Acoustic Glass

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 12:30 PM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
2020 GLE 300d
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Cbc200
Having still not had a callback from my local dealer I gave them another call this morning.

The person I spoke to was really helpful and it turns out it is available in the U.K. and they don’t need to contact Germany to order the parts.

If anyone is interested in having it fitted in the U.K. here’s what he told me:

Having searched for parts for my GLC using the chassis number only the normal glass came up - what he did was remove my chassis number from the parts catalogue search and the acoustic glass came up as an option (he’d never had a request for acoustic glass before and I don’t think he really knew what it was), there’s currently 3 in stock for both sides in the U.K. and are £160 for the pair.

The expensive bit is having them fitted as it’s going to cost me another £500 (including discount apparently).

Its probably not worth the cost but I’ve decided to have it done anyway, so will update if I feel it has made difference.
Bad news! I just had a phone call with a car glass repair and replacement company and he told me that it was not possible to simply replace the normal glass by acoustic glass because acoustic glass are twice as heavy and thus need specific window lift motors and some other specific stuff inside the door.

So it doesn't seem to be as easy as we thought it would be ;-(
Old 05-10-2019, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
BS.

This has been done at the us dealers for years with the glc to combat wind noise.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by Nico49_75
Bad news! I just had a phone call with a car glass repair and replacement company and he told me that it was not possible to simply replace the normal glass by acoustic glass because acoustic glass are twice as heavy and thus need specific window lift motors and some other specific stuff inside the door.

So it doesn't seem to be as easy as we thought it would be ;-(
This guy could be mixing up his " acoustic ' and his 'armoured' !!!!!
Old 05-11-2019, 02:14 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLE 350d AMG Line Prem+
Well I can safely say that there are no special requirements to fit the acoustic glass (on the GLC anyway)

I decided not to pay the stealership £500 to fit the glass and actually fitted it myself.

Dealer quoted £500 and said it would take them about 1.5 - 2 hours per side to fit.

Just finished fitting it and the first side took me about 30 minutes, second side 20 once I’d got the gist of it.

The glass itself doesn’t feel any heavier (without weighing it) - although it is a little shorter. There are 2 plastic extenders attached to the bottom of the glass that fit into the window motors (see the photo). The standard glass doesn’t have this and the glass just goes right into the rubber mounts/clamps for the motor.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:34 PM

2020 GLE 300d
Well I can safely say that there are no special requirements to fit the acoustic glass (on the GLC anyway)

I decided not to pay the stealership £500 to fit the glass and actually fitted it myself.

Dealer quoted £500 and said it would take them about 1.5 - 2 hours per side to fit.

Just finished fitting it and the first side took me about 30 minutes, second side 20 once I’d got the gist of it.

The glass itself doesn’t feel any heavier (without weighing it) - although it is a little shorter. There are 2 plastic extenders attached to the bottom of the glass that fit into the window motors (see the photo). The standard glass doesn’t have this and the glass just goes right into the rubber mounts/clamps for the motor.
You did it! Congratulations!

How is the result? How much wider is the acoustic glass?
Old 05-11-2019, 04:22 PM

You did it! Congratulations!

How is the result? How much wider is the acoustic glass?
Thanks!

My car wasn't particularly noisy anyway - didn't have a problem with wind noise but the car does seem ever so slightly quieter with the glass.

Also, it actually seems a little clearer, almost as if you were looking with the window rolled down. I thought I may have been imagining this but my wife also pointed this out too.

I haven't been on the motorway yet and have only been about 40mph, but cars driving past the other way do seem a little quieter.

By wider do you mean the thickness of the glass?

It may be very slightly thicker but I could not tell you without measuring it. If I can find my thickness gauge I will compare them.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:46 PM

2020 GLE 300d
Thanks!

My car wasn't particularly noisy anyway - didn't have a problem with wind noise but the car does seem ever so slightly quieter with the glass.

Also, it actually seems a little clearer, almost as if you were looking with the window rolled down. I thought I may have been imagining this but my wife also pointed this out too.

I haven't been on the motorway yet and have only been about 40mph, but cars driving past the other way do seem a little quieter.

By wider do you mean the thickness of the glass?

It may be very slightly thicker but I could not tell you without measuring it. If I can find my thickness gauge I will compare them.

Yes, sorry, I meant the thickness.

For the noise, if I have the chance to change my glass I think I'll do some measures with a sound level meter app on my tablet before and after replacing the glass.
The following users liked this post:
Cbc200 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300 2018
Yes, sorry, I meant the thickness.

For the noise, if I have the chance to change my glass I think I'll do some measures with a sound level meter app on my tablet before and after replacing the glass.
That would be great!! I'm not sure if I should pay for that or not...
Old 05-13-2019, 12:50 PM

2020 GLE 300d
Originally Posted by PickyBoy
That would be great!! I'm not sure if I should pay for that or not...
Pay for what? For the replacement of the glass or for the app? Btw the app is free.

