GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Bankrupting Mercedes-Benz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 01:06 AM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 GLC 300
Bankrupting Mercedes-Benz

I covered the first 83k miles with my GLC in this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...9-glc-83k.html so this is an update on how the car’s fared since then.

My GLC turned 100,000 miles a few days ago. I missed the big event because I was driving across Canada and had the display set to kilometers. One nice surprise about driving in Canada, though, is that the embrace Entertain works there, WiFi hotspot and all, and in fact more reliably than in my home area in eastern New England. I hadn’t expected it to work at all, being tethered to Version, but there I was driving along Trans Canada 1 streaming my favorite Boston radio station.

The car’s hardly been a paragon of reliability. I figure I am up around $5000 worth of work covered by the CPO warranty just since it went off new car warranty at 50k miles, with another big one coming up tomorrow. It seems that on my last dealer visit before setting off across the continent, they found a leak in a front differential seal, big bucks, but they didn’t have the part. They said it was OK to go anyway but I’d better get it fixed before coming back, ergo tomorrow’s appointment with a dealer in Washington state. I called ahead and they said they’d order the part so hopefully we’re all set for tomorrow.

The thing is, although this car has needed a lot of fixing, it’s all been covered by warranty and none of it has left me stranded, so far. All of these problems have given plenty of warning before turning critical. The only downside has been the inconvenience but being retired that’s not such a big deal. And besides, they give me a nice new Mercedes to drive in the meantime.

The Michelins I put on at 34,000 miles are still good over 65,000 miles later, though I’ll replace them before winter sets in. The rear brakes, pads and rotors, were replaced at 97,000 and the fronts are still good. I’ve long ago quit noticing how quiet the car is and how comfortable the seats are but passengers often comment on it, unsolicited, and it reminds me all over again why I bought the GLC and what a fine car it is for my type of driving.

So my takeaway is great car but never ever ever ever let it get off warranty. At the rate this GLC is going, it will bankrupt Mercedes-Benz before the warranties expire in January of 2024. (OK, slight exaggeration, but you get the point.)
Old 10-16-2019, 09:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC300
Which Michellins did you wind up going with. My 2016 I am picking up tomorrow comes with new Pirellis (26K miles) so I figure if plan to own 4 or so years and 60K miles, I am probably looking at a tire change sometime 2021. From what I have seen more walk away from the run-flats which I have never been a fan of
Old 10-16-2019, 11:43 AM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 GLC 300
When dealers know that you have a warranty that they can exploit, it's funny how those people have a lot more warranty work done! And then they proclaim their happiness that they have a warranty so they didn't have to flip the bill. Yes, it's a scam, especially at luxury dealerships where the manufacturer is quick to approve warranty work to avoid negative press. They just build the cost of covering the bogus warranty work into the price of the car or the extended warranty.

Last edited by 2020GLC300; 10-16-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:30 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by Maui5150
Which Michellins did you wind up going with. My 2016 I am picking up tomorrow comes with new Pirellis (26K miles) so I figure if plan to own 4 or so years and 60K miles, I am probably looking at a tire change sometime 2021. From what I have seen more walk away from the run-flats which I have never been a fan of
I bought the Premier A/S because that was the tire that seemed to have the best test results and suited my needs best at the time. Indeed they've worked out well and I am still happy with them 77,000 miles later, but the tread is getting a bit thin for winter driving and I'll be buying new tires in mid-November. While the Premier A/S's have been great I will probably not be buying them again because in the intervening 20 months other brands have moved to the head of the pack and the A/S's are about in the middle now. As of now I am inclined toward the Continental Crosscontact lx25.

The bottom line is that tires are highly competitive and the technology changes rapidly so who knows what will be best for your car in 2021? So enjoy your GLC (you will) and don't think about tires again until it comes time to replace them.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 R-Design, 2015 E350 Wagon; 2003 C Class; 2009 VW Passat
Great update to a great original post! Happy driving across the continent.