GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Google maps directions on dash instrument cluster?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 250
Google maps directions on dash instrument cluster?

Recently took delivery of my new GLC 250. Great so far. Only covered 250 miles and have been playing with the nav and android Auto feature, looking for help confirming something though.

I may be imagining it, but I'm sure when I first used android Auto and Google maps it showed the navigation detail on the driver's instrument panel in front of the steering wheel is this right? However when I now use android Auto, scrolling to navi it just shows the text "android Auto active" Have I mis-remembered?

Mercedes / Garmin directions working fine on the instrument panel for the in built sat nav as it should.

All other aspects of android Auto working also working well.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2018, 05:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
Hey, @obtc101 , I can't help you with your problem, as my 2017 isn't Android Auto-capable. If I were to speculate, my guess would be that it would be unlikely for AA (or CarPlay) to support this sort of display, as it would not be standardized across all car makes and models, greatly increasing support requirements for Google and/or Mercedes.

(I can understand that you want an answer to this question. We're a friendly, helpful forum with members who try to assist as best we can. If no one is answering a question, it's most likely because no one has information that would be useful. There's no need to post another thread asking the same question less than 24 hours after your original post. Relax and give it some time! Enjoy all the other aspects of your amazing new vehicle!)
Old 12-13-2018, 02:18 AM

GLC 250
Originally Posted by midesaka
Hey, @obtc101 , I can't help you with your problem, as my 2017 isn't Android Auto-capable. If I were to speculate, my guess would be that it would be unlikely for AA (or CarPlay) to support this sort of display, as it would not be standardized across all car makes and models, greatly increasing support requirements for Google and/or Mercedes.

(I can understand that you want an answer to this question. We're a friendly, helpful forum with members who try to assist as best we can. If no one is answering a question, it's most likely because no one has information that would be useful. There's no need to post another thread asking the same question less than 24 hours after your original post. Relax and give it some time! Enjoy all the other aspects of your amazing new vehicle!)
Thanks for the reply. Appreciated.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:05 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
GLC
It works for me. 2018 GLC300 with base audio and Android Auto. It displays nav instruction on the driver dash center screen.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:00 AM

GLC 250
Originally Posted by openwheelracing
It works for me. 2018 GLC300 with base audio and Android Auto. It displays nav instruction on the driver dash center screen.
Thanks ​​​​​. interesting on nav instructions, and just to check is that both the mercedes and Google nav instructions showing OK? . no idea why mine shows "android Auto active" when using Google maps. my mercedes ones show fine on the instrument panel
Old 12-15-2018, 02:39 AM

GLC 250
Originally Posted by obtc101
Thanks ​​​​​. interesting on nav instructions, and just to check is that both the mercedes and Google nav instructions showing OK? . no idea why mine shows "android Auto active" when using Google maps. my mercedes ones show fine on the instrument panel
So after some research found a Google discussion thread here https://support.google.com/androidauto/forum/AAAA6SY52nI9U2N6d5mYV0/?hl=en

Basically it's caused by a recent Google maps update. Until they change or fix this bug, only way to get directions on the instrument panel is downgrade Google maps to a previous version. I've tried this and it works. Just a shame you have to use an old version of maps.