GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

On the fence

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glc 300
On the fence

Hello all, I am new to this thread and happy I found it! Need some help, I am on the fence about purchasing a used MB GLC 300. I am CONSTANTLY being warned against MB. Being told maintenance is a PIA and extremely expensive. Can anyone advise me on this? Please give me some pros and cons. Also considering a private seller vs dealer as to avoid licensing fees? Help!!! TIA
Old 02-19-2019, 10:39 AM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 EQB300
You'll get a ton of opinions here. I would personally buy a CPO from dealer and negotiate for maintenance and warranty. Service on all of these German cars is expensive-- I've owned Audi, MB and BMW. Basically if you want to drive one of these vehicles, understand that the ultimate cost of the vehicle is not just what you pay for it but what it will cost you to operate. Having owned both Audi and BMW, I chose to lease my GLC300 so that I could have warranty and maintenance (optional but worthwhile cost, particularly because you can negotiate price) and drive it relatively expense free for 3 years. Then start all over with another vehicle. I suspect that the same could be said for many other vehicles in a similar price range-- Range Rover, Jaguar, Volvo, etc. If you do purchase from private seller, have the car checked by MB dealer or trusted indie shop. And buy a warranty.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 GLC 300 4-Matic
I agree with nsoltz 100%. I only lease my vehicles because like BMW here in Canada they do come with free maintenance for 4-years or you can get the pre-paid package with a steep discount if you can negotiate. Leasing for 3-4 years is ideal as long as you don't drive more than the KM allowance for the car's warranty (usually 80,000km/4 years).

But as for a direct answer to your question, I'd buy a CPO from a MB dealer with maintenance package o make sure most of the items are covered. I'd never buy a German/luxury car from a private dealer unless I 100% trust them.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,925 Likes on 3,091 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Princess, do the people advising you have experience with Mercedes-Benz vehicles?

Total cost of ownership has different flavors according to brand. These are broad sweeping statements but are not far off:
- American cars: cheap price, low to moderate maintenance cost, disintegrate quickly
- German cars: moderate to high price, moderate to high maintenance cost, long life
- Japanese specifically Toyota and Honda (including Lexus and Acura): moderate to high price, low to moderate maintenance cost, long life

Lexus in my opinion is now in the sweet spot of total cost of ownership in the luxury segment.

It is a personal choice between brand image, specific features and performance levels, and total cost of ownership. I choose Mercedes. My wife chooses Lexus. Others choose as they choose. There is no right or best answer.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:18 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 GLC 300
I second the recommendation: buy CPO from a Mercedes dealer. It's one of the best automotive bargains going if you drive more than 50,000 miles in four years, as I do. The CPO warranty is unlimited for a total of five years from the time the car was originally placed in service, and you can buy two additional years.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1995 E300D, 1992 300SD, 2011 E350 BlueTec
I suggest a CPO also but with one catch. Find one with many, many options. When someone that hasn't had a MB before buys a basic model C class it's easy to be disappointed. To enjoy a Mercedes you need the goodies that make it a real standout from your last ride.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:54 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
You should be able to make a deal on a new GLC300 for less than a CPO. MB subsidizes their leases and there are always deals to be had. Shop the last few days of the month, that's when they're really incentivized to make a deal. I remember one deal I make where I sat them out and they stayed open late and I saved another $1500. With a 3 year lease you never have to worry about repairs and if you can get them to throw in 2 years of required maint you're home free. The reason I say 2 years is because you can turn the car in at the latest the day before the 3 years and technically it doesn't need the 3rd maintenance. Also, MB will usually try to pull you forward and put you in a new MB anywhere from 3-6 months before the end of the lease and waive the remaining payments. I have no idea why MB subsidizes their leases that way but it's real and good for you.