GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Trade GLK on a GLC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 02:34 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
GLK250 2014
Trade GLK on a GLC?

Anyone trade a GLK on a GLC? Is there really any noticeable difference in cargo space with passenger seats up & down?

We are actually looking at a Subaru Outback because it has more cargo space (and likely better re-sale value). However, we are MB people, for better or worse!

Posted on GLK forum:
Some MB advertising claims a larger cargo capacity for the newer GLC. This may be marginally true depending on how you look at it.

Some dimensions:
Floor from tailgate to back of front seats GLK 65.9" ; GLC 61.3"
Floor from tailgate to back of pass. seats GLK 35" ; GLC 36.6"
Width at wheel wells GLK 37.4" GLC 43.3"
Height of cargo area GLK 33.7" GLC 31.8"
Volume of cargo area GLK 54.7 cu.ft. GLC 56.5 cu.ft

Based on above published figures, GLC cargo volume is slightly larger. This despite the length to back seat being 4.6" shorter and the height being 1.9" less. Presumablt volume is higher because width at wheel wells is greater on the GLC. A calculation shows cargo floor area is 19.83 sq.ft on GLK vs 21.3 sq,ft on GLC.

GLK is barely big enough for us when we pack it to head South for winter. We were hoping the GLC would be a bit bigger, but isn't by much.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Not quite helpful but I went from a GLA to GLC specifically for the space. I've driven many GLK loaners and will say the GLC feels more spacious which makes me think that the extra space gained is in the passenger section and your numbers seem to back it. The one useful tidbit I can offer is the thoughtfulness of the rear seat functionality on the GLC... on GLK, my driver seat position forced me to manually move the seat up before dropping rears and they were always angled pretty severely still.

In the GLC, pushing the flip down button figures out that my driver seat is a bit too far back, moves it up, drops the seats, no drama. The rear seats are also much flatter than in the GLA. I just brought home 6' long (2m) posts from the lumber yard in the back with door closed. We bought the GLC to carry more stuff as we tend to drive solo in our cars most of the time. So get the smallest big car possible was the goal for my replacement. It really depends on what you need that cargo space for. Consider too, if it's for road trips - the Thule roof shuttle is really great - not cheap - but really great and consider how often you do that vs just regular grocery or warehouse store runs you do.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:15 AM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by peet
Not quite helpful but I went from a GLA to GLC specifically for the space. I've driven many GLK loaners and will say the GLC feels more spacious which makes me think that the extra space gained is in the passenger section and your numbers seem to back it. The one useful tidbit I can offer is the thoughtfulness of the rear seat functionality on the GLC... on GLK, my driver seat position forced me to manually move the seat up before dropping rears and they were always angled pretty severely still.

In the GLC, pushing the flip down button figures out that my driver seat is a bit too far back, moves it up, drops the seats, no drama. The rear seats are also much flatter than in the GLA. I just brought home 6' long (2m) posts from the lumber yard in the back with door closed. We bought the GLC to carry more stuff as we tend to drive solo in our cars most of the time. So get the smallest big car possible was the goal for my replacement. It really depends on what you need that cargo space for. Consider too, if it's for road trips - the Thule roof shuttle is really great - not cheap - but really great and consider how often you do that vs just regular grocery or warehouse store runs you do.
Thanks for input.

We do have a Thule box and roof bars for our GLK. We have used the box when we head South for winter. Getting box on and off is not that easy, and then where do we put it when away from home for 3 months. So we leave it on. It adds quite a bit to fuel consumption. (We have done same trip 4 times, twice with box.) Does help us find our car! We don't use car as daily driver - Trips South in winter and occasional inter city LD are main use. Only used for grocery shopping when away
Old 11-06-2018, 10:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 300
There is a thread in the GLK forum about the GLK vs GLC that might be helpful.

I leased a 2014 GLK and then leased my current 2017 GLC 300. While the GLC might be roomier and have better gas mileage, I enjoyed driving the GLK more. Most specifically, I thought the leather seats on the GLK were much more comfortable than those in the GLC. Also, the GLK radio had better reception. As others note in this forum, the GLC radio reception is sometimes weak. Lastly, I liked having the numeric keypad on the GLK.

Last edited by BlueRidge; 11-06-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:58 AM

GLK250 2014
Originally Posted by BlueRidge
There is a thread in the GLK forum about the GLK vs GLC that might be helpful.

I leased a 2014 GLK and then leased my current 2017 GLC 300. While the GLC might be roomier and have better gas mileage, I enjoyed driving the GLK more. Most specifically, I thought the leather seats on the GLK were much more comfortable than those in the GLC. Also, the GLK radio had better reception. As others note in this forum, the GLC radio reception is sometimes weak. Lastly, I liked having the numeric keypad on the GLK.
I may have seen that thread in GLK forum, but will go take another look. We have a GLK250, so will take a hit on mileage. But with what these cars cost, fuel consumption seems important to us, but not really. We only do about 10k km pa in this car, so a difference of say 2l/100km (7.5mpg) is 200L of fuel (53gal) or about US$150-230 per year.

I haven't driven the GLC yet, but do love the sporty feel and comfort of the GLK250. Amazing for a diesel. Just too bad the Bluetec adds so much complexity to diesels that gas cars just don't have. It used to be the reverse!

Interesting about radio. However, on long road trips radio isn't much use, so we play our own tunes via USB port!

Last edited by 107123210; 11-06-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 300
Your comment “do love the sporty feel and comfort of the GLK250” rings true to me. After my post, I mentioned to my wife that when driving our GLC 300 I feel that I am driving a car, though when I was driving our GLK, I felt like I was driving something that was an extension of me and not just a car. Not sure if that makes sense. Perhaps it was the smaller size of the GLK.