GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Fuel on Reserve

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 11:21 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Fuel on Reserve

From the COMAND manual describing the Fuel on reserve function: Function activated: once the reserve fuel tank level is reached, a message appears to help you start a gas station search.

Im assuming there is no "separate" tank but merely a level at which is considered low fuel does anyone know how many gallons remaining when this appears?
Old 10-19-2018, 01:12 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
I’ve had the gas station search come on any time I’ve hit the last bar on the fuel gauge and driven a few miles. That usually comes on and shows a range of 60-75 miles. I figure I have about 3 gallons left at that point based on what I pump in.

I was really pushing it a couple of weeks ago, returning from vacation and was close to home. By the time I got to a “Top Tier” Shell station, at which point I think the gas pump in the cluster had turned yellow or orange to indicate Reserve, I pumped in 17 gallons with no topping off. Capacity is 17.4 gals. so I was down to .4 gals after driving a very few miles after I noticed the change in color. When it goes to Reserve, you better be getting some gas very soon!
The following users liked this post:
ajmtbm (10-22-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 11:03 AM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
Originally Posted by ajmtbm
Im assuming there is no "separate" tank but merely a level at which is considered low fuel does anyone know how many gallons remaining when this appears?
The fuel gauge on most German vehicles is realistic. It's basically empty once the gauge blanks out.

In my GLC the reserve warning comes at about 60 miles of range remaining. It drops to one bar and then the single bar starts flashing. When I have filled up at that point I had less than one gallon left based on the how much fuel it took.

The following users liked this post:
ajmtbm (10-22-2018)