GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Extended warranty: cancel & buy again later?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 12:49 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 GLC 300 4matic
Extended warranty: cancel & buy again later?

Hi all,

As a new member of the Mercedes family, we just purchased a 2019 GLC 300 4matic.

During the wrap-up with the finance advisor, we purchased the three-year warranty extension that starts as soon as the new car factory warranty ends. The finance advisor stated there would be a 20% surcharge along with a required vehicle inspection if we were to purchase the extended warranty after we left the dealership. Comparing the price we paid for our warranty against some of the quotes which have been shared with the forum, we could have saved $1500, if not more.

The documentation we received with our warranty states we can cancel anytime during the initial new car warranty period & receive a full refund.

If we cancel this extended warranty we purchased from our dealer, will we be able to purchase a similar MB extended warranty (add three years/45000 miles coverage beyond new car warranty) from another dealer at a discounted price or are we prohibited from purchasing any other extended warranties if we cancel this first one?

I ask the forum as the search I conducted didn't yield any helpful information.

Thanks to all,

Cyrus
Old 05-05-2019, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by oskidbear
Hi all,

As a new member of the Mercedes family, we just purchased a 2019 GLC 300 4matic.

During the wrap-up with the finance advisor, we purchased the three-year warranty extension that starts as soon as the new car factory warranty ends. The finance advisor stated there would be a 20% surcharge along with a required vehicle inspection if we were to purchase the extended warranty after we left the dealership. Comparing the price we paid for our warranty against some of the quotes which have been shared with the forum, we could have saved $1500, if not more.

The documentation we received with our warranty states we can cancel anytime during the initial new car warranty period & receive a full refund.

If we cancel this extended warranty we purchased from our dealer, will we be able to purchase a similar MB extended warranty (add three years/45000 miles coverage beyond new car warranty) from another dealer at a discounted price or are we prohibited from purchasing any other extended warranties if we cancel this first one?

I ask the forum as the search I conducted didn't yield any helpful information.

Thanks to all,

Cyrus
You can cancel and buy right away again....do you plan on keeping the car?
The following users liked this post:
oskidbear (05-06-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 05:13 PM
Banned

2019 GLC 300 4matic
Hi kombifan,

Originally Posted by kombifan
You can cancel and buy right away again....
Thank you for confirming that we can, if we chose, to cancel our initial extended warranty purchase & be able to re-purchase again.

Originally Posted by kombifan
....do you plan on keeping the car?
Yes, we do. My wife loves the car but there is a bit of a learning curve to get accustomed to the control layout.

Now, onto getting a reasonable quote for an extended warranty...

Thanks for the bandwidth,
Cyrus
Old 05-06-2019, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well... let's clarify exactly where you are at now... and please understand from the "20% " and the "inspection required" comments the Finance person at your dealership was not being entirely straightforward ,

1st - if the Extended Warranty was included in the Financed Amount the warranty refund would go to the lender and not to you

2nd - if you paid "cash" for your purchase the warranty refund would go back to you and generally that takes 5-6 weeks processing time

3rd - Extended Warranty purchased any time after 30 days of vehicle purchase is subject to a +15% MSRP surcharge from MB and dealer cost for that warranty goes up 5%

The oft mentioned source for strong quotes on Warranty and Prepaid Service is Jeff Jackson Tafel Motors - office tel (502) 894-6829
The following 2 users liked this post by fabbrisd1:
linus69 (05-06-2019), oskidbear (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 05:24 PM
Banned

2019 GLC 300 4matic
Hello fabbrisd1,

Thank you for the additional clarification.

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Well... let's clarify exactly where you are at now... and please understand from the "20% " and the "inspection required" comments the Finance person at your dealership was not being entirely straightforward ,

1st - if the Extended Warranty was included in the Financed Amount the warranty refund would go to the lender and not to you

2nd - if you paid "cash" for your purchase the warranty refund would go back to you and generally that takes 5-6 weeks processing time

3rd - Extended Warranty purchased any time after 30 days of vehicle purchase is subject to a +15% MSRP surcharge from MB and dealer cost for that warranty goes up 5%

The oft mentioned source for strong quotes on Warranty and Prepaid Service is Jeff Jackson Tafel Motors - office tel (502) 894-6829
We qualify as situation 2, having paid in "cash" roughly double what Jeff quoted in reply to my email.

If we cancel, is the cancellation immediate, with the refund taking approximately five to six weeks, or does the cancellation as a whole (refund plus warranty cancellation) take five to six weeks to process, leaving us in limbo between now & that 30 day post-purchase surcharge deadline? I just want to make sure I'm understanding things correctly.

Much appreciated, fabbrisd1.

Thanks for the bandwidth,
Cyrus
Old 05-07-2019, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
" If we cancel, is the cancellation immediate, with the refund taking approximately five to six weeks, or does the cancellation as a whole (refund plus warranty cancellation) take five to six weeks to process, leaving us in limbo between now & that 30 day post-purchase surcharge deadline? I just want to make sure I'm understanding things correctly."

I would feel best if you email Jeff at Tafel for his professional reply - make sure you include your VIN# - and that you want to cancel existing and re-purchase 2nd coverage asap from him.

I would feel badly if I have unintentionally miss something - and with my unintentional mistake muck's something up for you and you have to pay the piper....

Jeff will know exactly what is best..
The following users liked this post:
oskidbear (05-29-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 08:07 PM
Banned

2019 GLC 300 4matic
Hi all,

Apologies for not following up on my communications with Jeff Jackson at Tafel Motors (soon to be Mercedes-Benz of Louisville) along with my communications with the dealer from whom I originally purchased the extended warranty.

In communicating with my selling dealer about my intent to cancel, I was told that due to processing at the dealer group's central office, it would take two to three weeks for the warranty to be entered into the MB system. Well, it's about three weeks since we've purchased the car but the selling dealer says it still hasn't appeared in the MB system.

No worries. I send written authorization to the selling dealer to cancel the extended warranty. I learn it will take up eight to ten weeks to get a refund. Seriously...

Meanwhile, after a few rounds of phone tag, I speak with Jeff & am able to purchase a new extended warranty. A credit card receipt is returned quickly & I'm on my way.

The moral of the story: If you're considering purchasing an extended warranty for your new-to-you MBZ, shop ahead of time, compare prices, & walk away from pushy dealers who try to sell you the same warranty at inflated prices.