GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Remote Start ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 06:28 PM

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts
2023 GLE450
Remote Start ?

Can someone tell me why when remote starting the vehicle shuts off when you enter? Why not just stay running?
Old 12-31-2017, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300
If you were to unlock the door or if someone was to break in anyone could drive away. Once it's started you don't need the key to drive it.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Let me get this straight - your Remote Start your Mercedes - and while it's running you want someone to pick the driver's side door lock and be able to drive off with your Mercedes ?
Old 12-31-2017, 11:18 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Perhaps it's not as easy as it sounds, but MB could just program the vehicle to NOT move out of park unless it senses the key. So, break in all you want if the car is remote started, but it won't go anywhere. Sounds rather simple to me. ??
Old 01-01-2018, 08:08 AM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
Perhaps it's not as easy as it sounds, but MB could just program the vehicle to NOT move out of park unless it senses the key. So, break in all you want if the car is remote started, but it won't go anywhere. Sounds rather simple to me. ??
I agree it's a design choice. I'm sure they could program it they see the interior light go on or the car move out of park without the key present it can shut off automatically.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:45 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 GLC Coupe
My Jeep didn’t shut off when the door opened. If I got inside the car without a key, and pushed the brake, then it would shut off. This saved on the car restarting when I got inside
Old 01-01-2018, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300
Picking the lock isn't the only way to get in. If they want it bad enough they would break the window. I don't think someone stealing a car is going just drive around for a few years. You could also unlock the car remotely and it will shut off. It also won't start if the doors are unlocked. This is Mercedes way of helping you keep your car. I have a F-150 with remote start as well but it's not keyless, I can open the door and it stays running, but you need the keys to put in gear and drive it.

The remote start we are talking about is from the phone app when the car is out of view since the GLC doesn't have the remote start on the key fob.

Last edited by labmaster02; 01-01-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300 4Matic, Sport+Night
There's another thread on this, copy/pasting my comments below:

The remote start via the App is the WORST. Sounded great, but in practicality worthless. Assuming you have over half a tank and the app successfully sends the signal to start, why does the car need to turn off when you enter it? "Vehicle turned off because a door was opened" -- Yes, dumb *** car, it's me -- don't you recognize the key? (answer: of course you recognized the key, because you unlocked the door for me as I grabbed the handle / or I pressed unlock on the fob!) The solution is simple: If a door is opened without the key being present (e.g. a window break-in), then turn the engine off -- if key is present, leave engine on. In GM/Ford/Chrysler, if someone enters the car and presses the break pedal (which is needed to move it out of gear) without fully activating with key, the engine will turn off. GM and Chrysler have figured out no-hassle, key-fob remote start and MB gives us this?

But, if MB is going wants to go the "app" route (which is really more for added money revenue not as much for customer convenience) - why not also integrate heated-seat activation or temperature adjustment -- that would be a major value-add via with app on those super hot or cold days -- which the fob wouldn't be able to do. I will for sure not renew my free-trial.

On the topic of key-fob -- another annoyance is the window-down functionality. On my Acura, on super hot days, I could roll the windows down from a significant distance (awesome on a super hot day). With my new MB, I have to be almost within a few feet of it. Why?
Old 01-02-2018, 12:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300
Originally Posted by CasemLuke
But, if MB is going wants to go the "app" route (which is really more for added money revenue not as much for customer convenience)
Isn't it free for 5 years? That's longer than most new Mercedes owner will keep their car, since most are leased.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC300 Coupe
Originally Posted by CasemLuke
But, if MB is going wants to go the "app" route (which is really more for added money revenue not as much for customer convenience) - why not also integrate heated-seat activation or temperature adjustment -- that would be a major value-add via with app on those super hot or cold days -- which the fob wouldn't be able to do. I will for sure not renew my free-trial.
Agreed, with an app, we really should be able to have more control over the functions of the car. My dad recently purchased a Volvo S90 and can adjust the climate control via the app. Given that everything is electronically controlled to begin with, seems like it should be the obvious next step. It's not a huge deal (since I keep my settings on auto 99% of the time), but in the case of prepping the car for snow and ice removal after a storm, getting the rear defroster going would be nice to have.

And yes, having the car shut off when opening a door, even if the key is detected, seems a little short-sighted. I imagine that if the engineers had their way, they would have let it keep going, but perhaps the legal team in their infinite wisdom said otherwise. Just a thought.