GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC350e technical questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC 350e
GLC350e technical questions

Fellow riders, I have some questions regarding technologies used in the hybrid variant of GLC.
1) How is interior heating solved? Heating works immediately after switching the car on, even without petrol engine. So even if there is a classical system that provides heating with engine coolant (is there one?), there must be yet another system present. What is it? A heat pump, a.k.a. inverter airco? Or a simple resistive heater powered by traction (high voltage) battery? I assume that the airconditioning is powered from traction battery anyway (similar to Lexus), or do they still use belt-driven compressor?
2) How is motor oil circulated? In other words, is there an electric motor oil pump, or do they use the old system where the oil pump is powered from the camshaft/crankshaft/timing chain? This is relevant, because in a hybrid where the petrol engine is supercharged and the engine switches off frequently, the turbocompressor would have to run without lubrication regularly if no oil pressure is generated by electric pump: a recipe for disaster.
3) which tricks do you use to bring the petrol engine to normal working temperature? I mean this scenario: on a cold morning you get off to work. You go off slowly through the residential area, your battery charged fully overnight, so the petrol engine remains off. Then you reach the highway, step on it, the petrol engine kicks in, but now you demand normal cruising speed from cold engine: a recipe for disaster. You can use the E-SAVE mode, but this isn't always enough. I developed 2 tactics: switch the engine to "Sport" mode, which forces the petrol engine to run at all times. Or go electric to about 2/3 of the battery capacity, then switch to "Charge", which also forces the petrol engine to run. Let the engine run until at least 80°C is reached, then revert to normal mode.
What do you think?
Old 03-08-2019, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 350e
Hi,

Did you get an answer for 1 and 2? also for number 3 i personally leave the car on e-save that way I have fuel savings during the morning rush but once the car reaches approximately 40 km or I accelerate slightly faster the car will turn on the ICE engine hence warming up the oil and the fluids. Finally, I've noticed that during winter the electric-only mode is disabled I believe it is to warm up the engine or because the battery pack is too cold during winter morning when the car is at its coldest. But once I start driving after a couple of minutes the functions is available again without losing range so there probably is an auxiliary heating mechanism. I did a test once by scheduling the pre-entry climate to warm up the cabin before setting off and the electric-only mode was available so if there isn't an auxiliary heating system for the engine at least there is one for the Battery Pack.