GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Rear LED turn signals

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 01:43 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
GLC
Rear LED turn signals

If you have static LED or intelligent LED, can you verify whether your turn signal is between the two light bars, or below the light bars?

Is your car US spec, Euro, Asia....Etc?
is your turn signal amber or red color?

Thank you. I am thoroughly confused here. I can't get a straight answer from dealer, and they only have one car to show me. All the videos online are just making things more confusing. I am in the US btw.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:43 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
intelligent LED, on the bottom, in the area that looks like it has half circles in it
Old 02-11-2018, 02:22 PM

GLC
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
intelligent LED, on the bottom, in the area that looks like it has half circles in it
that is so bazaar. So where is your brake light? I was under the impression that turn signal is between the two bars, and brake light is below the two bars. Like all the videos I see on YouTube. I wonder if this is an American special.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by openwheelracing
that is so bazaar. So where is your brake light? I was under the impression that turn signal is between the two bars, and brake light is below the two bars. Like all the videos I see on YouTube. I wonder if this is an American special.
i believe the brake light is just the other two lights getting brighter no?

will have to find an assistant to press the breakes for me so i can check.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:34 PM

GLC
This is obvious European GLC.

Last edited by openwheelracing; 02-11-2018 at 02:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ajmtbm (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 03:05 PM

GLC

I wonder if we can rewire it for the amber turn signal.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:41 PM

i don't like the amber turn signal.always liked monocolor in teh rear
seems like US and Euro specs are different. i'm guessing laws are different?
Old 02-11-2018, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Turn signal has to be amber in UK.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:06 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
If you have static LED or intelligent LED, can you verify whether your turn signal is between the two light bars, or below the light bars?

Thank you. I am thoroughly confused here. I can't get a straight answer from dealer, and they only have one car to show me. All the videos online are just making things more confusing. I am in the US btw.
1. US Spec GLC43 = Bottom or below light bars.
2. Red color.

I believe it's a difference in US vs Euro laws. That said, I wish the US would, I hate to say it, mandate the "amber" or different color rear turn signal, as to me it is 10x safer because you notice the different color vs it being the same color as the rest of the rear lights. I haven't looked for MB, but I know for BMW there are some retailers in the US that sell the Euro spec taillights.

Last edited by Chrisk03; 02-11-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:42 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 ML350

I have a GLC300 wagon; was behind a GLC300 coupe the other day and its brake and turn signal lights are wider (extend more to the center). But still same bulbs for brake and turn.;
Old 02-12-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300 4Matic, Sport+Night
Yup, in EU (maybe rest of world), the turn signals are amber, in the white/clear area of the tail light. In the US/Canada the turn signals are simply the red brake lights. I really hate this;such a strange nuance. I see plenty of amber turn signals in the US on other cars, so not convinced this is law. I wish there was a way to program the intended/designed amber turn signals to work, but when I look closer at the tail light, I don't believe they included any LED in that "section" of the tail light. Hazard lights & turn signals should be separate from BRAKE lights.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 ML350
Originally Posted by CasemLuke
Yup, in EU (maybe rest of world), the turn signals are amber, in the white/clear area of the tail light. In the US/Canada the turn signals are simply the red brake lights. I really hate this;such a strange nuance. I see plenty of amber turn signals in the US on other cars, so not convinced this is law. I wish there was a way to program the intended/designed amber turn signals to work, but when I look closer at the tail light, I don't believe they included any LED in that "section" of the tail light. Hazard lights & turn signals should be separate from BRAKE lights.
MB taillights used to have amber. My first one that didn't was my ML550 that had LED taillights. At the time I assumed there was a problem making amber LED lights. But I've seen other makes with them.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic, 2021 BMW R1200GS
It looks like manufacturers may use either red or yellow rear turn signals to comply with USA department of transportation regulations.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...sec571-108.xml

I read somewhere that manufactures think US customers want red signals vice amber, so that’s what we get.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:29 PM

GLC
Alright, who is brave enough to remove their tail light and see if we can simply rewire to the amber bulb.?
Old 02-12-2018, 10:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300 4Matic, Sport+Night

On the Left Taillight: No LED Diodes... on left side module, Diodes on right side of the module
Alright, who is brave enough to remove their tail light and see if we can simply rewire to the amber bulb.?
But first hear me out -- if you take a bright flash light and look IN and UP in the clear polycarbonate section of the rear taillight area -- I can see the "diode bulbs" which are glued in place for the rear Red Fog lights (left), and I can see the reverse light diode bulbs, but in what would be the amber bulbs, I don't see any of the bulbs glued in that section... do yall agree? Here is a photo to help explain what the heck I'm talking about. It would be helpful if someone sent an EU photo of their taillight, similar view as this...
point is... even if we could re-wire/program, there are no amber diodes in the module-unit...
As you can see, this has annoyed me for almost a year... especially since I travel to Europe at least once a month and when I see another GLC flashing it's amber turn signals... drives me crazy. However (and similarly), BMW and Audi's have the same problem: EU turn signals are much better looking, but in the US, we get a solid one-chunk red turn signal to be used for brakes and turning. Not sure why the Germans think they need to do this differently.