Best solution would be to test drive a car with and without the acoustic glass to be sure it is worth it...

For the GLE it would be nearly impossible because there is an acoustic pack which includes acoustic glass but not only (there are some other measures). So I would not find a GLE with acoustic glass but without the acoustic package.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300 2018
Pay for what? For the replacement of the glass or for the app? Btw the app is free.

Best solution would be to test drive a car with and without the acoustic glass to be sure it is worth it...

For the GLE it would be nearly impossible because there is an acoustic pack which includes acoustic glass but not only (there are some other measures). So I would not find a GLE with acoustic glass but without the acoustic package.
Pay for the new acoustic glass. With numbers I would be able to decide if it is worth it or not.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:32 AM

2020 GLE 300d

I got a quotation from the dealership this week... EUR 1113 ;-((( Just for the 4 side windows !!!
I'm waiting for the quotation for the replacement but I don't expect it to be cheap...

Btw, I was wondering if the 2 plastic extenders attached to the bottom of your glass were not aimed at reducing the weight of the glass: acoustic glass is heavier than normal glass but with less glass you can have nearly the same weight.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:34 AM

2020 GLE 300d
Originally Posted by PickyBoy
Pay for the new acoustic glass. With numbers I would be able to decide if it is worth it or not.
If I manage to replace the glass with acoustic glass, I'll give you my numbers.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:14 PM

I got a quotation from the dealership this week... EUR 1113 ;-((( Just for the 4 side windows !!!
I'm waiting for the quotation for the replacement but I don't expect it to be cheap...

Btw, I was wondering if the 2 plastic extenders attached to the bottom of your glass were not aimed at reducing the weight of the glass: acoustic glass is heavier than normal glass but with less glass you can have nearly the same weight.
Is this quote just for the acoustic glass without fitting - and are you waiting for the quote to fit?

Also, is this for the GLC?

I ask because as far as I’m aware it is only available for the front two windows and you mention you got a quote for the 4 side windows?

The extenders may be reduce the weight as you say as there is less glass and they feel roughly the same weight as the normal glass.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:14 PM

2020 GLE 300d
Is this quote just for the acoustic glass without fitting - and are you waiting for the quote to fit?

Also, is this for the GLC?

I ask because as far as I’m aware it is only available for the front two windows and you mention you got a quote for the 4 side windows?

The extenders may be reduce the weight as you say as there is less glass and they feel roughly the same weight as the normal glass.
Yes, the quote is just for the acoustic glass without fitting.

And it's available for the new GLE.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:32 PM

Yes, the quote is just for the acoustic glass without fitting.

And it's available for the new GLE.
Ah ok, even so that still seems expensive, given I paid £160 for 2!

Surely the glass is just the same as the GLC, just a slightly different shape/size?

It would have been nice if it was also available for the rear windows in the GLC.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:08 PM

2020 GLE 300d
Ah ok, even so that still seems expensive, given I paid £160 for 2!

Surely the glass is just the same as the GLC, just a slightly different shape/size?

It would have been nice if it was also available for the rear windows in the GLC.
Got an email from the MB dealer after chasing me (for the quotation of the fitting). This time they told me that it is no possible to replace normal glass by acoustic glass because of the thickness and the weight of the acoustic glass and also because the door, the mechanism and the trim are not the same...

I don't know what to think or what to do!
Old 06-17-2019, 12:16 PM

Got an email from the MB dealer after chasing me (for the quotation of the fitting). This time they told me that it is no possible to replace normal glass by acoustic glass because of the thickness and the weight of the acoustic glass and also because the door, the mechanism and the trim are not the same...

I don't know what to think or what to do!
Ah that’s too bad!

As I said, I’ve no idea about the GLE - but if you really want this doing I’d try giving another dealer a call as I was originally told it’s not possible.

I never got the chance to measure the thickness of the two different glasses, but the look the same and weigh about the same on the GLC - so I’d definitely get a second opinion.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:06 AM

2020 GLE 300d
Ah that’s too bad!

As I said, I’ve no idea about the GLE - but if you really want this doing I’d try giving another dealer a call as I was originally told it’s not possible.

I never got the chance to measure the thickness of the two different glasses, but the look the same and weigh about the same on the GLC - so I’d definitely get a second opinion.
Good news! I got my GLE early October and I got confirmation from Mercedes that it was possible to replace the normal glasses by the acoustic glasses. I bought one acoustic glass and have it fitted yesterday and it worked perfectly!

The acoustic glass is the same weight as the normal glass, the same shape and its thickness is also the same within 0,1 millimetre.

Unfortunately the whole process is going to be awfully expensive: the right rear glass only costs 250 € and the fitting 120 €. The front glasses are more expensive and you can also replace the two deflectors...

The following users liked this post:
Cbc200 (01-07-2020)