 2 months and am very happy with the choice.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43AMG
We really wanted to buy the X3 but the GLC was just more car IMO; better interior and felt more solid. Everything seemed more "premium" like the lights, interior, tire size, etc. . Want sporty? the GLC43 is very sporty. ;-) . I think that BMW made their larger and more expensive models (X5 and X6) look better than their X3/X4 models whereas the GLC looks better than the GLE to me.

YMMV

Dave
The following users liked this post:
SilverSurferMB (10-23-2019)
Old 11-16-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
We've owned BMW and Audi products over the years and did a similar comparison. X3 and GLC are definitely SUVs as compared to BMW and Audi wagons. Both handle well for what they are but feel heavier and slower from behind the wheel versus the car versions.

In my case it came down to interior and price. I want the nicest interior and don't want to pay for navigation, adaptive suspension, parking assist, special displays, and driving aids. However, I always want heated seats & steering wheel, nice wheels, LED or Xenon lamps, a moonroof, and premium sound. The GLC came up WAY cheaper in my case (more than $6,000 less) because BMW restricts options. You can't just buy premium sound on an X3. It requires a big cash outlay for a bunch of things I don't want to buy, and then you still have to pay for the harman/kardon on top of that. No thanks.

With the Benz I could order LED lamps, pano roof, Burmester, 19" wheels, and the cold weather options all as individual options.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:06 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
GLC
Drove a Silvercar Q5 for a week. Ride height lower. Back seat smaller. Lots of switchgear. Hate the MMI interface as much as Merc's. Digital cluster is not impressive and annoying. Silky engine, mediocre gear box, lower wind noise. Higher road noise. All white interior lighting feels sterile to me, not 8nviting at night. GLC has much better backup camera. Good headlight but GLC is even better. Overall I much prefer GLC.

Had an X3 as loaner, very similar experience with Q5 except better tech, more inviting and best powertrain by far. I dislike the styling inside and out. It.was outdated the moment it was released but this is YMMV.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
glc 43 amg
As a recent GLC owner I hate to say this, but have you considered an Audi S5 sportback? Not quite the same boot space as a wagon or SUV but still quite practical. The handling will feel far better than SUVs, even the sporty GLC 43, regardless of what test results say (it's not all about numbers).