GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

MB Stop Sales of GLC 300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC 300 4Matic, '69 Nova 350
Angry MB Stop Sales of GLC 300

Has anyone been able to verify a "Stop Sales for GLC 300" today? I have been working for almost a week on a deal for a 2018 GLC 4Matic and was just told MB placed a stop sales for them until further notice.

Update: Contacted MB dealer in Tysons Corner, Va. Stop sales due to Rear Seatbelt safety recall correction issue. Hopefully dealers have parts in stock and can get cars ready by end of the week...

Last edited by RicanDoc; 03-28-2018 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 03-28-2018, 04:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by RicanDoc
Has anyone been able to verify a "Stop Sales for GLC 300" today? I have been working for almost a week on a deal for a 2018 GLC 4Matic and was just told MB placed a stop sales for them until further notice.
Yikes! I just placed an order. I'll check with my dealership.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by DDGator
Please do let me know wheat you find out. I was working on a great end of the month/quarter deal for a 2018 GLC 4Matic and was told of the Stop Sales by my sales rep... I'm calling other dealers to verify...
Old 03-28-2018, 04:45 PM

Contacted MB dealer in Tysons Corner, Va. Stop sales due to Rear Seatbelt safety recall correction issue. Hopefully dealers have parts in stock and can get cars ready by end of the week...
Old 03-28-2018, 07:16 PM

2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by RicanDoc
Contacted MB dealer in Tysons Corner, Va. Stop sales due to Rear Seatbelt safety recall correction issue. Hopefully dealers have parts in stock and can get cars ready by end of the week...
My dealer confirmed. Stop sell on all GLC 300W for a rear seat belt buckle issue. My dealership has the parts already and will start fixing them tomorrow. My vehicle isn't built yet, so no problem for me at all.

Sounds like this will be worked out quickly!
Old 03-28-2018, 07:20 PM

That's great they are able to correct without delay on your order. I'm hoping my dealer can get on the ball and correct the issue on the one I'm working on so we can deal this weekend and save me the extra cash...
Old 03-29-2018, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I hate to be the messenger here - but dealer's DO NOT HAVE PARTS to address this Stop Sale - whoever's dealer in Florida said otherwise to Mr Future Order shows that either (a) that dealer doesn't know what he is talking about or (b) they lie when they can get away with it

Frankly - expect a LONG HARD ROAD on this one - (1) it was unexpected and (2) correct part/action has not yet been finalized... situation can change, but again reasonable expect a long hard road.

Pre-owned GLC's at the dealership are unaffected and can be sold - action regarding sold GLC's has not yet been determined..

This is a issue where the seat belt can appear/feel that it is locked in - but it is really not and will give on impact..
Old 03-29-2018, 07:31 AM

2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
- whoever's dealer in Florida said otherwise to Mr Future Order
I may be misunderstanding the tone, but why are you referring to me as "whoever" or "Mr Future Order" when my name is right there? Are you trying to discredit my information?

I was merely passing along information I obtained in writing from my dealer. If it's wrong, I don't have a dog in that fight and I'm curious to know the whole story. It might be nice if you disclosed the basis for your information. I see you have been here a long time -- you may very well know, I don't doubt that at all. But some sourcing when you are calling out other people might be helpful.

And for the record, I am "Mr Current Order" or "Mr Future Build Slot" to be accurate. I have an order pending.

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
MITCH1975 (04-05-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 09:49 AM

GLC300
Just bought a GLC300 4 Matic yesterday. My dealer didn't tell me anything about the seatbelt issue. What should I do now?
Old 03-30-2018, 09:59 AM

I would contact your dealer first thing and bring up the issue.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:12 AM

2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by coldwinter
Just bought a GLC300 4 Matic yesterday. My dealer didn't tell me anything about the seatbelt issue. What should I do now?
I would definitely inquire if it was fixed yesterday before delivery (which we are told was impossible) or not. Then get on the list for a replacement part if needed.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
My apologies - I have been told parts are now available - and approved fix is in place - situation changed.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:44 AM

GLC300
I would definitely inquire if it was fixed yesterday before delivery (which we are told was impossible) or not. Then get on the list for a replacement part if needed.
Thanks! I just called and they were obviously aware of the issue. They checked and said my car was on the recall list and asked me to bring it in to have the part replaced. Do they have the responsibility to tell customers about such kind of issue before selling it?

