GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

My keyless Go is not opening the tailgate with my foot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300 4MATIC SUV
My keyless Go is not opening the tailgate with my foot

I just bought a GLC 300 and the options show Keyless Go but I can't get the tailgate to open when I wave my foot under the car. What am I doing wrong?
Old 04-01-2019, 05:10 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
That particular feature is "hands free access" and is part of the Parking Assistance Package AKA Advanced Parking Assist Package for model years 2018 and 2019. If you don't have parking assist, you don't get the kick-to-open tailgate.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 129 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Sometimes you have to do a circling type motion towards the center of the bumper with your foot. Kinda of a finicky feature.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Please see response #2 which is spot on - if you have Surround View Rear View Camera you should have "Hands Free Access" trunk-by foot wave
Old 04-02-2019, 08:36 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
2019 GLC 300 - Coupe
Also - if you have a trailer hitch installed - it hinders the sensors. I read somewhere that MB would move the location of the sensor if you get the factory installed trailer hitch as it would block the sensor.

I had it factory installed on my '19 Coupe - and the foot tailgate still rarely works.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by Brandon C
Also - if you have a trailer hitch installed - it hinders the sensors. I read somewhere that MB would move the location of the sensor if you get the factory installed trailer hitch as it would block the sensor.

I had it factory installed on my '19 Coupe - and the foot tailgate still rarely works.
They removed the whole sensor assembly and control box when they fitted my factory hitch.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:05 AM

2019 GLC 300 - Coupe
Originally Posted by tiger_x
They removed the whole sensor assembly and control box when they fitted my factory hitch.
Do you have the retractable trailer hitch assembly - like in the EU? In Canada, we arnt allowed to have that design - we just have the exposed trailer receiver and have to buy the mating ball mount.

If you do - your assembly may be larger and wont allow the sensors?

I do know foot sensor does work - just very intermittently.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:33 AM

GLC43
Do you have the retractable trailer hitch assembly - like in the EU? In Canada, we arnt allowed to have that design - we just have the exposed trailer receiver and have to buy the mating ball mount.

Same here in Australia, we dont get the electric retractable trailer hitch. Ours sounds very similar to what you have described.. When i had a look under the rear bumper, i could see why they had to remove the sensor assembly. My trailer hitch cut out is right where the sensors would run. The tow ball part of the hitch mates with the receiver from underneath the bumper, so it remains quite concealed and neat. I guess the down side to that is they had to remove the sensor assembly... Im working on retro-fitting an ultrasonic sensor to replace the original sensor kit.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC300

Brandon, are you saying you have the factory hitch and sensor? I'm curious as I have the factory hitch (also in Canada) and couldn't find a sensor (but I probably don't know what to look for). In any case I've never been able to open the tailgate hands free.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:23 AM

GLC43
Originally Posted by GLCDon
Brandon, are you saying you have the factory hitch and sensor? I'm curious as I have the factory hitch (also in Canada) and couldn't find a sensor (but I probably don't know what to look for). In any case I've never been able to open the tailgate hands free.
This is what the sensor looks like:
Old 04-03-2019, 10:49 AM

2019 GLC 300 - Coupe
Originally Posted by GLCDon
Yes i do. Ive gotten it to work several times - even my dealer got it to work when I took delivery. He explained that they move the sensor on the 2019 at least because years past had the problem with the tow hitch interfering.

Ive never actually climbed under to see where the sensor was or what it physically looks like.

This is what my rear end looks like for reference (car that is):

Old 04-03-2019, 11:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC300
Originally Posted by tiger_x
This is what the sensor looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wDGhSnWnns
Thanks that helps, fairly certain that's not on mine.

Yes i do. Ive gotten it to work several times - even my dealer got it to work when I took delivery. He explained that they move the sensor on the 2019 at least because years past had the problem with the tow hitch interfering.

Ive never actually climbed under to see where the sensor was or what it physically looks like.

This is what my rear end looks like for reference (car that is):
Ah that explains it, mine is 2018