For Anyone Having Recent CarPlay Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 05:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
For Anyone Having Recent CarPlay Problems

Problem : Customer's reports their CarPlay has stopped working - or that their CarPlay is showing "Scrambled Screen"

Suspected Cause: recent iPhone software update from Apple has corrupted the current CarPlay connection between the iPhone and the Mercedes

Quick 1 Minute Solution That Should Work: without coming into Service - in less than a minute - you will easily remove the Old CarPlay Connection in your iPhone now - and setup a new and fresh CarPlay Connection that should take care of this problem 100%

1. Unplug iPhone from CarPlay Cable

2. Go to SETTINGS and Open

3. In Settings - Scroll Down to General and Open

4. In General - Scroll Down to CarPlay and Open

5. In CarPlay - Swipe "MB Infotainment" to Left - Hit "Forget

6. Return to Home Screen

7. Plug iPhone Into CarPlay Cable - should make fresh CarPlay Connection with your Mercedes

The following 2 users liked this post by fabbrisd1:
aaron1515 (04-17-2020), Wxchaser (10-24-2020)
Old 10-09-2019, 02:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gla
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Problem : Customer's reports their CarPlay has stopped working - or that their CarPlay is showing "Scrambled Screen"

Suspected Cause: recent iPhone software update from Apple has corrupted the current CarPlay connection between the iPhone and the Mercedes

Quick 1 Minute Solution That Should Work: without coming into Service - in less than a minute - you will easily remove the Old CarPlay Connection in your iPhone now - and setup a new and fresh CarPlay Connection that should take care of this problem 100%

1. Unplug iPhone from CarPlay Cable

2. Go to SETTINGS and Open

3. In Settings - Scroll Down to General and Open

4. In General - Scroll Down to CarPlay and Open

5. In CarPlay - Swipe "MB Infotainment" to Left - Hit "Forget

6. Return to Home Screen

7. Plug iPhone Into CarPlay Cable - should make fresh CarPlay Connection with your Mercedes

I have tried this and it doesn't work, any other suggestions as how to fix it?
The following users liked this post:
Pam Ball (02-18-2020)
Old 10-09-2019, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
The other thing that worked for me when the two stop playing together - unplug phone, hold power button next to scroller wheel... wait wait wait... takes about 7 or so seconds before it reboots the infotainment. Then re-plug the phone.
The following 2 users liked this post by peet:
nassim312 (08-03-2023), Wxchaser (10-24-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 09:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by peet
The other thing that worked for me when the two stop playing together - unplug phone, hold power button next to scroller wheel... wait wait wait... takes about 7 or so seconds before it reboots the infotainment. Then re-plug the phone.
I’ve tried both of your solutions and still no luck... 🤔
Old 03-04-2020, 09:43 AM

2019 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by connereed
I’ve tried both of your solutions and still no luck... 🤔
Powering off my phone with the suggestions above did the trick
The following users liked this post:
SDMasterschamp (05-30-2021)
Old 03-05-2020, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could you expand on exactly what you did? Thanks.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:56 PM

2019 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by wsscott
Could you expand on exactly what you did? Thanks.
I followed their directions above. Then, before connecting my phone again, I reset my phone (turned it off and then back on) and it worked.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:29 PM

GLK 350
I did both, reboot the GLC300 audio system as well as erase/reboot of the iPhone. Fixed the issue. Thanks for the helpful posts!!
Old 07-02-2020, 07:22 AM

MB GLE400
Originally Posted by connereed
I followed their directions above. Then, before connecting my phone again, I reset my phone (turned it off and then back on) and it worked.
Same issue... followed directions above (forget MBInf..., reset Audio System (7 or more seconds holding on/off) in the MB, reset my iPhone (turned it off then back on) and voilà!!
Thank you all!!
Old 07-31-2020, 02:38 PM

C230
I tried disconnect and restablish connection... not worked
i tried to close all open apps.... not worked
i tried to reboot phone (shoot it down and back on)... worked for some time but returned
mercedes diler give instructions that make my phone to be reset to factory, no added apps... I refuse to do this, I have apps I use for work like word, spreadsheets, pdf reader, etc...

i have friend with different brands of vehicles and non of them ever for year of ownership ever had this issues... is this Mercedes issue... they refused to admited..
i am very upset, I purchased a brand new “quality luxury” car to have this happen when you less expected with people in the car and you try to “show up your buitiful car and then?”. Not good.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic
Which iPhone do you have and iOS version are you running? Have you tried a new cable and specifically an Apple cable or third party cable?
Old 07-31-2020, 04:22 PM