Last edited by coldwinter; 03-30-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
We bought ours last Saturday and were told Wednesday for pickup. Then we couldn't... precisely for this issue. Yesterday I was called and told it's all good now.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Certain 2018 GLC's - Dealer Repair Process Attached

I have attached the repair guide for this "recall" issued March 29th - the issue is on certain 2018 GLC's - no earlier GLC model year has been mentioned yet - this involves the outboard rear seat belt buckles - on those outboard seat belts - when unfastened - it is possible for the retracting seat belt action to retract and pull the seat belt buckle back into the rear cabin pillars. With the seat belt buckle "buried" into the rear cabin pillar - the next passenger will not have a seat belt buckle to grab and refasten their seat belt - hence the safety issue.

On the "recall repair" for those specific 2018 GLC's - as the repair process shows - the rear pillars are opened - a hole drilled into the seat belt mechanism behind the cabin pillar - and a "rubber stop" installed in that hole that "stop"/prevents the seat belt buckle from retracting back into the cabin pillar. These rubber stops are not "huge" - but have been designed and tested to take care of the issue.

Parts have been expedited to dealers for their on-the-ground 2018 GLC inventory as of March 28 - additional parts will be expedited to dealers for new GLC inventory in transit or in route now to dealer - and then production fix is being implemented in Europe on 2018 GLC production in the next few days.

For those 2018 GLC's with this issue that have already been sold to customers - there will be a Customer Recall issued in the next 2-3 weeks by letter and entered into the VMI for those 2018 GLC's that are affected - that recall will also cover all pre-owned 2018 GLC's that have been sold - or will be sold to customers in this period - recall will be no charge of course.

For those that already own a 2018 GLC - now you know what the problem "can be" - and by checking your outboard rear seat belts you can easily check if this has already happened to you - personally my guys have not been reported by any of our customers yet - but you can certainly check your GLC right away.

Please understand your dealer cannot easily implement the fix for your 2018 GLC - until the VMI on your GLC has been marked by Mercedes USA covered under this recall.

Overall the "rubber stops" themselves are close to zero cost - parts is not a big deal - however as the repair process shows - proper installation of these "rubber stops" will likely take 1-1 1/2 shop hours .
Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
waylo (03-30-2018)
Old 03-30-2018, 09:36 PM

GLC300
I have attached the repair guide for this "recall" issued March 29th - the issue is on certain 2018 GLC's - no earlier GLC model year has been mentioned yet - this involves the outboard rear seat belt buckles - on those outboard seat belts - when unfastened - it is possible for the retracting seat belt action to retract and pull the seat belt buckle back into the rear cabin pillars. With the seat belt buckle "buried" into the rear cabin pillar - the next passenger will not have a seat belt buckle to grab and refasten their seat belt - hence the safety issue.

On the "recall repair" for those specific 2018 GLC's - as the repair process shows - the rear pillars are opened - a hole drilled into the seat belt mechanism behind the cabin pillar - and a "rubber stop" installed in that hole that "stop"/prevents the seat belt buckle from retracting back into the cabin pillar. These rubber stops are not "huge" - but have been designed and tested to take care of the issue.

Parts have been expedited to dealers for their on-the-ground 2018 GLC inventory as of March 28 - additional parts will be expedited to dealers for new GLC inventory in transit or in route now to dealer - and then production fix is being implemented in Europe on 2018 GLC production in the next few days.

For those 2018 GLC's with this issue that have already been sold to customers - there will be a Customer Recall issued in the next 2-3 weeks by letter and entered into the VMI for those 2018 GLC's that are affected - that recall will also cover all pre-owned 2018 GLC's that have been sold - or will be sold to customers in this period - recall will be no charge of course.

For those that already own a 2018 GLC - now you know what the problem "can be" - and by checking your outboard rear seat belts you can easily check if this has already happened to you - personally my guys have not been reported by any of our customers yet - but you can certainly check your GLC right away.

Please understand your dealer cannot easily implement the fix for your 2018 GLC - until the VMI on your GLC has been marked by Mercedes USA covered under this recall.

