Which tyres on 2017 GLC 250 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GLC 250 AMG
Which tyres on 2017 GLC 250 AMG?

Hi,

My partner acquired a brand new Mercedes GLC 250d AMG (UK model in stock) in April 2017 and was told the car comes with run flats and received no spare or Tyre kit. She then had a puncture and was told by the tyre shop her car has normal tyres, not run flats.

Sadly, we believe the car also has a fault - on full steering locks, there is a knocking noise. Mercedes are saying its the characteristic of the GLC car but we're not convinced. Furthermore, they have now wrote:

"Further to your recent visit in regards to the tyre issue, unfortunately there has been an issue with the order as they are not certain to which tyres your vehicle requires. Could kindly send me a picture of the front and rear tyre showing the size on the sidewalls. I apologise for the delay I want to ensure the correct tyres are ordered for the vehicle. "

The vehicle has Pirelli Scorpion Verde 255/45/20 101w and they are saying the tyres shall fix the knocking noise too.

1. Should the car have run flats
2. Could incorrect tyres cause a knocking noise on full locks
3. Should a tyre kit be supplied by MB?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by bbasra; 12-20-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by bbasra
Hi,

My partner acquired a brand new Mercedes GLC 250d AMG (UK model in stock) in April 2017 and was told the car comes with run flats and received no spare or Tyre kit. She then had a puncture and was told by the tyre shop her car has normal tyres, not run flats.

Sadly, we believe the car also has a fault - on full steering locks, there is a knocking noise. Mercedes are saying its the characteristic of the GLC car but we're not convinced. Furthermore, they have now wrote:

"Further to your recent visit in regards to the tyre issue, unfortunately there has been an issue with the order as they are not certain to which tyres your vehicle requires. Could kindly send me a picture of the front and rear tyre showing the size on the sidewalls. I apologise for the delay I want to ensure the correct tyres are ordered for the vehicle. "

The vehicle has Pirelli Scorpion Verde 255/45/20 101w and they are saying the tyres shall fix the knocking noise too.

1. Should the car have run flats
2. Could incorrect tyres cause a knocking noise on full locks
3. Should a tyre kit be supplied by MB?

Many thanks in advance.

A run flat tire would say RFT or RunFlat or MOExtended on them. I don't see any of that nomenclature in the picture shown

I believe the pirelli scorpions come in both versions, which to me seems odd. Not sure why they wouldn't give one version a different name, that would make more sense
Old 12-21-2017, 08:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300 4Matic
For Scorpion Verde range, they have three types:
- Seal Inside (SEAL INSIDE is a new tyre construction technology that allows you to continue driving without losing air pressure even after the tyre has been punctured by an external object. Covering almost 85% of the possible accidental causes of pressure loss)
- Run Flat (It is the tyre dedicated to high-end premium cars and SUVs, specifically designed to fit perfectly with the modern vehicles' features ensuring maximum safety, control and performance in all weather conditions.)
- Comfort (The PIRELLI NOISE CANCELLING SYSTEM™ (PNCS) is a technology able to reduce the noise inside the vehicle thanks to a sound absorbing device applied to the inside circumferential wall of the tyre, reducing noise significantly.)

Mine came with the words "RUN FLAT" after the Verde.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:45 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
GLC 43, MITSUBISHI PHEV, BMW Z1
You've hit on a couple of related issues here which are covered quite widely if you search this and other forums.
To answer your questions -
1. The car can come with either. I have a GLC 43 which I thought would come with run-flats and it didn't. However see 2. below. If the tyres are run-flat, it will say so on the tyre. Yours look as if they are not.
2. There has been an issue of skipping/crabbing/ Ackerman effect with the GLC at or close to full lock. Lots of info online. One way of helping mask it is to fit softer compound tyres so MB have tended to avoid run-flats for this reason and are clearly experimenting with different manufacturers/ compounds. The last car I saw in a showroon fitted with your AMG-Line 20s actually had Vredestein all-seasons on it.
3. There is no spare wheel although some people (like me) have bought a space-saver which fits under the boot floor. However you should have a compressor and goo kit which is in a compartment to the left under the boot floor - it took me a couple of days to find it and the supplying dealer was unaware. Have a good look.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W140, W124, W169
Hi Guys,
I have 255/45-20 and 285/40 -20 Michelin Latitude Sport3 on my 2017 250d GLC Coupe (RHD) and having both crabbing and humming tires noise at all speed.

From articles, with crabbing I think it comes with RHD version and no solution for us so far, right. If yes, please let me learn. I live in Bangkok so no temperature dropping concern.

Since I have the car, the humming sound from the front tires at low speed is there (except on the well new paved asphalt surface) and getting worst after few thousand miles. This morning I went to the tire shop and tried 2 different made sets of old tires to check for the noise and all were making the same noise, more or less. I do not wish to spend on new set of tires where the problem is still there.
Wonder if you guys are having the same issue and how you solved the humming noise.

Thanks,