C230
My phone is X3 Max with the latest version, my wife started with same model and she updated to the 11 max thinking that fix the problem, without any results. She LIS have the latest version. We tried the cable that. Ame with the car, and also the Apple cables, plus some others 3rd party.
i took the new Mercedes to service like one month after taken ownership, they keep the car for about 1 week, returned to me with the knowledge that there is a problem and that MB is working o. It... 1 year later still no calls from them, I called, I emailed to service advisor and no response. I took it to another dealership Nd they gave me that white paper that tell me to reset to factory and not add any apps..
upseting
Old 07-31-2020, 04:27 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by jjerez
My phone is X3 Max with the latest version, my wife started with same model and she updated to the 11 max thinking that fix the problem, without any results. She LIS have the latest version. We tried the cable that. Ame with the car, and also the Apple cables, plus some others 3rd party.
i took the new Mercedes to service like one month after taken ownership, they keep the car for about 1 week, returned to me with the knowledge that there is a problem and that MB is working o. It... 1 year later still no calls from them, I called, I emailed to service advisor and no response. I took it to another dealership Nd they gave me that white paper that tell me to reset to factory and not add any apps..
upseting
What problems are you encountering? Does it not load when connecting? Or does it have a scrambled picture? Or does it disconnect randomly? I had a problem with mine not seeming to load when I connected the cable. I would see a prompt on the screen for CarPlay and tap it to no success. Then I tried tapping the Carplay shortcut in the top right, still nothing. Looks like there is a small glitch in MBUX that you can get around by simply clicking the home button in the top left instead of clicking anything CarPlay after connecting the device. Then once you’ve gone back “home” then you can click on CarPlay and it loads up right away. Very odd.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:32 PM

C230
The only issue is when connected to the car (after several connect of good connection only after reset the phone Off, slide On) the screen is unreadable, scrambled, pixalized. Till the reset again of the phone again... I repeat the reset is not the reset to factory.. is the one you press a button and slide to OFF... wait little and press the button to turn it on again, wait for the Apple screen to clear and connect it again to the car, is the only solution. Turning off the app open in the background will not help, remove the connection to the car and re Standish connect will not help,
Old 08-23-2020, 09:15 PM

mercedes
Originally Posted by jjerez
upseting
The only way to fix CarPlay issue is to connect your iPhone via a cable to your CarPlay in the car. 2. Do a hard reset On your phone, (do a google search on how to do a hard reset on your phone; every iPhone Is different)( Do not remove the cable when you’re doing the hard reset). 3. Your CarPlay is working and you can thank me by leaving a comment here. Thx

Last edited by ED PR; 08-23-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:30 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
Originally Posted by ED PR
The only way to fix CarPlay issue is to connect your iPhone via a cable to your CarPlay in the car. 2. Do a hard reset On your phone, (do a google search on how to do a hard reset on your phone; every iPhone Is different)( Do not remove the cable when you’re doing the hard reset). 3. Your CarPlay is working and you can thank me by leaving a comment here. Thx
Whoa whoa whoa. " you can thank me by leaving a comment here. Thx"???? Rude man!
Old 10-24-2020, 11:01 AM

Mercedes E220 AMG
Get MB to update the car’s firmware.

Originally Posted by suzy87
I have tried this and it doesn't work, any other suggestions as how to fix it?
MB don’t appear to bother doing this as part of your service. It worked for me.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:08 AM

Mercedes E220 AMG
Been there and done that!

Originally Posted by ED PR
it does work for about an hour. I just told MB to do a firmware update and wouldn’t take no for an answer. You do have to explain that you want the firmware updates and not the maps updated as A. It won’t help and B. They charge a lot for that.
They don’t do firmware updates as part of the service and even if your car is new it is unlikely to have left the factory with the latest version.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:59 AM

GLK 350
My wife's GLC300 is still having this problem and it seems to be worse if one of the kids plugs in their phone to do CarPlay. With her phone always being updated to the latest iOS, there is clearly an issue on the MB system because I know many other people who never have an issue with their CarPlay and those vehicles are significantly cheaper. Having to delete the CarPlay profile, reboot the phone and reboot the MB system... seems like there is a bunch of denial going on at MB.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:12 AM

Mercedes E220 AMG
Update the firmware on the car!

have you had the firmware updated on the car?

Originally Posted by moda_way
My wife's GLC300 is still having this problem and it seems to be worse if one of the kids plugs in their phone to do CarPlay. With her phone always being updated to the latest iOS, there is clearly an issue on the MB system because I know many other people who never have an issue with their CarPlay and those vehicles are significantly cheaper. Having to delete the CarPlay profile, reboot the phone and reboot the MB system... seems like there is a bunch of denial going on at MB.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:43 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic
Yeah, I had issues and there was MBUX update and now it’s flawless. It would work maybe 30-40% of the time without a problem and now it really is 100%
Old 01-07-2021, 07:56 AM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by GLK63AMG
Yeah, I had issues and there was MBUX update and now it’s flawless. It would work maybe 30-40% of the time without a problem and now it really is 100%
Yep, it was in for a look at this very issue this past November and the staff there indicated there were no software updates to the system.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:55 PM

I'm using an iPhone 5, and I have a lot of problems connecting to CarPlay. Its a real pain. I'll plug it in, the phone's screen shows CarPlay starting, but the MBUX on my 2020 GLC says it can't connect to CarPlay. Other times it works fine. If the phone's battery charge is low, does that seem to cause problems for anyone trying to get CarPlay connected and going?
Old 05-30-2021, 02:33 PM

2018 C300
Thank you sir

Once I turned my phone off and back in it worked. Damn thought I’d have to go to the dealer lol.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:26 AM

CLA 250
Originally Posted by peet
Worked for me as well, thanks you are a life saver !! Apple Carplay stopped working suddenly on my 2018 CLA 250 on both my iphones, suspected a hardware usb plug issue on my car but deleting the existing connection following above steps then resetting MB infotainment system (by pressing the car's media power button for around 7 secs until it restarts) did resolve the issue!

Last edited by nassim312; 08-03-2023 at 07:31 AM.