Overall the "rubber stops" themselves are close to zero cost - parts is not a big deal - however as the repair process shows - proper installation of these "rubber stops" will likely take 1-1 1/2 shop hours .
Thanks for the information! Were dealers allowed to sell in-stock new 2018 GLCs on the recall list March 29th?
Old 03-31-2018, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
"Technically" MB dealers can only sell/deliver a Stop-Sale 2018 GLC after the repair has been done and logged into the VMI. That said technically paperwork/contracts can be done - with customer delivery and sale reported to Mercedes only when repair completed and logged in VMI for that MB...
Old 03-31-2018, 05:11 AM

GLC300
"Technically" MB dealers can only sell/deliver a Stop-Sale 2018 GLC after the repair has been done and logged into the VMI. That said technically paperwork/contracts can be done - with customer delivery and sale reported to Mercedes only when repair completed and logged in VMI for that MB...
My dealer sold the car to me and let me drive it home Thursday night without telling me anything about the issue. If I had known the issue, i wouldn't have bought it Thursday (I was not in a hurry but they wanted to sell as many as possible by this weekend). Now my VIN yields an error on MBUSA's recall site. Should I bring it back to the dealership to have the repair work done asap or wait for the official recall notice from MB? I just feel like being fooled and don't understand how the system allowed customer delivery for a stop-sale car...
Old 03-31-2018, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
If you bought as a new/new car - I am sure you can work it out with your dealer fairly quickly. Frankly - as a voluntary recall goes - it's really a "minor" kind-of-thing - I personally haven't seen it happen yet. If you purchased a "demo" or "retired loaner" then Stop Sales was not up on those.

I would say rest easy and link up with your dealer this next week..
Old 04-02-2018, 11:16 AM

GLC300
If you bought as a new/new car - I am sure you can work it out with your dealer fairly quickly. Frankly - as a voluntary recall goes - it's really a "minor" kind-of-thing - I personally haven't seen it happen yet. If you purchased a "demo" or "retired loaner" then Stop Sales was not up on those.

I would say rest easy and link up with your dealer this next week..
Yes, it's a new car, so I was surprised that my dealer didn't inform me of anything about the seatbelt issue until I called and asked them after seeing the post here.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Last week was kindof crazy on the MB side on this specific issue - and how/when each dealer was able to put (and then pull) stop sale on in-stock/selling GLC's was a bit ill-defined in the 48 hrs this went down... no real worries..
Old 04-09-2018, 02:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 300
It is illegal to sell new cars in the United States that are the subject of a pending recall. Dealers can do the paperwork, but it is illegal to actually "deliver" a car until the recall issue has been fixed. I bought a car during this period as well, and the dealer said they could not let any cars leave their lot until the fix was completed, which I thought was a good thing for many reasons. The dealership then prioritized cars for the fix that had paperwork underway. This seemed the appropriate way to handle it and ensured a good experience when taking actual delivery. Seems not too cool to have to schedule an appointment and go back to the dealer for a fix when he was not legally able to sell it. But, hope it's been taken care of and you had a good experience in the end.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:54 PM

2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by Scoho
It is illegal to sell new cars in the United States that are the subject of a pending recall. Dealers can do the paperwork, but it is illegal to actually "deliver" a car until the recall issue has been fixed. I bought a car during this period as well, and the dealer said they could not let any cars leave their lot until the fix was completed, which I thought was a good thing for many reasons. The dealership then prioritized cars for the fix that had paperwork underway. This seemed the appropriate way to handle it and ensured a good experience when taking actual delivery. Seems not too cool to have to schedule an appointment and go back to the dealer for a fix when he was not legally able to sell it. But, hope it's been taken care of and you had a good experience in the end.
From what I have heard there was an internal "stop sell" order on new GLCs. There is not a recall -- so nothing is "illegal" if that is the case.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 cls550
I browse these forums everyday and I'll tell you all I see is problems with the GLC. Moreso than any other model. By far.
​​​​​​
Old 04-09-2018, 03:11 PM

GLC300
Originally Posted by Scoho
Thanks for the information! If I had known the issue before buying it, I would have waited for one with a redesigned c-pillar paneling made after March 8. I guess the new design is different from adding a buffer element to the c-pillar paneling of those made before March 9?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB Stop Sales of GLC 300